Gibson Brands Forums

Head on collision test between 1959 Chevy and 2009 Chevy.

Gilliangirl

Okay' date=' this is sponsored by the insurance folks who are claiming that we've come a long way. I'm sure we have but it still looks like we've got a long way to go to me. [/quote']

It's not as bad as it looks. Yes, the car is breaking, but that's the whole point. The modern car has deformation zones which, to put it simply, takes the impact on the basis that something has to go. So, the deformation zones goes to junk, while more important zones stay more or less intact.

It's not as bad as it looks. Yes' date=' the car is breaking, but that's the whole point. The modern car has deformation zones which, to put it simply, takes the impact on the basis that something has to go. So, the deformation zones goes to junk, while more important zones stay more or less intact.[/quote']

Okay, but I still think that 2009 driver would come out with more than a scrape on his knee?

Okay' date=' but I still think that 2009 driver would come out with more than a scrape on his knee?

[/quote']

Why? The film clearly shows that the drivers area is pretty much intact. Compared to the '59, where the colliding car goes all the way through and doesn't stop until it is around the back door area. On the new car the collision stops around the front end of the front door.

and SHO has a good point the crumple zone is a safety precaution.... just looks so much worse.

Yeah, it can look really horrible.

About a year ago a guy I know through work was in an accident. He was driving one of those small vans, and had stopped on the motorway to turn left. And as he was waiting for the oncoming traffic to pass so he could turn, a truck coming from behind somehow missed that he was standing still waiting to turn, so he rams him right from behind, crushing the car totally flat up until the wall between the cargo area and driving area, pushes him out into the other lane where he is hit by the oncoming traffic, crushing the entire front of the car.

He just broke his leg!

This is the worst kind of auto accident. Two front corners taking the entire force of the collision. Not many survive this. Even the G-forces of the car spinning around have been known to tear aortas (instant death).

I was certain this would have ended differently.

It does appear that the '59 had more passenger cabin intrusion than the '05. Note how the '59's passenger cabin was distorted so much that the windshield was popped out of it's frame, while the 05's was largely intact and still in it's frame. Also, in '59 seat belts were not mandatory. The driver likely suffered the most common injury at this time for drivers. The body hits the steering wheel or horn ring with such force it breaks through the rib cage like a paper punch, thus crushing all the soft stuff like lung and heart behind it.

The greatest tragedy is who in their right mind would do this to such a beautiful specimen of 1959 Detroit iron?

Now if'n they'd have used a '49, I am almost sure 88¢ worth of bonodo would have repaired the body damage.. after you removed the driver who'd been impailed by the steering wheel and the passenger from the glove box. Those cars were built like tanks.

Archived