Gibson Brands Forums

caballero

jefleppard

I played one that a guy had for sale on Craigslist a few months back, before I bought Elmo. It looked NOTHING like that little guy. It was from the mid-70's, sort of a yellow color, varnished to the nth degree, had a fret about 1/4 inch from the nut, wider neck, and was hard to play. Said 'Caballero' right on the label, along with Norlin Industries. This particular one did not sound good.

I played one that a guy had for sale on Craigslist a few months back' date=' before I bought Elmo. It looked NOTHING like that little guy. It was from the mid-70's, sort of a yellow color, varnished to the nth degree, had a fret about 1/4 inch from the nut, wider neck, and was hard to play. Said 'Caballero' right on the label, along with Norlin Industries. This particular one did not sound good.[/quote']

This is a different beast Karen. subu

This is a different beast Karen. subu

In the 70's Norlin outsourced Epiphones to Matsumoku of Japan. Initially' date=' in 1971, they simply rebranded Aria models, using Arias model numbers. Sometimes they added a letter "E" to the end of the model numbers, vis: 6730E. Shortly thereafter in '72 Epiphone got it's own model numbers beginning FT, a system borrowed from earlier Epis. To tie it all back to Epiphones of old, they borrowed model names as well. But, they were still, essentiall, rebranded Arias. My old avatar was an FT145SB Texan which in no way shape or form resembles the vintage FT-79 Texan. The FT130 was also called Caballero. They made an FT570 that was shaped like an SJ, but also called a "Sheriton."

[img']http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j70/TommyK1/Guitar%20Repair/FT145SBfullsize-1.jpg[/img]

FT145SB Texan

The finish on my FT145SB "Texan" has aged to a yellowish appearance.

"Epaphrodite" isnt' worth a lot of money on the open market, but I dearly love her voice and is, to me, priceless.

Archived