Gibson Brands Forums

Maestro tail on an SG - several options.

NeoConMan

I was looking around the Gibson site and saw there are now at least 4 ways to get a Maestro on an SG.

Of course, none of them are cheap....

First off, let me throw up this pic again of my 2006 SG 61 with a Maestro - one of only 48 produced.

3377544277_af24386680.jpg

Shameless, I know....

:-)

But it's EVERYTHING I ever wanted in an SG, and there's nothing missing.

This is why I waited until I was over 40 years old - I never found an SG I liked for a price I would pay.

Then I found this and a 12-string hanging in the same store.....

One piece body.

Incredible uniform grain top and back.

Even the neck has almost linear grain with nary a flaw visible.

Finish is as good as my Custom Shop stuff.

57 Classic Pickups.

Perfect set-up out of the box.

The point I'm trying to make is that Gibson has recognized the value of that little piece of spring steel and its long shiny engraved cover, and made it available again as a regular production item.

They also know people will pay a premium for it, so let's look at the Maestro models available.

Shall we?

First there's the Angus signature model for a list price of $3,617;

SGAYACNH-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx

Features;

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/Angus-Young-SG/Features.aspx

Specs;

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/Angus-Young-SG/Specs.aspx

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Now, we're off to the Custom Shop....

There's the SG Standard Reissue VOS with the Maestro for a list of $4,421;

SGSR-VOFCNH1-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx

Features;

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-Custom/SG-Standard-Reissue-VOS/Features.aspx

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Then there's the SG Custom VOS with the Maestro for a list of $5,880;

SGC-VOCWGH1-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx

Features;

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-Custom/SG-Custom-with-Maestro-VOS/Features.aspx

Finally, if you weren't able to find everything you need in an SG there's the Robby Kreiger SG for a mere $8,224.

This is a pic of the 'aged' version but the VOS version is available too. Instead of 'aged' it just looks f-ing old.

Krieger-SG-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx

Features;

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-Custom/Robby-Krieger-SG/Features.aspx

Of all the guitars above, only the relatively 'cheap' Angus even has a real, new guitar finish that shines....

And here's the kicker;

I paid $1,750 plus tax for mine brand new, list was a whopping $2,238.

Jeez....

list says over $4000 but you can get them for $3100....

A good rule of thumb is one third off list - out the door.

If you can pull that off on any American-made guitar you're doing okay.

Maybe add tax to it if you have to.

Your SG Std. Maestro should be a shade under $3,000 for a street price after you get a third off.

Oh, and NEVER believe what the store is telling you for list, check with Gibson or even Musician's Friend online.

A common trick is to tell you the list is, oh..., maybe $5,000 and they're giving you a smoking deal by taking 20% off the tag because they like you, and you're a discriminating customer who knows good gear at a good price...

20% off $5k leaves you at $4k - the real list price.

The sales guy will be high-fiving everybody after you leave the store because he just pocketed an extra $1,300.

About two years ago, I sent my '99 SG Custom off to Nashville where Gibson installed a Maestro for $700. The quality of the work is outstanding. You have to have the guitar about an inch away before you see where they filled in the stud holes and even then it is hardly visible.

99_SG_CUSTOM.jpg

Completely different guitars.

The SG 61 is not offered in VOS, so it actually shines like a new guitar.

:-)

Few SG's have the upper neck access like the SG 61.

The neck joint is at the 22nd fret, most other SG's are at the 19th fret.

61 has the thinner Slim Taper neck profile.

57 Classic pickups.

No tuning issues at all.

Great Guitar, Neo...I've been harping for years, for Gibson to make proper SG's (Beveling, scarfing, Maestro option, etc.), and why do you have to

go to, and pay for Custom Shop Prices, to have it done "right?!!" Program the CNC machine once, and have all SG's made properly! Custom Shop

Should Be, for "one of a kind," special finishes, or "Relic" or very specific requirements, beyond what (should) be done, normally. Not just to get a

properly made/spec'd SG, LP, or ES model. (End of Rant)... ;>)

Glad you were able to find one, that met your needs/demands, and at a fair price! That's awesome.

CB

hey NEo, I got one of the other 48 from Mike at Bizarre as you know. I got it for $1649, he had just taken it out of the box and I was stunned to see it and for that price and it was a no-brainer. I haven't had a desire to get another SG with a vibrola as I agree with you, it is all I need at this time for a SG...

Yeah Doc,

Out of the 48 built and the four of these that Bizarre had, our two are the only ones I still know of.

The whereabouts of the others escapes me, I believe one more stayed in Phoenix.

Remember the last one sold for quite a bit more, Bob wised up and jacked the price way up on the last one.

What's new in your world?

How's business?

How was the trip to Tibet?

You know Mike left after 25 years at BG, right?

Talked to him on the phone, he's doing fine as Mr. Mom.

Working on his Plan B.....

Great Guitar' date=' Neo...I've been harping for years, for Gibson to make proper SG's (Beveling, scarfing, Maestro option, etc.), and why do you have to

go to, and pay for Custom Shop Prices, to have it done "right?!!" Program the CNC machine once, and have all SG's made properly! Custom Shop

Should Be, for "one of a kind," special finishes, or "Relic" or very specific requirements, beyond what (should) be done, normally. Not just to get a

properly made/spec'd SG, LP, or ES model. (End of Rant)... ;>) [/quote']

AMEN. Gibson, are you even listening???

H-Bomb

The '61 has the correct body shape (going by my '04) But the top horn tapering is too sharp;should be a little more rounded. Also, the pickguard & truss rod cover should have thicker white in the ply,& the "pizza paddle" headstock should be narrower,with double collar tuners. The VOS body shape is TOTALLY WRONG. The upper horn is too long in relation to the lower one, and it curves in too far;the '61 is more symmetrical. Also, the upper horn taper is too wide at the tip, and the bevels,although beautiful, are too deep. As for color,my '61 has the deep heritage cherry,although I would prefer it to be the lighter cherry, or even "orangey" Funny, that Epi that CB posts on here is the best looking SG I have EVER seen;totally correct EXCEPT a little too much grain in the wood;I think finishes with less grain (on Fenders too) are more "vintage" looking. If they made the Angus with deeper beveling & LOST THAT STUPID HEADSTOCK THING & the Maestro engraving, I might be tempted.

The '61 has the correct body shape (going by my '04) But the top horn tapering is too sharp;should be a little more rounded. Also' date=' the pickguard & truss rod cover should have thicker white in the ply,& the "pizza paddle" headstock should be narrower,with double collar tuners. The VOS body shape is TOTALLY WRONG. The upper horn is too long in relation to the lower one, and it curves in too far;the '61 is more symmetrical. Also, the upper horn taper is too wide at the tip, and the bevels,although beautiful, are too deep. As for color,my '61 has the deep heritage cherry,although I would prefer it to be the lighter cherry, or even "orangey" Funny, that Epi that CB posts on here is the best looking SG I have EVER seen;totally correct EXCEPT a little too much grain in the wood;I think finishes with less grain (on Fenders too) are more "vintage" looking. If they made the Angus with deeper beveling & LOST THAT STUPID HEADSTOCK THING & the Maestro engraving, I might be tempted.[/quote']

Yup, Dickey nailed it. Except don't be hatin' on the Angus. =P~

Seriously though, the '61 reissue + the Historic deep-cut bevels = GREAT COMPROMISE.

That and fix the color. (lighter RED isn't a problem...it's brown/orange/pink IS)

And optional Maestro.

Done.

Everyone happy.

H-Bomb

Archived