Gibson Brands Forums

SG Standard Pickups

kingbeeinflorida

Yes its a straight swap and because of what else you say I would take it to a tech or music shop to get it done ...and the classic 57s are much nicer than the 490/498t combination#

Thanks for the input. I'll have to take it to a tech to have tehm installed, the 57's are on sale at MF too. And I do like the tone from the 57's, I play blues and the 57's just seem a little warmer to me.

Yes its a straight swap and because of what else you say I would take it to a tech or music shop to get it done ...and the classic 57s are much nicer than the 490/498t combination#

How so? Please explain. This isn't a rebuttle either, but I have a Standard and the pickups are very cohesive. You can get anything out of a Standard IMHO.

So, what can those 57's do that the 490/498 can't? How is the gain compared to the 498T? I can't imagine a greater high gain pickup than that one.

Worth the swap?

To some people, sure.

I'm a 57 believer.

When I bought my doubleneck, I was gonna pull out the 490/498's and put in 57 Classics.

I played it a week and changed my mind.

Incredible guitar - I ain't changing anything!

If I could choose my pickup in any Gibson?

57 Classics everytime.

Spend the money to pull out perfectly good pickups?

No.

I've tried the 57 and 490/498 but I like the 57 classic better, because I don't play guitar with no hi gain overdrive, iam into the classic rock but finally I ended up with the seymour duncan phat cat (single coil pup) and feel more satisfied with single coil pup, I aim for the crunch sound, I have the 61 RI with phat cat now, amusement sound!

Sound is very subjective but to my ears the 498t does nt even come close to the quality of sound you get from the classic 57

When I bought my SG Standard I did about 5 gigs with the standard pickups ( 490/498t) the 490 was OK not bad at all, however I found the clean tones of the 498t awful completely unusable way too mid range - I cant believe that anyone is suggesting that the classic 57 and 498t dont have much difference in sound

The 498 used to kindof bother me. I adjusted the height and now it sounds awesome.

The 490 is just my favorite. I think it has alot to do with individual differences in guitars but the neck pup sounds sooo good on my SG. The cleans are just perfect to my ears. A liitle distortion and they're super creamy sounding. If I turn down the tone on it and add a little distortion people start freaking out. It sounds so cool.

The 498 used to kindof bother me. I adjusted the height and now it sounds awesome.

The 490 is just my favorite. I think it has alot to do with individual differences in guitars but the neck pup sounds sooo good on my SG. The cleans are just perfect to my ears. A liitle distortion and they're super creamy sounding. If I turn down the tone on it and add a little distortion people start freaking out. It sounds so cool.

That's exactly my story as well. The 498 was so high the top E string was bouncing off of the pickup a lot(it annoyed me to even play). But I had it lowered and it sounds great through any amp I use.

I think it's down to personal taste.I have 57's now in my standard, because I found the 498T to middly and muddy for my particular liking, whatever the amp.But I wouldn't swap out pickups untill you have exhausted all the pickup height/volume balance options with your existing ones.

Oh- my avatar's back.

Archived