Gibson Brands Forums

There is any diffrence between SG Special and Standard ?

krazy_guitar

Hi to everyone !

(and apologies for my bad english)

I would like to ask if apart from the stetical details (trapezoidal / point fingerboard inlays, different headstock logo and crown, and pickups model) there is any other difference between a SG Special and a SG Standard.

I mean if the Special is a smaller body or thinner than the Standard or both are exactly same size and body thickness and neck length and difference is only on pickups and estetical details.

THANKX !!!!

The body size/shape should be the same. What is different is that you get no "bling" with the specials. They don't have the neck binding, the holly inlay, the gibson inlay, and they also don't have the gloss nitro finish. Instead they have a much thinner satin nitro finish that will wear through relatively quickly. Also the faded specials come with 490R and 490T pickups, while the standard has a 498T "Hot Alnico" in the bridge, and both pickups have chrome covers on them.

Where the neck meets the body there is a 1/4 inch step, meaning the neck is thinner at the joint. Structurally that's the only difference I've noticed. The body is marked special or standard under the neck pick up which leads me to believe that there must be some difference there that they would need to mark them but I don't know what it is unless it's just the bare wood being less finished or maybe the neck pocket is different to accommodate the thinner special neck joint?

The pots and pups are different.

There seems to be more care taken in the finished product between specials and standards. Almost all of the screw heads in my special were stripped from the factory where my standards are all nice and unblemished.

Those are the differences I've noticed, there could be more.

I've Got an 01 Special and I think its Has The Normal Finish but The Neck is Fatter

Than a Standard, IMO.

Also my 2001 Has a Old Style ABR with the Wire Retainer with Real Small Thin Threaded Studs Screwed

Deep into the Body that Makes it Sound a Little Different than The Nashville Equiped Models that Require

a Hole Be Drilled and an Insert installed For the Larger Threaded Studs that Go with the Nashville.

Hi again

and thanks for your comments.

The SG I´m thinking to buy is the Wine Red finish Special, not the faded model, then; so it´s supposed that the nitro coat and glossy finish is the same than in the Standards ?

We sure can say that the body size and thickness is the same for both ?

I mention this because when I checked the Special, it seems to be so small as a toy guitar to my taste (I´m 1.89 meter tall and 108 kilos), so this Special seemed like a guitar to be used with the Play Station "Guitar Hero" game or so...

I wonder if the Standads really are a bit bigger. Maybe I´m too big for a SG or maybe the guys using this guitar are pretty small.

THANKS !!!

Look how much better the standard looks than the others just by the wood alone.

Are you talking about the faded special or regular special?

The standard is worth the extra money over the gloss special IMO.

The faded specials are unique because the small amour of nitro makes it feel very different.

I would personally only buy a used faded on the cheap.

We sure can say that the body size and thickness is the same for both?

Yes' date=' I see no difference in them to speak of.

small as a toy guitar to my taste (I´m 1.89 meter tall and 108 kilos)

Maybe I´m too big for a SG or maybe the guys using this guitar are pretty small.

I've considered the same thing....

2207074175_297fd59b9c.jpg

I'm the same height and 135 kg.

:-)

It doesn't look too bad here, but the SG (and Les Paul too) look pretty small on me.

Mrs. Neo suggested I play my 335 or double neck in gigs....

:-k

I don't do metric, but trust me...I'm bigger than both of you.....

And the only time a SG feels like a toy guitar is when it's plugged into a toy amp!!

I had mostly seen the SG because of Angus Young before I bought one. I was suprized to find out just how small it really was.

Angus kinda gave it an optical illusion of being a giant guitar...lol

But it sure playes and sounds like a giant guitar!!!!!!

Same illusion for me.

First time I actually played a Les Paul I was 20 years old.

When I put it on and looked down I was surprised by how small it was.

Everybody talked about how heavy they are, I naturally assumed they must be BIG as well.

Smaller than the SG in silhouette - by a long shot.

Hi again

Thanks for sharing your comments with me.

I started this post because on the last gig with my band one friend of mine borrowed me his SG Wine Red Special to check it out. When I saw the photos of that gig and saw myself with the SG, I seemed ridiculous with such a small looking guitar, BUT the answer of this may be that I used the same guitar strap that I use for my Les Paul Special, so the SG fits me too high on my body. I´ve bougth a new larger strap, and now it looks different, not so small to my eyes.

I thougth that maybe the Special could be smaller or thinner than the well known Standard, but you guys have helped me to ensure that this was not true.

By the way, I never played an SG before, and I have to say that IT SOUNDS TERRIFIC !!! even the Special, that has the 490 pickups on brigde... I don´t want to know how it would rock a Standard with the 498´s !!!

Thanks again !!!!

Archived