Gibson Brands Forums

Holy Rage review in Classic Rock Mag

Chrisdude

Hi all, well according to our record company our CD "Demon Deceiver plus" has just had a SUPERB review in Classic Rock magazine. That is all he said and now he has gone away until monday!!!

I cannot get hold of the mag until Monday so I have NO IDEA what he was talking about. Please guys, if anyone see's the review can you let me know? I know the mag is out right now in certain parts of the UK and the rest of the world so keep yer eyes open for a fellow player dudes ;-)

Well I'll tell ya you guys are very kind. If I can tell you all an odd story?

My Uncle was Nick Bowbanks. Check out the first Fight album, it is dedicated to him. He was actually Robs partner. When Al left the band I was like 11 years old and ended up at my nans where JP used to hang out. Glen actually gave me my first guitar lesson. Just picked me up and slammed me on my nans refrigerator, put an echo 6 string in my hand and showed me E.

20 odd years later, I marry my wife who is Al's neice and after a lot of playing here I am. It is a full circle story I am still weirded out by it, and HEY, I still love painkiller and before that I never listened to them. Glen? INCREDIBLE player and guys I do NOT deserve attention. However, aparently it is a great review so I am a little proud, I am allowed that.

On a request from guitarest? and I really hope you do not mind, Let's give them Hell shall we?

Also what I would like to do is Thank Roger and Sear for inviting me here. Some very cool people in here, yes we all meet assholes in forums, chill, and enjoy and have a great night guys.

One thing? All the pics are friends of mine including a pilot of the aircraft carrier.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

I was checking out Roger's live stream watching you guys and you played a little then some other dude and I mentioned that his guitar was broken because it had a hole in it.... acoustic guitar.

That video is cool and sounds good. You've got a good rocking tone going on.

HAHAHAHAH !!! !Yes,, The INCREDIBLE Nath Ward.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

mate yes we were a LITTLE bit drunk, but man do you know that guy had a top 5 on myspace music with absolutely no help? He is an incredible player and I have to say a very good friend now.

The start of the show he mooned me, I had NO IDEA.

I would jam with him anytime man ;-) I also am wondering if we can get a copy of our show. The bat was so funny.

By the way !

CHEERS ALL and good luck to Rog and Johanna! New shredder coming soon!

Very cool story and cool vid. talk about small world and/or seven degree's of seperation. Or maybe it's just Karma and things happen for a reason and your one of the lucky few doing what you were born for...

Maybe sir, maybe. Hey we are on a roll and at our age it's a good thing. No worries, lets just see what happens huh. :-k/

Please understand though. Yeah we get asked about JP all the time, it is not important, we just play our stuff and some people seem to like it. Al is the important guy not me. I just jam a bit ;-)

Aww so nobody yet seen the review? DAMN this is harsh.

YAY ROG!!!! I would really like that mate. Can I download it from the producers console?

Yanno one thing that has pissed me off? I have been "REQUESTED" by the record company to take my ****** drunken videos down from my youtube because it could affect marketing of the band?

Yanno I really am NOT a happy bunny this morning. That absolutely SUCKS!

Chris' date=' this is superb news!!!

People talk about 'making it it'... well you have made music from the heart, not sold out, played all over the show; and now been recognised by a major music publication; you've made it!

well done my friend

Matt[/quote']

WOW! Cheers Matt! What a kind thing to say dude.

OK, I am in a very good and TRUSTING mood today.

And I STILL have not seen this damn REVIEW!!! ARRRRRRG.

OK In the meantime here is an interlewd. (hahha I said lewd). This song features a cameo solo from Bernie Torme, nice guy, you could spot his solo from several light years. Hey dudes? Enjoy it, download it, just dont go freakin sharing it ok? If I see a link anywhere else I'll just delete it.

Guitarest? You will like this mate, loads of wuggly stuck ;-)

http://www.chrisdude.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/al_new/Void_to_avoid.mp3

Please note, the ending is NOT the ending =D>

Hey if you cannot share music with other forum members then who can you share it with? Oh crap yeah people who buy it!!!! DAMN DAMN ,, errr ohh ok too late now ;-)

Chris - this is NOT a loaded question nor a dig or anything negative, it's a genuine quest for info.....

I have mp3 files with +11dB to -42dB giving over 50dB of dynamic range and sounding good.

That clip just above has a range of about 30dB (+1.5dB to about -30dB). Is this deliberate

compression used in the mastering (if so what is the philosophy behind it) or is this an

unwelcome artefact of the whole recording / encoding process.

Here's an example with over 50dB.....Alberto Barrero

I ask because I am fascinated by the way people present their finished music

and thus fascinated to know the whys and the hows of it.....

Chris - this is NOT a loaded question nor a dig or anything negative' date=' it's a genuine quest for info.....

I have mp3 files with +11dB to -42dB giving over 50dB of dynamic range and sounding good.

That clip just above has a range of about 30dB (+1.5dB to about -30dB). Is this deliberate

compression used in the mastering (if so what is the philosophy behind it) or is this an

unwelcome artefact of the whole recording / encoding process.

Here's an example with over 50dB.....Alberto Barrero

I ask because I am fascinated by the way people present their finished music

and thus fascinated to know the whys and the hows of it.....

It is a VERY good, and clever question sir. It is all to do with webspace or the lack of in my case. However it is a quite deliberate degrading.

Now you talk about +/- db. I go on bitrate. Everything there that you hear is around 128kbs which is rubbish. To really enjoy it, yes and turned up to 11 then the bitrate should be 320kbs. That is studio quality.

In other words it was my encoding that did that mate. We as musicians trying to sell a product sometimes need to hold just a little bit back yanno?

Personally (and if the record company knew I would be in trouble but screw them just for today) I just wanted to share the song ;-)

Guitarest just SHUT THE HELL UP

and let me say, Hahahaha gotta LOVE the monkey dude !!!!! And I cannot for the life of me think of what film that is from, was it Family Guy the Movie?

AND I STILL HAVE NOT SEEN THE REVIEW!!!! I feel a total anti climax coming here.

MPEG Audio Layer-3 (or mp3), your 64kbps -v- the Alberto Barrero at 189kbps.

To my ears the 189kbps sounds so much more dynamic and rich in texture.

I know it's a lossy compression, and I am assuming you are using CBR

so I was wondering why you didn't just go for 128kbps, which seems good

enough for reasonable quality, squashed enough to make small files and

relatively standard these days. Also, in this age of broadband and massive

hard drives, bigger rates than 128kbps seem to be becoming the norm

(hence my inclusion of a clip at 189kbps.....)

I mean - 1min @ 64kbps is 468kb, @ 128 it's 908kb - hardly a massive file

size on a modern day website or on hard drives or down the wires.....

So I was wondering if there was more to your choice than merely making

a smaller file - like possibly the sheer power transfer of that small a

dynamic range played loud - which makes it seem even louder.

Dagnab it - thought we were going to get an answer to the "why 64kbs" question.

Still - a good review is a good review however yah look at it - congrats to all concerned.

What was it like working with two other pickers (Brian and Simon) - must have been a gas.....

I guess I'm a little slow? I don't get that review at all and it tells me nothing at all about the music.

Who ever wrote it seems can't or won't say if he/she liked it or not? Perhaps they're afraid to say "I loved this" then if it flops they have a bad reputation for picking a bum album.

Or they may say, "I hated it" and it's the next best thing since sliced bread and they missed it?

I mean come on... for real... tell us what you think and don't hide behind some rambling, poetic BS. You either like it or you don't. I hate reading reviews.

Hey hey calm down dudes. I will answer anything you wish.

OK the reason he is so distant about the CD. Al Atkins FOUNDED Judas priest in 1969. He was their first singer until Halford took over. He has 5 solo CD's, I am in his band Holy Rage and THAT is now what is getting attention.

The wierded out bit? When Al left in 73 I was in the middle of it. Glen gave me my first guitar lesson on my Nans fridge at 9 years old, My uncle was Robs partner until he died in a car wreck(see the first fight album, it was dedicated to Nick Bowbanks) and I have posted music on here twice including a video so I am unsure what you want of me??

I have Curly Hair and love beer, my wife has great boobies and my dog weighs 13 stone, I own a Citreon Picasso and our drummer makes our ears bleed and Sear shreds me.

Oh and I have just scored a new handmade USA custom seven string #1 sig guitar being built.

EEEEEEP SORRY OMIT THAT LAST BIT.

Archived