Gibson Brands Forums

Humbucker sized P90 (-like) pickups

Shaker

I have an SG standard and a 61 RI. Of the two, the 61 RI gets used almost exclusively. I am thinking of putting in humbucker sized P90 pickups, like Gibson P94s or SD Phat Cats, into the seldom used SG standard, mostly as an experiment to increase the tonal range. I would like hear any comments, suggestions and any experience you may have with similar attempts. Thanks.

Never used 'em myself.

Heard the whole range of descriptions about them.

From "Eh, whatever..." to "Holy Cow, these things rock!"

Being a huge P-90 fan though, I say go for it.

One thing I can tell you;

When Seymour Duncan tells you a pickup is a little hot, it's gonna be HOT!

If you have a choice in aftermarket pickup output, err on the conservative.

SD just came out with some new pickups that are like a P-90 with a rail in a humbucker-sized package. It gives a good p90 sound from the demos I heard, but also a usable more "strat-like" single coil sound, and a humbucking sound that is really "classic" sounding. I forget what they are called though, but you should definitely check them out.

SD just came out with some new pickups that are like a P-90 with a rail in a humbucker-sized package. It gives a good p90 sound from the demos I heard' date=' but also a usable more "strat-like" single coil sound, and a humbucking sound that is really "classic" sounding. I forget what they are called though, but you should definitely check them out.[/quote']

i believe those are called prails.

SD just came out with some new pickups that are like a P-90 with a rail in a humbucker-sized package. It gives a good p90 sound from the demos I heard' date=' but also a usable more "strat-like" single coil sound, and a humbucking sound that is really "classic" sounding. I forget what they are called though, but you should definitely check them out.[/quote']

Yeah, P Rails.

I installed two in my Epi SG and they're not bad. I flipped them over so that I would get the rail next to the bridge. It did give a pretty un Gibson like sound but not really a Strat. The P90 sound was really nice in parallel mode. Very rich and creamy.

If your interested, check out the SD site and look into their schematics. The one with the 4 sound options works very well (push/pull splits on the tone knobs). I'm still betting that they it would all be brighter in a Raw Power however.

Archived