Gibson Brands Forums

They Grow Up Fast

Californiaman

My 10-year-old boy discovered that his friends from school collect football cards and now he wants nothing to do with Pokemon any more.

Instead, he wants all of mine. And I've got some great cards. Troy Aikmen, Barry Sanders, Emmit Smith, Tim Brown, Michael Irvin, Dion Sanders, Bo Jackson I could go on and on.

"Dad, can I have your football cards? Are you going to give me your football cards? How about you give me the ones you don't want. Why don't you sell them on the internet dad?"

Yeah, he's all boy. At least it's just football and not every other sport under the sun. Although that day will probably come soon.

He told me I should sell my Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisburger, Mike Singltary and Marcus Allen rookies. When he found how much the Brian Urlacher card was worth, he said, "Sell that one too dad."

One day the subject of the Michael Jordan rookie card will certainly come up.

Kids. Sheesh!

My boy wanted to play football this year, but because of the grading system that the league uses, we were afraid he'd not enjoy himself.

He can play next year. He's 10, 5'-2", 115 pounds and only in the fifth grade. I figure next season he'll have more fun as a sixth-grader playing with kids who are in seventh grade.

Because he's so big he'll probably be on the line or tight end. I'm training him to throw though because if he turns out the way we think he's going to, he'll be 6'-5" and 225-230.

Roethlisberger size.

As far as a car goes Nikko (and it's good to see you back in the Forums again) he's going to have to work and save for one. That's the deal here. His mother has already told him, "You work, save your money and you buy a car."

. While that's a huge eye opener' date=' the one that really woke me up was my son driving away to go to high school in the same vehicle that brought him home from the hospital when he was born in 1989.

What can I say its a damn good truck, Ram Tough

Great Topic Cali[/quote']

Thats a great story Jocko...

My 10-year-old boy discovered that his friends from school collect football cards and now he wants nothing to do with Pokemon any more.

Instead' date=' he wants all of mine. And I've got some great cards. Troy Aikmen, Barry Sanders, Emmit Smith, Tim Brown, Michael Irvin, Dion Sanders, Bo Jackson I could go on and on.

"Dad, can I have your football cards? Are you going to give me your football cards? How about you give me the ones you don't want. Why don't you sell them on the internet dad?"

Yeah, he's all boy. At least it's just football and not every other sport under the sun. Although that day will probably come soon.

He told me I should sell my Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisburger, Mike Singltary and Marcus Allen rookies. When he found how much the Brian Urlacher card was worth, he said, "Sell that one too dad."

One day the subject of the Michael Jordan rookie card will certainly come up.

Kids. Sheesh![/quote']

When they ask if they can have YOUR baseball/football/basketball/cricket cards do the following:

Put your had on his shoulder, look him square in the eyes and say, "They are MY retirement plan. GET YOUR OWN!"

Then hand him a couple packs of new, unopened cards.

Archived