Gibson Brands Forums

Interesting, self-explanatory...

Riffster

So they didn't take any pictures of it when it was at the factory or bother to get it certified authentic? I see some pictures of some guys in Gibson shirts, but for it to be a real reissue they'd have to measure it, take tons of photos, other such stuff.

Now, correct me If i'm wrong, but wasn't the 52 plagued with insufficient neck angle, so the strings had to be strung UNDER the bridge?

I'm sorry guys I still don't understand this feeling you have for such a old instrument. I can understand purchasing a reissue with the newer building techniques and better materials and higher building standards. If this guitar was given to me it would get sold asap so I could actually purchase a few guitars that would actually get played and enjoyed than this thing. And this guy wants almost 40g for the guitar and then he is charging almost 500 for shipping. With the bridge like it is' date=' I bet this is nothing but a guitar cabinet instrument.

Finally what the he11 is up with all the caps in his description of the guitar. [/quote']This isn't just ANY old instrument! Just like a high-performance, Italian-made sports car isn't just ANY old car. This was THE very first production model/testbed LP, and if it wasn't for the success of this guitar (save for a few complaints about the "trapeze" tailpiece, and the shallow neck pitch), we would probably not have had the great, late-fifties LPs that are prized today, or ANY LPs for that matter. Any true LP fan would be ecstatic to own this KICK A$$ instrument, even if just for show. I know I would!

I'm sorry guys I still don't understand this feeling you have for such a old instrument. I can understand purchasing a reissue with the newer building techniques and better materials and higher building standards. If this guitar was given to me it would get sold asap so I could actually purchase a few guitars that would actually get played and enjoyed than this thing. And this guy wants almost 40g for the guitar and then he is charging almost 500 for shipping. With the bridge like it is' date=' I bet this is nothing but a guitar cabinet instrument.

Finally what the he11 is up with all the caps in his description of the guitar. [/quote']

Oh, I am just interested in the historical aspect of it, I would not buy an old guitar especially if it was expensive.

If this guitar was given to me I would also sell it as soon as possible and would use the money for hookers and blow....I am just kidding can you imagine if I was like that?

It is just a nice guitar to look at...

Old Black's a '53 right? This is basically the exact same guitar as that one, minus the refin and bigsby bolted on. They have one of those exact ones at Rudy's in NYC.

and IMO a modern BMW is a very poor investment, a '52 LP is a very good investment :)

I could see wanting to own an original '52 for historical reasons if I had the money.

What I don't understand is why is Gibson making a re-issue of the '52 and who will want it? Yes, it was good for it's time, but they eventually had to work out bugs to come up with the improved LPs of the later 50s. I don't want a guitar with all the flaws of the early models. :-k

I could see wanting to own an original '52 for historical reasons if I had the money.

What I don't understand is why is Gibson making a re-issue of the '52 and who will want it? Yes' date=' it was good for it's time, but they eventually had to work out bugs to come up with the improved LPs of the later 50s. I don't want a guitar with all the flaws of the early models. =D> [/quote']

Oh man, I was going to get you one for Christmas...

now.. correct me if I'm wrong.. but shouldn't the price on that be WAY higher? the early ones at Gruhn's are in the 100-200K range. then again.. the story seems kinda shady, so a lot of collectors will stay away. that's the kind of guitar you want to see in person before even thinking about buying.

Also, if it was real, and that's all they want for it, I'm pretty sure Gibson would have bought it for the museum.

actually if you look on Gruhn's site right now you can find at least 3 different 1952-53 Goldtop Les Pauls (with the trapeze tailpiece) and they have all been significantly reduced in price to around $15,000 to $16,000. There is one with a wraparound stop tailpiece at $25,000. the 12th Fret guitar shop website also has an all original 1952 LP goldtop currently listed at $15,000.

i still say $40,000 is way overpriced.

Archived