Gibson Brands Forums

Advice for my LP

Vette77

Hi, I've had my les paul for a few months now and it has done everything but stay in tune. it worked for the first few months ive had it but it eventually stopped staying in tune and i was forced to pay $80 to get a completely useless fixing that did little more than clean the guitar. ive heard advice about how to keep it in tune from all sorts of "professionals" but nothing works, including truss rod adjustments and new strings. aside from the tuning, i also hear a lot of plucking noises coming from the headstock whenever i tune the guitar, leading me to think it had something to do with binding in the nut, and when i told the people i payed $80 to "repair", they completely dismissed this symptom. anyone have any advice?

Take it back to where you had the "repair", and demand they fix the problem or return your money. It could be and intonation problem, but also a tuning key issue. In which case I'd replace the tuning machines . You can easily lube the nut with some crused pencil lead (graphite) and wd40 mix.

It's just the nut, a very common "problem" for people who don't know.

All you have to do is lift the string out of its groove and place one of the following in the groove- pencil lead shavings, powdered graphite, Big Bendz Nut Sauce.

If you don't like the idea of placing lead under the string, take it back to the shop you gave $80 to and have them file the nut properly.

Personally, I just use powdered graphite I got from a hardware store. It was like $5 for a large tube.

Yea..guess ill have to take it back there, although those scumbags will probably find some way to screw me over. For me though, returning it would be a dreadful option since this guitar is perfect in every way except for the tuning. the sound, look, and feel seems like something i wont be able to find in another guitar, but if thats the alternative to getting screwed out of more money, then so be it...anyways, thanks for the tips.

It's just the nut' date=' a very common "problem" for people who don't know.

All you have to do is lift the string out of its groove and place one of the following in the groove- pencil lead shavings, powdered graphite, Big Bendz Nut Sauce.

If you don't like the idea of placing lead under the string, take it back to the shop you gave $80 to and have them file the nut properly.

Personally, I just use powdered graphite I got from a hardware store. It was like $5 for a large tube.[/quote']i actually have used this stuff called graphitall in it and it still didnt work, which was really strange seeing as how the plucking coming from the headstock pointed towards problems in the nut.

so even if i tried using a graphite filler in it, it still could be caused by the nut? guess me and the tech guy have a certain unnecessary $80 payment to talk about...its funny i put it on the damn note i left for him that it could be the nut but of course he dives right into the idea of some truss rod bs as if i wouldn't have that part of the guitar managed already.

so even if i tried using a graphite filler in it' date=' it still could be caused by the nut? guess me and the tech guy have a certain unnecessary $80 payment to talk about...its funny i put it on the damn note i left for him that it could be the nut but of course he dives right into the idea of some truss rod bs as if i wouldn't have that part of the guitar managed already.[/quote']

If the nut is in bad shape graphite wouldn't be effective. I would follow the advice and take it back tho the tech.

so even if i tried using a graphite filler in it' date=' it still could be caused by the nut? guess me and the tech guy have a certain unnecessary $80 payment to talk about...its funny i put it on the damn note i left for him that it could be the nut but of course he dives right into the idea of some truss rod bs as if i wouldn't have that part of the guitar managed already.[/quote']

If the nut is in real bad shape graphite may not be effective enough. I would follow the advice and take it back tho the tech.

Call Gibson Customer Service.

Tell them the store you were dealing with is inept and dishonest.

Ask for an authorized repair center in your area.

Get Gibson to pick up the tab.

It's the nut, I'll bet money on it.

Filing the slots is not for the inexperienced, so forget the original shop.

How many wraps do your strings make around the tuning pegs?

More than 3 is too many, and contributes to the problem.

Tune the guitar, then press on the string above the nut to make it sharp.

Release, and it should go back pretty close to correct pitch.

If it remains sharp, now you know it's the nut.

What kind of tuning keys does it have, because Klusons (or any kluson-type keys) are synonymous with not "staying in tune". That's what I have on mine (because I'm to poor to change them), and since '02, I'm lucky if my guitar stays in tune through even 5 minutes of playing. The nut could also be the culprit, but my money is on the keys.

Eh, I dunno....

I had the Klusons on my 2000 LP Classic.

Hated 'em.

Hated the way they looked, cheap and cheesy plastic buttons.

Hated the way they felt, Grover Rotomatics are much more robust.

Did the swap and found tuning to be no better.

Dammit.

Found out that the "vintage" tuners on Gibsons now are the same 14:1 ratio as the Rotomatics.

So, function is identical.

The nut was the problem all along.

Still prefer the Rotomatics hands down, but I'm not so fast to change 'em if it's not necessary.

Got "vintage' tuners on my other LP, an SG 61, the 12 string SG and my EDS-1275 double neck.

They work fine.

I have a LP and a ES-335 with Grover Rotomatics, as well as several other guitars.

If I had a choice, they would be on everything I own, but that's a lot of time, expense and trouble....

Archived