Gibson Brands Forums

Learning to Play Part 1

George Gagnon

Once in a while I would see a nice looking guitar and think it would be nice to have one. But like most people I did not plan on owning or playing a guitar in the near future. That future was decided for me when my wife brought home a 1973 Gibson. Not just any guitar but something quite beatiful and shiney! It might be a little early to say this but, she might be sorry that she gave me the guitar.

The first thing I did was some research on the guitar. I narrowed the date down to 1973-1975. I joined a forum, and got some very good information. I tried to tune the guitar using a harmonica like tuner (was in the case with the guitar). I ended up busting the G string. As perfect as the body appeared I never realized that the strings and frets had some corrosion on them. Time to head to the store!

I picked a store called Guitar Center because it is close to my house. I am glad I did they seemed to know what they were talking about and they had a huge inventory of everything. I met a sales person named Aussie he is 21 and looked like he shoud be in a band. My intent was to buy some new strings but he up sold me and the shopping spree began. I bought a digital tuner Assuie showed me how to use it. A cleaning kit, with cream of carnauba, body cleaner, finger board clearner, 4 linen cloths, and buff pad for the frets. A Hal Leonard guitar method book 1 with DVD and CD. A tool to cut, wind, and stretch string. It also helps to pull the little pegs out of the bridge I was told that some people will use pliers to pull the little pegs out. And finally the steel string I was looking for. I had to stop there but next on the list is a stand and a sling.

So, last night I stayed up tuning, cleaning and learning E, F, and G, and something just sounded horrible. Couldn't figure out why E rings and F & G sound so flat. I think I did a good job tuning my first guitar. I dont like the way I wrapped the string around the pegs. 1, 2, and 3 look like they were done by a 5 year old. I finally started to get the hang of it and by the time I finished stings 4, 5, and 6 they started to look pretty clean.

I kept working on EFG and BCD this morning and I'm having a few issues. Picking seems to be going ok, can do it pretty much without looking down. The frets are much more work. It took me a while to figure out that you have to push the string all the way down to the finger board/fret. No wonder last night sounded so bad. Not sure if all guitars are picky (suppose they all are) but if i'm off the sweet spot on the finger board a fraction I get no satisfaction. It's going to take me awhile to figure out how to hold the neck of a guitar. It also will take me awhile to get used to holding on to the main body. This guitar is big and not too comfy. I finally had to give up my lessons this morning my fingers are bruised just the pointy and the middle finger. I could not get myself to push down the strings to the fret so my sound started to fade.

Can't wait till I recover I have G and A to work on.

I think you're off to a very good start, and with a very good attitude. The chords will start to sound better and better very quickly. And as for the bruised fingers - if you can get through a week or two of playing through the pain, you'll get some nice callouses on your digits and be able to play all day long. When I was a teenager and playing all day every day, I used to be able to pinch out cigarettes with my fingertips.

congrats on your beautiful new vintage toy. i can't imagine starting out on such a beast! i am enjoying your story as much as the way you are telling it. keep it coming. i'm sure there must be some really nice mom and pop style shoppes in vegas but guitar center is your friend, too. so are we. welcome to the forum!

Superjumbo

Sounds like you are doing very well, anyone who has started playing guitar will have sore fingers and I was no exception. One thing you may consider is to have your guitar professionally set up. Even though I have played for 30 some odd years there are times that I will pick up someone's guitar and man it is a finger crusher. My acoustics play like electric guitars (well maybe a slight exaggeration) but a good string to fret height in my opinion goes a far way to saving fingers, also starting off with a lighter gauge string helps.

I find that Youtube is an excellent source for guitar players of any experience level, most every song has numerous videos with guitar players showing how to play. Also practically any song tab or chords can be found by using a search engine with the song's name plus tab or chords, so looking up "Help tabs" will return numerous hits with the song lyrics and tabs or chords.

P.S. You have an exceptional guitar enjoy.

Fred

Congratulations on that sweet guitar. You have a great wife. Before anyone jumps on you, you will be getting a strap for your guitar, a sling if for your rifle.

Youtube has many different types of lessons, some good and some by beginners like yourself showing what they have learned this week. Check out a few videos for yourself.

Welcome to the world of Gibson Guitar Players and Collectors.

Congrats man.

Keep playin once you get some callouses on your fingers you'll e able to go for a fortnight and not feel it.

keep playin...

a lot of people here have a beef with Guitar Center because it takes away from so called mom and pop shops. (I am one of these people I only go there to try out guitars)

It is the most gratifying thing I do. Keep playin and you will reap the rewards.

I stopped playing guitar for a long time. Got down to just a couple of old Japan Acoustics laying around the house that I would pick up every once in a while. I learned to play back in the sixties and played in bands through the 70's.

In April the oldest Grandson got a starter electric guitar pack for his 13th birthday. I decided I needed to help him learn to play. I bought a Les Paul Studio model and a 100 watt Marshall. I started playing again and I practiced every day for at least an hour. I started increasing the practice time but continued to play at least once every day for an hour and maybe a couple of other times for a shorter period of time.

This was like starting over again as far as building the finger back up. Now I play as much as I want and the fingers feel fine. Keep on playing and you will be fine.

I wish you the best of luck, SJ73. I had a couple thoughts while reading your post:

• A Gibson Super Jumbo is a difficult guitar to learn on. Not saying you shouldn't, just keep that in mind if you hit some bumps in the road.

• As said elsewhere in this thread, you really should find a respectable local luthier and pay to have your Gibson set up professionally. Oh, how I wish someone had convinced me to do this when I was learning!

• Be careful in Guitar Center. It's a national chain that has a tendency to buy out other shops and drive out Mom & Pop stores. They're kind of the Wal-Mart of music stores, and while there may be some very knowledgeable, honorable folks working there, that's not a requirement. You probably didn't need most of what they sold you. Also keep in mind they will always try to steer you to the items with the best margin, not the best item for you. (Me, I don't trust a thing anyone at my local GC says.)

• Buy a strap immediately. Do not drop that guitar!

Cheers!

Archived