Gibson Brands Forums

Problems with my Les Paul Studio. Any suggestions?

chris geo

I'm having problems with my Les Paul Studio. At first I thought it was the amp. Then I got a new amp, a Spider Valve 112. Problem still happening. Now things seem to be getting worse.

When I take my hands off the strings I get this terrible ground noise. I can't record anything distorted because that's when it becomes the worst and most pronounced. I just plugged it in and now it seems like the treble pick up is going out. It was fading in and out while I was playing. Has anyone experienced this problem?

I wrote Gibson about 6 months ago and made them aware of the problem. I took it to an authorized repair center and they just looked at me like I was stupid. It was apparent the guy didn't want to do anything but go home that day. I took it home, put it in it's case and stored it in the closet. Time went by and I took it out again (today). UGH! I am like 3 weeks out of warranty! I wrote Gibson an e-mail. Maybe they'll honor it? Who knows.

Anyway, thanks for your help. This is EXTREMELY frustrating especially considering the money I spent on it! I actually was going to shell out for the traditional. Thank God I didn't. I would be EXTREMELY pissed if this happened on a trad!

I'm having problems with my Les Paul Studio. At first I thought it was the amp. Then I got a new amp' date=' a Spider Valve 112. Problem still happening. Now things seem to be getting worse.

When I take my hands off the strings I get this terrible ground noise. I can't record anything distorted because that's when it becomes the worst and most pronounced. I just plugged it in and now it seems like the treble pick up is going out. It was fading in and out while I was playing. Has anyone experienced this problem?

I wrote Gibson about 6 months ago and made them aware of the problem. I took it to an authorized repair center and they just looked at me like I was stupid. It was apparent the guy didn't want to do anything but go home that day. I took it home, put it in it's case and stored it in the closet. Time went by and I took it out again (today). UGH! I am like 3 weeks out of warranty! I wrote Gibson an e-mail. Maybe they'll honor it? Who knows.

Anyway, thanks for your help. This is EXTREMELY frustrating especially considering the money I spent on it! I actually was going to shell out for the traditional. Thank God I didn't. I would be EXTREMELY pissed if this happened on a trad! [/quote']

Hmm, my treble pickup used to fade in and out like that, but then it just stopped, it did stop after I took off the pickup covers though on my studio...

Maybe there is a problem with the ground wire? That may cause the noise when you take your hands off the strings...

WOW! Thanks guys for the quick replies! Glad to hear it's not just me (well, not glad to hear it but glad to hear there's a chance the problem can be easily fixed). Would it be a bad idea to take the four screws out of the plug and check the wire? (I'm sorry, my terminology is not up to par). The chord is a Mogami cable, gold tipped and I've tried multiple chords so I know that's not an issue.

It could also be coming from the opposite end of the ground wire. The end that attaches to the bridge is not soldered and simply rests on the bushing. Check the inside connection. If it looks good, give the wire a good inward push.

Another problem which is unlikely, but not impossible, could be the pickup cover may have come loose with the solder points. Therefore loosing it's grounding.

Does that thing actually work?

Is it UL Listed?

I smell snake oil, especially for $105....

Take your guitar AND your amp to the shop.

Use another guitar in your amp, plug your guitar into another amp.

Buy another instrument cord - a GOOD one.

Even if it's not the problem, you have a spare when it does take a sh!t.

Eliminate the extraneous bullsh!t from consideration.

Has the back cover ever been off your guitar?

How many times has the cord been jerked out of the jack?

Archived