Gibson Brands Forums

LP Double Cutaway Club

esch

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey man nice guitar, very nice, but i think you should take a bit more pride in owning a Gibson, i mean the guitar had blemishes and finger prints all over it, and lots of scratches on the headtstock.

It wouldn't take that long to give the guitar a quick wipe down with a cloth after playing, and just be a little more careful around the headstock when changing the strings.

No offense intended just a friendly suggestion, we all need to baby these beauties so they last as long as possible.

no offense taken, but actually, thats exactly how i bought it, when i bought it at guitarcenter. ofcourse added the tulip tuners. but thats how it looked, i would wipe it down and the body had areas where the paint looked dull. i liked that guitar, but i traded it for a fender avri hr 57 stratocaster, 2 yrs ago with a freind of mine.

there is some regret but i never connected with it. now im getting more into gibson.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One strange thing I noticed on all these awesome DC's is that on 95% of them, the strap button is on the upper horn.

Mine is on the back of the body by the neck........It is the only part of mine that has taken a while to get used to.

It doesn't really bother me, but it's different and freaks me out every time I pick up that guitar.

I won't change it........don't want extra holes in it, but just odd that most were on the horn.

NHTom

One strange thing I noticed on all these awesome DC's is that on 95% of them, the strap button is on the upper horn.

Mine is on the back of the body by the neck........It is the only part of mine that has taken a while to get used to.

It doesn't really bother me, but it's different and freaks me out every time I pick up that guitar.

I won't change it........don't want extra holes in it, but just odd that most were on the horn.

NHTom

Well, the original double cut Specials, and Juniors (there were no "Standard" model double cuts, at that time) DID

have the front strap buttons on the back of the body near the neck heel, just as the SG's (still) do. So, your's

is "historically" accurate. But, many players, back then, removed it, and placed it on the upper horn, feeling

it was more easily accessed, and better balanced.

CB

• 6 months later...

I dont have a DC but I like em.

I played quite a few 2015 ones but couldnt bond with any. Andersons said they were flying off the shelves, but they always seemed to have plenty in stock.

Then this really nice gold top with carved top appeared at my local shop. Looked the part but still didnt belong.

No DCs this year. Maybe 2017?

As I may have already said, I love the DCs. But I'm in trouble in finding one with "honest" pricing (I consider 800€ -1100USD- for a faded model a steal).

I played a 2015 one, trying to get used to her, but the neck really made me feel uncomfortable. I could even pass over the e-Tune (Grovers were just behind the corner..), or the pickups (they sounded really clear to me. Not bad at all, but they didn't have the meat, the wood and the heat that I expect from a regular P90. I found them way too "Strat sounding"), or the nut (easy to replace with a bone one)....but the wider neck was obviously too wide for my left hand (used to the regular Gibby neck width) [bored] ..

Here in Italy the 2015 line is often sold with a -20/-22 % discount.

As I may have already said, I love the DCs. But I'm in trouble in finding one with "honest" pricing (I consider 800€ -1100USD- for a faded model a steal).

I played a 2015 one, trying to get used to her, but the neck really made me feel uncomfortable. I could even pass over the e-Tune (Grovers were just behind the corner..), or the pickups (they sounded really clear to me. Not bad at all, but they didn't have the meat, the wood and the heat that I expect from a regular P90. I found them way too "Strat sounding"), or the nut (easy to replace with a bone one)....but the wider neck was obviously too wide for my left hand (used to the regular Gibby neck width) [bored] ..

Here in Italy the 2015 line is often sold with a -20/-22 % discount.

You can see the two I own in a post up above.

I found the 2004 DC used for $500 with case at Guitar Center. I snatched that up as quick as I could. It's a great little rocker with those P90's and was as steal for that price, in my opinion. The 2014 Classic I found online on a "scratch & dent" sale for $1700, regularly priced $2500. Guitar arrived in pretty much perfect condition. I think they were trying to get rid of old stock.

New member of the Double Cutaway Club.

I just received my new Les Paul Classic Double Cutaway 120 Anniversary (2014) model. Fortunately, I was able to find a one, as being a 2014 model, there were very few around.

When I first saw it online I knew I had to have one.

I'm a bit of a collector (Strat, Tele, Musicman, Ibanez and a few Epihones) and I always wanted a real Gibson LP but like Strats they have been copied so many times that they have become boringly common and in my opinion not a terribly attractive shape. With the 2014 Classic Double Cutaway, all-of-a-sudden I saw all of the features of a LP Std but in a different shape.

I get the same materials, same construction, same hardware, etc. and Gibson quality/name, in what to me is a much more appealling shape - and different to the over-copied LP shape. There is also the added bonus that they were built in limited quantities (I believe for only 1 month in 2014), which adds to their exclusivity. I don't mind the 12th fret banner at all, as it is not too ostentatious (nowhere near as bad as what they did in 2015). I know there have been a few different DCs in the past but the 2014 Classic model has identical specs to the LP Std whereas most others are very different.

I've also never been a fan of the multitude of knobs on most Gibsons (I think Eddie Van Halen had the right idea - only 1), and the DC has only 2 knobs, which ticked another of my boxes... and two other boxes ticked - trans red is my fav colour and I love flamed maple tops. Another bonus of the DC shape is that it balances much better with the strap button on the horn, than the normal LP shape. Finally a LP I could really love and being an old model the shop had it marked way down, so I just couldn't resit!

It was interesting to compare it with my top-of-the-range Epiphone LP 1960 Tribute Plus that came with Gibson 57 pups. I kind of expected the Gibson might not meet the immaculate standard of finish on my Epiphone (I have read about and seen many very poorly finished Gibsons) but my DC was pretty good and not too far off (excellent but not immaculate). I was a bit surprised the AAA flame maple on the Gibson wasn't a patch on the stunning Epiphone wood. The Gibson has strong grain lines running vertically and with the flaming running horizontaly, it almost looks like checkerboard in certain lighting. Mind you I know the Epihone flame is just a thin veneer and the Gibson is a full thinkness cap.

But... when it came to playing them I was stunned by how amazing the Gibson sounded - somehow, full and rich but clear and articulate... just sounded like a real LP, like you hear on recordings. I'm a bit of a sceptic (always suspected the Gibson aura was just hype) and would never have believed how much better it sounded than the Epiphone, if I hadn't done the comparison myself. Also, just as amazing was the feel of the Gibson. The neck (a 60s thin style) was thinner, flatter and wider, with wider string spacing but just a dream to play. I always imagined that Epiphone would have copied all the specs exactly but it wasn't even close. Also, the frets, finger board and strings just felt incredibly comfortable and made bending/vibrato such a breeze that I found myself tweaking every note I played.

Well after a week-long love affair with my LP Classic DC I started checking out the 2015 LP Special DC - kind of the baby brother to my new guitar.

Again I was never really attracted to the LP Junior but the DC seemed to me much more appealing. I quite liked the idea of a stripped back baby brother to my Classic DC and the single coil pups would give me a different tonal range. I was also impressed with the wonderfull simplicity of the wrap-around bridge and I especially like the bound neck on the 2015 model that Juniors and Specials don't normally have. A Gibson with an unbound neck just doesn't seem right to me.

I noticed online that a local shop had one going cheap. It was a TV yellow version, which wouldn't have been my first choice (yes there is a trans red version too), but I thought I'd drop in to check it outand maybe look online for the trans red version. In the shop lighting the colour was absolutely horrible! The pics online didn't look anywher near as bad, and I had seen Fender's version of that colour and it was not too bad. But this one looked like dull, snot-green muck! I couldn't believe Gibson would do such an ugly colour.

Anyway, after playing with it for a while, I started to think maybe it's not so bad - kind of like the ugly child that only a mother could love. Something with character, unusual and not so popular.

And yes, I read plenty about the contoversial 'features' of the 2015 range. The hologram on the back didn't bother me in the least. The scrawled logo on the head-stock was ugly but kind of went with the theme, of (the colour) ugly but different and a bit more exclusive. The adjustable nut also didn't bother me, but the wider neck was a bit of an issue - really didn't feel that good. But I know what necks are like, each-to-their-own and you can get used to just about anything. So I figured I could live with it.

Now this might sound like blasphemy but I actually found the G-Force Tuners pretty neat. Mind you, I am in Computing and love techie stuff. If nothing else it impressed my partner and helped me justify ANOTHER guitar.

And, the store was so desperate to get rid of it, they kept coming down on the price till it was half the original! Well I just couldn't reaist, so I bought it.

Fortunately, out in the daylight, the colour wasn't quite so bad. Still, it seems a very strange colour choice for Gibson, even if it is a famous, traditional colour - you would think they would have tweaked it a bit over the years, to make it more appealing?

Anyway, it sounds great through my amp at home. Has a real growl to it and is such a neat little guitar. Oh, and I discovered that the 2015 models also have lower frets. Another thing I will have to get used to. It actually makes bending harder, not easier as the marketing blurb claims (your fingers rub against the fret board causing added friction).

post-61402-021498400 1459255435_thumb.jpg

New member of the Double Cutaway Club.

Hi Ess,

Ok you have a 2014 DC and a 2015 DC, with a whole 0.100” difference in neck width. What do you prefer? The wider 2015 or the traditional slim 2014?

PS. I much prefer the shape of the DCs also.

Oh, and I discovered that the 2015 models also have lower frets. Another thing I will have to get used to. It actually makes bending harder, not easier as the marketing blurb claims (your fingers rub against the fret board causing added friction).

That doesnt sound right. I played several of these last year and dont recall anything like that. I suppose you may be pressing harder or just have a different slurring style?

From many reviews of the 2015 range...

Eg. https://reverb.com/news/the-2015-gibson-line-up-reactions-and-reality

"The one very surprising new feature that I found had the most impact was the lower fret wire. For my playing, the frets were too low, and I found my fingers dragging on the fretboard more than any other Gibson I played. I found this difficult to get used to, and it distracted from the playing experience. Ironically, it seems like a hearkening back to the “fretless wonder” Les Paul Custom."

I am much preferring the 2014 narrower neck but I luv my little LP Special so much that I am happy to live with it's wide neck. I most notice the wide neck when I do thumb-overs and reaching for the low strings but it's not a biggie.

Oh, the width difference IS substantial and very noticeable. You can clearly see it if you zoom in on the pics I attached. I kind of wondered why Gibson went so far with the increase. Half the increase would have been noticeable and far more bearable for most people.

From many reviews of the 2015 range...

Eg. https://reverb.com/news/the-2015-gibson-line-up-reactions-and-reality

"The one very surprising new feature that I found had the most impact was the lower fret wire. For my playing, the frets were too low, and I found my fingers dragging on the fretboard more than any other Gibson I played. I found this difficult to get used to, and it distracted from the playing experience. Ironically, it seems like a hearkening back to the “fretless wonder” Les Paul Custom."

I am much preferring the 2014 narrower neck but I luv my little LP Special so much that I am happy to live with it's wide neck. I most notice the wide neck when I do thumb-overs and reaching for the low strings but it's not a biggie.

Oh, the width difference IS substantial and very noticeable. You can clearly see it if you zoom in on the pics I attached. I kind of wondered why Gibson went so far with the increase. Half the increase would have been noticeable and far more bearable for most people.

I had to ask as I was curious.

I have both types of neck also, but I prefer the wider one.

Since you mention that half the width increase would be better, did you know that the 2016 HP models do have half the increase (0.050”) on their fretboards?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived