Gibson Brands Forums

New ES-339 - Buzzing

bal704

I'm the proud new owner of a Gibson ES-339. The guitar is a thing of beauty, and I love it. However, it's got a weird buzzing issue I'm trying to fix. Unplugged, when I play an open A or D string, there is a buzzing that appears to be coming from around the bridge/tailpiece area. It also happens when I fret notes on those strings. I've changed strings, and the buzzing continues. I've tried to dampen the bridge,tailpiece,pickguard, pickup covers etc when playing, and it still buzzes. It almost sounds like something vibrating on the inside of the guitar.

Anybody ever deal with this issue?

Sometimes my Byrdland does the very same thing. Eventually I realized it was coming from one of the volume knobs. Seems to do it when it's quite humid. I just tightened the nut that holds the pot a bit. Not too much though. :P

Play one of the notes and either move your hand quickly to one of the knobs or have someone press their finger on them and see if that stops it.

It might be a rattle from the small saddle-retention wire on the ABR-1 bridge. If so, first protect the top of the guitar under the bridge with a cloth or cardboard in case you slip, then try creating a kink in the wire by using the edge of a screwdriver blade to push down carefully-but-firmly on the wire between two saddle screws until it bends into a small "V" and holds itself (and the saddles) more firmly. That's what I did to my ABR-1.

Alternately for this issue, I've heard of people dabbing on a drop or two of clear nail polish to glue the wire to the bridge.

...if that's what it is!

Through the years I've had both problem mentioned above, among others. After checking the pots, knobs, retaining wire and saddles, the next most likely culprit would be a sloppy wireing job. I've had buzzes coming from a hollow body guitar from wires that were laying against the top or back.

Congrats on your new ES-339! We want pictures!!! As you can see here there may be many reasons for the buzzing. One thing for sure though, a brand new guitar should not be doing this. I would take it back to the place where you bought it from and have them settle the issue with Gibson directly.

Thanks for the replies. I put my finger on the retaining wire, and it still did it previously, so I doubt that's it. It almost sounds like it's coming from inside the guitar. In any event, I'll try the suggestions listed above. I bought it online, so taking it back isn't possible. I'm not sure how to post pics, so once I figure it out, I'll do so.

Thanks again for the help.

My 335 had the same problem, and boy it frustrated the heck out of me, I took it in for a set up and it was gone.

I thought like you it was comming from inside the body.

Bring it in, a set up will cost you around $50.00 but well worth it. My only suggestion would be to find a local mom and pop place, stay away from

the big box stores.

Good luck, I've been there

My ABR-1 had a slight rattle when new. Drove me nuts at first. I could only hear it unplugged, certain frequency, ect. A teeny dab of clear silicone on the wire fixed it.

The nature of the ABR-1 is to rattle. That's why it SUSTAINS SO WELL..........................

:-&/

Best of luck.

Murph.

I took it to my local tech. He identified the problem as the bridge retaining wire being bent and not holding whatever it's supposed to hold. He bent it back, and it fixed the problem for about 5 minutes. I may put a dab of clear finger nail polish on the bridge/wire to hold it in place.

Archived