Gibson Brands Forums

Telecaster tone tip

RichCI

I was playing my Tele earlier and recalled something from a while back after adjusting the height of the neck pup. When I replaced the pick guard, the guitar didn't feel right anymore and lacked the... ZANG and rumblely feeling that it normally has and that was regardless of which pickup I used or even if I had the volume pot down. The guitar just felt different.

The only thing I could figure that was different was that maybe I tightened down the pick guard too much. So, I loosened the screws just a bit and, sure enough, that's what it was. With five screws holding down such a large piece of plastic, I guess some dampening is bound to occur. Now I keep the screws just snug enough to not come loose.

If you own a Tele, there's something you can easily mess with. Maybe you'll find you like the screws looser or maybe tighter, depending on your tastes.

How could the tension on the screws make such a difference?

I think it makes some sense. Since the pickups (or at least the neck pickup-depending on the Tele) are attached to the pickguard, its ability to vibrate with the strings or not could affect the tone. However, I would've thought a tighter fit would add sustain and therefore improve tone - not the other way around. Maybe the top is vibrating more with the screws loose and that improves tone? Or maybe Rich is just messin' with us. :-

I swear there was a difference, not with the sound of the guitar but they way it felt or reacted when I played.

surfpup - I don't know what modern standard Teles are like, but the neck pup in my 52 RI has the height adjustment screws mounted so that they go into the body of the guitar.

I swear there was a difference' date=' not with the sound of the guitar but they way it felt or reacted when I played.

surfpup - I don't know what modern standard Teles are like, but the neck pup in my 52 RI has the height adjustment screws mounted so that they go into the body of the guitar.[/quote']

You're right. I checked my 62 RI and it's screwed into the wood too. However, the one in Thunder's avatar has the humbuckers attached to the pickguard. Wonder if you are feeling the pickguard vibrate a bit nonetheless. Definitely an odd phenomenon. I bet someone on the Fender Forum can address the subtleties of pickguard adjustment. :-

Archived