Gibson Brands Forums

Was the SG the first Metal guitar?

Twiz

A lot of people credit bands like Blue Cheer and Cream with laying the foundation for Heavy Metal. Jerre Peterson and Eric Clapton both played SG's. Later, Tony Iommi's thimbled fingers played some of the heaviest riffs ever created...

So, was the Gibson SG the first Metal guitar?

I'd say a good case could be made for it. It all depends on what you count as "Metal", and what guitar they used. With Iommi there's a very strong case to declare the SG to the first "metal" guitar, as black sabbath was really what I consider to be the first mainstream "metal" band, which isn't just do to their music, but also the subject material.

I don't like to think of my SG as devilish or metal. I think of it as a sexy, classic '60s kindof trippy looking guitar. Not really trippy... just in that '60s style.

If you want to look at it as a metal guitar, that would be easy to do :-k

Anyways do you mean the first metal looking guitar or the first guitar to play metal?

I'd have to see everyguitar made in and before that time period to answer that.

Did the explorer or V come first?

...Anyways do you mean the first metal looking guitar or the first guitar to play metal?

I'd have to see everyguitar made in and before that time period to answer that.

Did the explorer or V come first?

Yeah' date=' I was referring more to the first guitar to play metal. I think you're definitely right about the Flying V or Explorer being a more metal looking guitar.

I'd say it is, but mine can play jazz, blues, classic rock and (gasp) country.

It's a guitar. It plays what I tell it to play......

My thoughts exactly. When I first got my Standard, I was mostly into only Heavy Metal, but I knew that the SG was versatile. -I could play other stuff with it if my musical tastes would change.

I'd say it is' date=' but mine can play jazz, blues, classic rock and (gasp) country.

It's a guitar. It plays what I tell it to play......

[/quote']

No no no no no--an SG can't play country--I am a country picker,and it can ONLY be done on a Fender,preferably my Custom Shop Tele. Country pickin' DOES NOT work on my '61 RI.

No no no no no--an SG can't play country--I am a country picker' date='and it can ONLY be done on a Fender,preferably my Custom Shop Tele. Country pickin' DOES NOT work on my '61 RI.[/quote']

I disagree. What about Gretsch? Those can easily do country. I also feel that Gibsons can handle country.

I think it has a lot to do with amp & settings & the player.

Whoever was the first metal band is up for debate.

However the SG is, I believe, the perfect metal guitar (provided you don't need to do anything that would need a floating trem [and why should you?]).

The SG has:

-Total upper fret access

-Lightweight body for the mobile player

-Lightening fast neck

-Medium jumbo frets - perfect for either arpeggioed chord work, fast runs or heavy vibrato that all feature in metal music

-Thin mahogany body and tun-o-matic bridge - gives both snappy attack and creamy sustain

Convinced?

Archived