Gibson Brands Forums

Weather stripping?

Gilliangirl

Does anyone know which is the best kind of weather stripping to get for the exterior doors? Winter's coming and I can actually see the light coming through the side of my back door. Not a good sign. I went to Home Despot but they had spongey types, rubber types, plastic types, etc. I didn't have a clue what was best and there was no one around who knew. Btw, if you're interested in 18 year old girls, go to Home Despot. There's millions of them walking around wearing uniforms (but they don't know anything)

Tough question becuase it depends on the type of door frame you have and the kind of gap you talk about. Is the door not reaching the frame? or it does reach but does not sit tight against the door frame?

Newer houses usually have door frames that have a grove where the rubber type stripping snaps in.

If you have an older house most likey you need stripping that has adhesive backing, measure the gap and then buy stripping that will fit, meaning it will not get completely squished by the door or still leave a gap.

Clean the door frame before you apply it. If the gaps are uneven around the door you can always add another layer of foam stripping on the higher spots only.

The stripping has to be on the side where the door is going to close flat, this in turn (sometimes)poses a problem on the side where the door has the hindges because the door swivels and you most likely will have to add stripping to the side where the hindges are on the frame.

I hope I did not confuse you.

Hi SH, thanks for the advice. The door was never installed properly and is actually too small for the frame. But I'm tired of dealing with the company as they are terrible. I paid $1500.00 for this door and it doesn't fit right. I can stick my index finger right between the frame and the door. When I stand on the inside of the door I can see the daylight shining through around the door. So, I figured if I bought some decent weather stripping I could make it work. I know what you're going to say.... phone the company back. I did that and they sent out some old guy who was severely hygiene-challenged. He did nothing except move the stripping around a few times then he left.

Ah that is a tough one, contractors suck, (most of them anyway).

Weather stripping is designed to do a certain thing but it may not work for your needs. You may end up having to add wood to the frame and then add stripping.

If you post a pic I could maybe give better advise.

Hi SH' date=' thanks for the advice. The door was never installed properly and is actually too small for the frame. But I'm tired of dealing with the company as they are terrible. I paid $1500.00 for this door and it doesn't fit right. I can stick my index finger right between the frame and the door. When I stand on the inside of the door I can see the daylight shining through around the door. So, I figured if I bought some decent weather stripping I could make it work. I know what you're going to say.... phone the company back. I did that and they sent out some old guy who was severely hygiene-challenged. He did nothing except move the stripping around a few times then he left.[/quote']

For "our" weather and in this case, what you need to do is put a piece of moulding around the door on the outside. You can nail it using brad or brad type nails to the door frame and the wall of your house. Then get a couple of cans of the expandable spray foam and fill the void from the inside of the house all around the door. After it has dried trim off any excess with a knife and can cover it with another piece of moulding for the interior.

BTW - using the expandable spray foam to fill the voids around all the windows and other doors in your house will make a very noticeable difference in your heating bills in the winter and AC bills in the summer.

Brian

Okay, I re-read it. Could be that the door latch needs adjusting. If the daylight is brighter near the latch side of the door, then the latch needs to be adjusted so the door latches tighter against the foam seal. It could be they didn't get the frame trued up and it's racked out of square. Doors are not randomly sized. Your front entrance is most likely 36", The next size down is 34". It's an industry standard. You'd be able to put a fist between the door and jamb if they'd used the 'wrong sized' door.

I'm gonna say it anyways. After spending $1500.00 for a new door, one shouldn't have to look at Macklinburg-Dunkin strip foam when one opens ones own front door for at least 10 - 15 years. If you put aftermarket foam on this to fix it, this low life so-called door installer wins.

There's more than one way to skin this rat. Find a husky male friend and have him intimidate the offending company into doing their job. Tell them to have B. O. Plenty stay in the shop, or at least take a shower before coming over. One could make signs for your car "_________Door and Window Co. = SHODDY WORK." One sign for each rear side window. Big letters as few a words as possible. Drive around town for a few days and maybe he'll get the hint. Make a similar sign for your front yard, and/or front window. Got any friends at the local TV station?

Ah that is a tough one' date=' contractors suck, (most of them anyway).

[/quote']

Hey now, I'm not a bad guy and home repair is my business.

Anyway it is hard to really tell what is the best fix without seeing the problem.

Based on the explanation, I am siding with TommyK: They installed the wrong sized door for the frame. My wife and I became home owners last fall and I have the exact same issue with my back door. Aside from the screen door looking like someone took a crowbar and mallet to it, the storm door is two inches too small for the frame. The gaps sound like they are the same size as yours. We had the frame jury rigged with a few shims, but the gaps are still bad. Before the cold sets in we'll be redoing the whole thing.

Hey now' date=' I'm not a bad guy and home repair is my business.

Anyway it is hard to really tell what is the best fix without seeing the problem.[/quote']

Gilliangirl's next question, after your answer, is going to be "do you make housecalls"...:D

Gilliangirl's next question' date=' after your answer, is going to be "do you make housecalls"...:D [/quote']

Ha Ha.....if I was in the area yeah...... the problem on the door sounds like it has to to with the trim that should cover the space between the door jamb and the rough opening (2 x 4 framing ) this is common when newer doors are installed and the contractor may just want to use a stock size door that will fit with the least amount of work.

It can be done the right way......but as we are aware a lot of people don't take the time and effort anymore to please the customer and do things correctly. Some new larger molding with insulation stuffed into the gap under it may solve the problem. May need larger exterior molding as well with all cracks caulked and painted.

my website Schmidt Service Group

Is the Groper doing side jobs?

:-&/

I won't allow that one to fly without comment. Hey, I was in the shower when it was posted. Ironic, no? Very. Murph, did I ever tell you just what those of us in the 101st Hellfighters specialized at getting done ever so quietly while over there in far away long forgotton Southeast Asia? Or, did I mention how I came to lose my toenails, one at a time, without making so much as a sound? And here I went and helped you get your minature 335 bonified as a Custom Model Guitar. The thanks one gets. Sappers never even make it to the outer ring against my outfit. Close young fella, close. You're out of the will, and all those ancient 335s of mine now go to Fort Campbell, Kentucky. :-

Okay, here's the pictures. I think the door is too small for the frame but I really am just guessing. What do y'all think? The daylight shines through between the door and the frame, where my finger is in the picture. But it shines through on all sides.

IMG_0939.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

IMG_0941.jpg

IMG_0942.jpg

Nice finger' date=' but you should have bought a prehung door, then you just make the door frame fit the hole. Level, plumb, and it all works.

God bless ya......

[/quote']

Well, my skin's a bit dry right now, and my freckles are visible what with summer and all, but yeah my finger is okay. LOL

The door tho'..... I think I need to call them and tell them to do it properly.

Sorry - I thought you were saying the gap was between the door frame and the outside wall. That was the basis of my reply. I would have the door frame rebuilt to fit the door if you cannot get the contractor to do their job properly. Fight back. Get a lawyer or go to small claims court.

I don't make my living doing that but these kind of contractors amke life very difficult for one that are honest and do good work.

Do you not get Holmes on Homes out in Calgary?? Lots of good tip in the show.

Archived