Gibson Brands Forums

Historical Question Time

cookieman15061

Easy for me to answer this, The Baroque period, on the condition I was equipped with the right documentation etc to protect me from harm! I would like to be in Leipzig attending the Churches where Bach would be performing the organ etc and see the first edition of the Goldberg variations!!!

A close second would be drinking in the cafes of Paris watching The Hot Club Of Paris and actually experiencing Django live in front of me!!! My mouth waters just thinking about it...

Matt

I'd be in the Haight during the late 60's, going to 1090 Page for the Tuesday night jams that included members from Grateful Dead and Jefferson Airplane, among others who would go on to future fame/notoriety. Or in the panhandle of Golden Gate Park during the same period for the early Day(s) On The Green, watching 3 Dog Night perform at Keezar Stadium, playing in diapers.

Oh wait...I WAS there.

Never mind, my reality is every bit as good as my fantasy. :-/

Althought tempted by the mid 60's I have to say I would like to go back in time to the 30's and walk the streets of Memphis and the Mississippi Delta and hear some of the most transcendental blues players when they were playing in street corners.

~readies time machine~

Pink Floyd the Wall shows:-k ? The Who a week of Tommy at Filmore East:-k ? Better seats for Bangladesh show:-k ? Grateful Dead all-nighters at the Filmore East:-k ?

I guess I'd pick San Fran in the late 60s. Down to Monterey as well. (Don't know if I coulda' handled it..Plus my luck I'd bump it to Cruzn, he'd pound me for the "Ben Franklin--old" joke from the other day.).. I'd skip the 3 Dog Night, saw them in NYC at Gaelic Park. "That ain't the way to have fun"..

The Cobblestone Club, North Hollywood, and the Ash Grove in Hollywood between June/August 1965, to see Scotty Stoneman inspire Jerry Garcia on improvisational approach.

"Where I just stood there and don't even remember breathing." Jerry Garcia. 1991.

Yep.....

Damn, so many to choose from.

Zeppelin in 1972, Iron Maiden at the Long Beach Arena March 1985, Allman Brothers at the Filmore, Cream two shows before the last Royal Albert Hall gig, Hendrix at Rainbow Bridge, The Last Waltz, Altamont (wouldn't mind seeing a Fiasco, it's still history), but after all is said and done, I'd like to see

Benny Goodman between 1939 and 1941, when Charlie Christian was still in the band and Benny was still a struggling upstart. OH yeah, the swing era.

Damn' date=' so many to choose from.

Zeppelin in 1972, Iron Maiden at the Long Beach Arena March 1985, Allman Brothers at the Filmore, Cream two shows before the last Royal Albert Hall gig, Hendrix at Rainbow Bridge, The Last Waltz, Altamont (wouldn't mind seeing a Fiasco, it's still history), but after all is said and done, I'd like to see

Benny Goodman between 1939 and 1941, when Charlie Christian was still in the band and Benny was still a struggling upstart. OH yeah, the swing era.[/quote']

Respectfully, one of my favorite LP's is the 1938 concert in Carnegie Hall, in which the Goodman band tore the house down. He was definitely not a struggling upstart when he was asked to do Carnegie.

I guess I'd pick San Fran in the late 60s. Down to Monterey as well. (Don't know if I coulda' handled it..Plus my luck I'd bump it to Cruzn' date=' he'd pound me for the "Ben Franklin--old" joke from the other day.)[/quote']

I have people. :-&

.. I'd skip the 3 Dog Night' date=' saw them in NYC at Gaelic Park. "That ain't the way to have fun".. [/quote']

You haven't lived 'till you've seen 3 Dog Night in diapers...while sharing the infield with several thousand stoners and wannabes. =;

Respectfully' date=' one of my favorite LP's is the 1938 concert in Carnegie Hall, in which the Goodman band tore the house down. He was definitely not a struggling upstart when he was asked to do Carnegie.

Well, yeah, by the time his legendary Sextet played Carnegie he was hittin' the charts. but in 1938, when he enlisted Christian, he was still relatively unknown, at least that's how I read it in the Booklet that came with the Goodman collection I got. And that's when I'd like to have seen him. When he was still unknown and Charlie Christian was playing Solo Flight to small cabarets.

Respectfully' date=' one of my favorite LP's is the 1938 concert in Carnegie Hall, in which the Goodman band tore the house down. He was definitely not a struggling upstart when he was asked to do Carnegie.

Oops, I have my years all screwed up. I thought Christian was in the band before he was well known.

Anyway, I'd like to have seen him in the small venues, before he was big enough to play Carnegie.

Archived