Gibson Brands Forums

LP Double Cutaway Club

esch

So. I ended up returning my Les Paul Classic Double Cutaway 120th because the store that sold it to me as a "Dent & Scratch" put the same guitar up for sale BRAND NEW for $300 less than what I paid. They were actually very nice and took the guitar back out of principle since it was under 30 days.

However, I had been looking at this one for awhile and finally purchased it last week. Showed up on Wednesday:

2011 Gibson Les Paul Double Cutaway Classic Exclusive (Classic White with Dark Back)

gibsonlpdcexcw.jpg

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope i can be excused for posting up a non-Gibson DC here, but this build is clearly informed by the LP DC.

I am very interested in this walnut top custom build. Its a great deal more expensive than a genuine Gibson DC, but thats to be expected with a luthier build. The builder is a Gibson approved repairer.

The knob near the bridge is a selection switch.

James-Collins-5-682x1024.jpg

frankBm4,

That is quite possibly the coolest guitar I have seen all month!

Bravo, sir.

Great purchase!

[love]

Thanks! I was on the search for a specific Les Paul and the Dallas International Guitar Festival was last weekend. I told myself that if I didn't find that guitar there I'd come home and pull the trigger on this. Needless to say I didn't find the guitar, but this one is a beauty and even more rare than I thought.

Glad you like it!

-F.

I hope i can be excused for posting up a non-Gibson DC here, but this build is clearly informed by the LP DC.

I am very interested in this walnut top custom build. Its a great deal more expensive than a genuine Gibson DC, but thats to be expected with a luthier build. The builder is a Gibson approved repairer.

The knob near the bridge is a selection switch.

James-Collins-5-682x1024.jpg

That reminds me of the Gibson Spirit II XPL only the XPL has a few extra switches and the Explorer headstock. The body looks the same. I'm actually watching one of those online right now. Thinking of adding it too the collection. Looks like a fun guitar.

Sorry, I couldn' t resist [biggrin]

gibson24.jpg

Well it is a Double Cut and a Gibson.

Its also pretty, and while I still prefer the profile of the PL DC, I have always preferred the look of SGs over single cut LPs. TBH I dont like the look of single cut solidbodys at all. And I'd better shut up now before I get lynched!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I went back did a search to find the 2014 Classic LE since I returned it earlier this year. Someone was selling it used as a great price. Not a scratch on it. I also preordered the new 2016 Standard. Here's my DC line up:

gibsonlpdcs.jpg

2016 Les Paul Standard Double Cutaway Limited (Ocean Water)

2011, Les Paul Double Cutaway Classic Exclusive (Classic White with Dark Back)

2014 Gibson Les Paul Classic Double Cutaway (Translucent Red)

2004 Gibson Les Paul Special Double Cutaway (Faded)

@frankbm4

Great collection. I have the same red classic and a TV yellow special.

I always thought the name DC Classic was odd because the specs are almost identical to a LP std.

After seeing that the 2016 DC was called a std, I swapped the knobs to speed knobs and put a 'standard' truss rod cover on it.

@frankbm4

Great collection. I have the same red classic and a TV yellow special.

I always thought the name DC Classic was odd because the specs are almost identical to a LP std.

After seeing that the 2016 DC was called a std, I swapped the knobs to speed knobs and put a 'standard' truss rod cover on it.

Interesting observation. I did a comparison and did find few things that were different.

For example:

• The 2014 has Grade-AAA maple top while the new 2016 has an AA+ grade (Whatever that means...plus what? Another A?)
  • The 2014 comes with Burstbucker Rhythm Pro in the neck and Burstbucker Lead Pro in the bridge
  • The 2016 has Zebra Humbuckers (Rhythm Pro and Lead Pro). The guitars do sound different. They seem to be all over the place with pickups on what kind go in what LP
  • The 2016 has locking tuners
  • No switch ring on the 2014
  • On the 2016 they moved the strap button from the top horn to the back
  • From what I can gather the 2014 is a solid body while the 2016 is chambered
  • To test this I weighed them both. The 2014 came in at almost 10 lbs and the 2016 came in at almost 9 (both with same straps attached)

So there are some subtle differences, but I think the fact that the 2014 Classic LE is a solid body that's what makes the difference in the naming the DCs. Clearly it's not the same as regular single-cut LP because I have a 2015 Les Paul classic and it is weight-relieved.

Not sure how or why they named that one Classic. Usually Classics will have it engraved in the truss rod cover too as my 2015 does.

-F.

Interesting observation. I did a comparison and did find few things that were different.

For example:

• The 2014 has Grade-AAA maple top while the new 2016 has an AA+ grade (Whatever that means...plus what? Another A?)
  • The 2014 comes with Burstbucker Rhythm Pro in the neck and Burstbucker Lead Pro in the bridge
  • The 2016 has Zebra Humbuckers (Rhythm Pro and Lead Pro). The guitars do sound different. They seem to be all over the place with pickups on what kind go in what LP
  • The 2016 has locking tuners
  • No switch ring on the 2014
  • On the 2016 they moved the strap button from the top horn to the back
  • From what I can gather the 2014 is a solid body while the 2016 is chambered
  • To test this I weighed them both. The 2014 came in at almost 10 lbs and the 2016 came in at almost 9 (both with same straps attached)

So there are some subtle differences, but I think the fact that the 2014 Classic LE is a solid body that's what makes the difference in the naming the DCs. Clearly it's not the same as record single-cut LP because I have a 2015 Les Paul classic and it is weight-relieved.

-F.

I kinda meant... of the 2014 range the DC Classic most closely matched the LP Std (Single cut) and not the LP Classic (single cut).

Hmmm... I thought the pups were the same (minus the covers) but that they had just abbreviated the name. No?

I think that AAA is a step above AA+.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Classic-Double-Cutaway.aspx these specs say traditional weight relief in the 2014, but still not the modern weight relief as in the 2016.

My 2014 came WITH the switch ring but I didn't like it so I took it off. The promo/website pics all show it without??

Moving the strap button seems a backward step. Balances much better on the horn.

So the only upgrade is the locking tuners but a few downgrades in my estimation.

Still don't understand why the Classic designation on the 2014?... except maybe because of the trad weight relief as opposed to the modern. Classics usually have Classic 57 pups or a variation there of, tulip tuners, etc.

I kinda meant... of the 2014 range the DC Classic most closely matched the LP Std (Single cut) and not the LP Classic (single cut).

Hmmm... I thought the pups were the same (minus the covers) but that they had just abbreviated the name. No?

I think that AAA is a step above AA+.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Classic-Double-Cutaway.aspx these specs say traditional weight relief in the 2014, but still not the modern weight relief as in the 2016.

My 2014 came WITH the switch ring but I didn't like it so I took it off. The promo/website pics all show it without??

Moving the strap button seems a backward step. Balances much better on the horn.

So the only upgrade is the locking tuners but a few downgrades in my estimation.

Still don't understand why the Classic designation on the 2014?... except maybe because of the trad weight relief as opposed to the modern. Classics usually have Classic 57 pups or a variation there of, tulip tuners, etc.

I think I you might be right. It could be style of the weight relief that makes it a "Classic". Every online store I found has it as a solid body while listing other guitars as weight-relieved.

I was curious to why they moved the strap button, but I didn't notice it until it arrived. It does change the balance, but I don't notice it when I'm playing. Could be how low I have the body.

That's interesting that yours came WITH a switch ring. Both this one and the one I originally ordered and returned did not come with the switch ring.

Haha! I was joking about the AA+. I just wonder what that means since the gradings are A, AA, and AAA. Are they saying it's ALMOST an AAA but not quite?

I actually get more compliments on the Classic White which has no flame at all. I think because it's just a really rare find. It also retailed for a lot more than the other two at around $3500. (I didn't pay that much for it.)

Still, I think you're right. I think the 2014 is a better guitar on paper. I also like the crown inlay in the headstock. I think it gives it that extra something to make it a bit more classy.

-F.

I think I you might be right. It could be style of the weight relief that makes it a "Classic". Every online store I found has it as a solid body while listing other guitars as weight-relieved.

I was curious to why they moved the strap button, but I didn't notice it until it arrived. It does change the balance, but I don't notice it when I'm playing. Could be how low I have the body.

That's interesting that yours came WITH a switch ring. Both this one and the one I originally ordered and returned did not come with the switch ring.

Haha! I was joking about the AA+. I just wonder what that means since the gradings are A, AA, and AAA. Are they saying it's ALMOST an AAA but not quite?

I actually get more compliments on the Classic White which has no flame at all. I think because it's just a really rare find. It also retailed for a lot more than the other two at around $3500. (I didn't pay that much for it.)

Still, I think you're right. I think the 2014 is a better guitar on paper. I also like the crown inlay in the headstock. I think it gives it that extra something to make it a bit more classy.

-F.

Yes I luv your white one. Looks great and very unusual with the black back.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived