Gibson Brands Forums

Removing / Covering MOP Inlay

RickLafayette

In regards to the mother of pearl Robert Johnson signature inlay on that model, is there anyway it can be covered or stained?

I'm not crazy about the hokey looking signature. The fretboard is ebony so it's quite dark. I was wondering if the MOP could be stained or removed and the hole filled up with something to match the ebony.

There certainly is a lot of controversy about signatures. This is frequently discussed on the Unofficial Martin Guitar forum. If it were me I wouldn't let it bother me at all--but that's just me. I think I may be in the minority here. I'd try this, if I just couldnt live with it--try going over the inlay with a black Sharpie. I'd think that it wouldn't hurt the MOP, and it could probably be removed with a little naptha (lighter fluid) and elbow grease if you change your mind. Worst case, maybe some fine steel wool going with the grain of the ebony. From 3 feet away, you probably won't be able to see it. Usually the signatures are between the two highest frets, so it's not likely to get a lot of wear--so your coverage should be reasonably durable. I sure wouldn't try to have it removed or filled. It's likely just bugging you--not likely a casual observer, listener or audience member is going to even notice it. If you ever decide to sell it, you've kept it original. No one's going to pay extra for a modification like removing the signature and filling the hole, and a smart buyer will likely you'll be ask you to discount the price as you've done something to change the originality. Not sure if those issues matter to you, but I'd stick with the least invasive approach. Hope this is helpful. P.S. Chet Atkins "sharpied" out his own signature on his black SST. Said it reflected stage lights into his eyes. Probably he felt having his own name on his guitar was a bit much. I've kept his signature on my SST, because, well, I like it.

Dwight

Sure. A good luthier could do that. I'm not one, but my plan of attack would be to rout out the signature completely, leaving a clean rectangular cutout just deep enough to remove the inlay. Then cutand fit an ebony inlay to fill the routing. If matched well it would be a pretty invisible mod. I have been thinking of having it done to my 200.......remove all of the MOP on the fingerboard and fill it with ebony, leaving it plain with no inlay of any kind. Just thinking about it, though.......not very hard.....

Archived