Gibson Brands Forums

Opinions and thoughts wanted

djroge1

After looking at that Carl Martin Octo board it got me thinking that it's getting close to that time of year - Christmas.

My wife is a planner when it comes to Christmas so I need to start making a list of christmas ideas for her.

I've asked this before about reverbs, but I'd like to get some input again. I've heard a lot of good things about the Holy Grail reverb.

Of the two amps I've built neither has any effects at all - no reverb. One does have an effects loop.

Here is what I may be looking for to add to a "wish list." Also being on the lower price scale suggestions - no evantides etc...

1. Reverb unit

2. Modulation - Chorus or Phase

Any suggestions and/or favorites?

So many choices... SO many.

And depending on the amp and everything as a whole I can't make any solid recommendations.

Someone else will chime in with their favorites and then someone else ect.....

Then Tim will tell you to buy a Historic.

Thats just it, as for guitar reverbs I've only had amps with spring reverb so I'm not sure what I'm looking for. For recording I've used digital.

I'm also open to a delay in place of a reverb.

I really like the advert for the "Hardwire" line of reverb stomp box because it uses a Lexicon chip, but I've not tried one yet.

Thats just it' date=' as for guitar reverbs I've only had amps with spring reverb so I'm not sure what I'm looking for. For recording I've used digital.

I'm also open to a delay in place of a reverb.

I really like the advert for the "Hardwire" line of reverb stomp box because it uses a Lexicon chip, but I've not tried one yet.[/quote']

I would say reverb is the first thing needed, then chorus.

Sorry I have no experience with Reverb Pedals, but I love my 2 Hardwire pedals. Digitech has done great things with little boxes. Try it out for sure.

Chorus is another story. Chorus is passable with a single amp, but until you run it stereo you are missing out on great tones.

I have used three different Boss Chorus pedals.

CH-1 super chorus. A great stereo pedal as is.

CE-5 CHorus ensemble. It was ok.

CE-20 Fully Adjustable with a variety of choruses.

Okay... here's my take...

A lot depends on the type of music and the guitar itself.

The question really should be whether you want the final sound to be "thick" as though you have X number of the same notes being played simultaneously by your guitar or if you wanna have a degree of delay and echo to the sound.

I always had reverb on my tube amps so I never really thought much of it; usually just a bit added to thicken the sound of my usually light strings. But once I got an amp that had chorus, I became a believer, dropped the reverb to virtually nothing (just enough for a shade of "sustain) and cranked the chorus until it started to sound like a "chorus" knob was being cranked, then backed off a smidge.

So again, whadda you want the guitar to sound like, anyway?

m

• 1 month later...
I would go with reverb. Now my question to you is what kind of reverb do you want or like: spring' date=' digital, plate, room, etc? I am an analogue, spring man all the way. You should check these out if that is your thing - Sole-Mate

solemate_tanLG.jpg

Ahh your link isn't working.

Archived