Gibson Brands Forums

story behind my LP(truth or BS?)

Vette77

so when i purchased my LP, the guy from the store told me this story about how the store he works at was able to get into the winter NAMM a day early and pick out a guitar that would not reach a market otherwise. he said the guitar i bought was picked out of a lineup of these guitars that would not reach the market(i believe those were his words), making me think this guitar is one of a kind. now nothing so far, including the serial number which seems generic based on the gibson search page, leads me to believe this guitar is one of a kind. i don't know if it could be the finish(wine red flame top) or what but it seems to just be a regular custom. anyone know anyway i can put some fact behind this story?

do they usually come in flame tops when wine red though? i looked at a pic of one on GC's site and it seemed to not have one, could be wrong though. its not really important to me if the guys story was true really, but it would be kind of interesting if it was.

lol thats the thing though, i already bought the guitar when he told me this. i knew when i went in there the color i wanted and that i wanted a custom, and as soon as the guy handed it to me off the shelf i knew id be leaving with that guitar.

Chances are, it's just a modern Custom with a flame top in red. Why don't you email the s/n to Gibson and ask them if there's anything unique about the guitar?...but just because the guitar was displayed at a guitar show, doesn't mean there's anything different about it.

By the way, he didn't lie to you and tell you that it has a solid-body, did he? 8-[

Gibson Custom Shop does allow dealers to visit the shop on the day prior to the NAMM show to hand select guitars. Dealers select guitars that are not necessarily "one-off" guitars, but often select guitars because of weight, figure, or color. Just because the guitar is a wine red custom does not necessarily mean it wasn't hand selected by the dealer at the show. Gibson does not provide and special certificate nor special serial numbers to these hand selected guitars.

At ANY trade show exhibitors buy, sell, trade, swap products among each other before the floor opens to the general public. They also have "customer appreciation" pre-show events for their dealers and other VIP clients. At events such as NAMM and the big Dallas guitar show MOST of the business in conducted behind closed doors before us flunkies are ever let in the building. The other thing is that at any large industry event you want to show your best, prettiest, fanciest products.

That said, I see no reason to question what your dealer said about your guitar. That doesn't necessarily make the guitar a one-of or anything super-special, it's just makes it the cream-of-the-crop.

And by the way, WE WANT PICTURES!

sorry for the delay on any response' date=' but ill be sure to get the pics up in a new thread as soon as i learn the complicated art of posting them on here.[/quote']

My motto is as follows...No pictures = it never happened! [-o< j/k

For instructions click here.

Well like i said, he told me on my way out from buyin it lol, he gets no financial benefit for telling me seeing as how i already bought it lol. As for the pics guys its gonna be till later today, some photobucket complications with account.

Archived