Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Solidbodies in order of preference.

Laney1566

Hey guys...Just curious as to what order you would put these in and why.

This is my preference...

1. Les Paul

Great punch and the best harmonics.

2. SG

Straight up tone and playability.

3. Explorer

Great punch with the higher output pickups. A great metal guitar.

4. Flying V

Proven hard rocker. 4th in my book because it's primarily a stand-up guitar. Slightly more akward than the Explorer

5. Firebird

I have only a couple of hours under my belt with one of these. Played good and sounded ok, but for the money I prefer the other 4 listed above.

Also...I can't stand the look of the reverse firebirds.

Now don't get me wrong.....All would be welcome in my rack!!

Flying V - Sounds fantastic & is actually the EASIEST to play while sitting (cmon guys, you tuck the lower 'wing' behind your right knee so your right heel is under your taint & BAM, you're in the classical Suzuki position, with good posture and everything!). Only prob, it doesn't have the fat 59 neck profile that I love.

Night Hawk Custom - sounds great, plays great (fat 59 neck, yeah!), nice bound flame top & split-parallelogram inlays ... but the body is juuuuust a smidge too small. It feels like I'm playing a Chiquita guitar sometimes... plus the heel (see below)

Les Paul, what everybody else said. However, it is heavy (I don't care what the macho dudes around here say) and I wish it had a carved heel, 'Axcess'-style

SG - Sounds great but it's so light that the headstock is a big ole counterweight. (Also, no fat 59 neck)

Hey guys...Just curious as to what order you would put these in and why.

This is my preference...

1. Les Paul

Great punch and the best harmonics.

2. SG

Straight up tone and playability.

3. Explorer

Great punch with the higher output pickups. A great metal guitar.

4. Flying V

Proven hard rocker. 4th in my book because it's primarily a stand-up guitar. Slightly more akward than the Explorer

5. Firebird

I have only a couple of hours under my belt with one of these. Played good and sounded ok' date=' but for the money I prefer the other 4 listed above.

Also...I can't stand the look of the reverse firebirds.

Now don't get me wrong.....All would be welcome in my rack!![/quote']

Gibson makes soild body models? I'll be darned.

You should look into the RawPower SG; its a heavier guitar' date=' thicker neck and is balanced (no nose dives).

[/quote']

Hmmmm. Did not know that.

Hmmmm.

LP

All others equally.

Love Vs, SGs, Firebirds, Explorers.... but the LP is my favorite above all others.

• 1 month later...

1 - Les Paul slab, double-cut... Junior or Special style.

Lightweight, balanced, and a relatively small size.

2 - Flying V (Reverse included...)

Something about that big arrow draws me in. I actually want a matched set of the standard and Reverse in natural/Korina.

3 - Explorer

I like the idea of seeing me playing one. I'm an average-sized guy, so a huge guitar would be a nice contrast.

4 - SG

I've never been a huge fan, but under the right circumstances I could see myself with one. I'm more likely to buy an SG than an Explorer, however.

5 - Firebird

Just not a huge fan... I don't see myself using it for any kind of music. The Les Paul is pretty much universal, the Flying V is a great rock guitar, as with the Explorer... but the SG and Firebird just don't seem like anything I could ever use. Maybe it'll change, though. I see the Firebird as the Gibson equivalent of the Fender Jazzmaster.

The Reverse Firebird (or non-Reverse, I suppose) is all the way at the bottom. It's one of the ugliest guitars in existence, as far as I'm concerned.

The Moderne actually would tie with the Flying V, of course... but since my chances of owning one are pretty much nonexistent, I don't consider it.

1. Les Paul

2. Firebird

3. Explorer

4. V (Standard V only - the reverse V is my least favorite guitar made)

5. SG (Nice enough guitar but not for me I'd rather play a Jr or a L6-2 for that sound)

I like pretty much everything in the Gibson line up the only one that I wouldn't want anything to do with is the reverse V. It's the ugliest guitar ever made in my opinion wouldn't play one and wouldn't want one even if they gave them away free. They have several others including the holey V and Holey explorer that are almost as bad now the reverse Explorer I actually liked even with the weird headstock it was kinda interesting the reverse V nope.

SG...

Ain't even touched a LP in so long I don't remember. I s'pose I could go for the lighter Special or whatever.

Odd thing about the SG is that it's a lot more versatile than what people credit it for. Heck, I've done my jazz stuff on it and some friends say it sounds better than the hollow/semihollows.

So... I dunno.

Anyway, I think SG balance is a matter of taste. Never had problems with it really. I like that it's light. If I'm using a strap I think I tend to wear it higher on the body than a lotta people, especially nowadays, so it fits with the strings about where they'd be if I were playing a 335-size guitar.

The other shapes are okay, I guess. The LP has some sound advantages but... again it's been so long since I've touched any of the other Gibson solidbody shapes.... The SG seems to have any sound you want... Now if I had a p90 as well as the humbucker version... <grin>

BTW, I like the thin neck.

m

Archived