Gibson Brands Forums

Time to change a breakfast menu item I guess....

ksdaddy

I know they're horrible and of questionable sources but I love those frozen sausage patties in the morning. The frozen ones in a bag. Nuke some, slap some cheese on there, mmm mmmm, greasy spicy breakfast.

This last package though.... ugh. It's been several hours and I can still taste.....something.

You know how taste is actually a combination of taste and smell? Well, all I can smell is the porcupine I shot in my garage in 1985, a combination of armpit sweat and barnyard funk.

I'm beginning to think those sausage patties aren't a good choice.

My running joke is that you never ever see a dumpster behind the slaughterhouse; they'll find a use for it somewhere. I accepted those terms every time I ate what I call 'miscellaneous meat' from the supermarket.

I'm rethinking that.

I know they're horrible and of questionable sources but I love those frozen sausage patties in the morning. The frozen ones in a bag. Nuke some' date=' slap some cheese on there, mmm mmmm, greasy spicy breakfast.

This last package though.... ugh. It's been several hours and I can still taste.....something.

You know how taste is actually a combination of taste and smell? Well, all I can smell is the porcupine I shot in my garage in 1985, a combination of armpit sweat and barnyard funk.

.[/quote']

LOL!

Man, I'd be hurling all over the place !

Yeah ham would be a better choice or at least not the frozen sausage. If you can find a butcher who makes their own sausage that's the way to go.

Then cook it and after you pull the sausage out throw about a Table spoon of flour in the hot grease and whisk it around a wee bit, add a little bit of water to break up the sausage cracklings - whisk that around for a minute and add some milk or cream and you have gravy.

Scamble up some eggs and take the eggs, sausage, gravy and smother over some ciabatta bread ~ or make it a sandwhich...

now that's breakfast.

I love those bagged sausage patties too. They are usually less fatty as evidenced by their smaller shrink percentage and lack of my own gag reflex as I try to swallow. Not many of the cheap sausage in a tube are consumable by me.

We get our bagged sausage at Aldi. Nobody can touch their prices... nobody.

They do sell these in different flavors, so maybe the missus either picked up the wrong flavor or decided to try something different. Your only recourse is to tell the cook your preference.

However... I haven't run into this in a long time.... but sometimes, pork can have a gamey flavor. What I've smelt is akin to a 2 day old diaper hiding in the back seat of the car in late July. Usually this odor can be detected by smelling the raw product, but most who haven't had the displeasure of purchasing it don't smell that close. Toss a patty or chop on the griddle and ... Hoooo Weeee! People of the household will be checkin' their arm pits, turnin' on the bathroom fan and just plain sniffin' everything to see where the odor is comin' from. Eventually, the source is found, but by then the dog has left the porch for the far corner of the chain link fenced yard and the cats are clawing a hole in the door.

What causes this? Boar meat. The un-emasculated male of the species has an odor gland that causes the muscle tissue to take on this gamey flavor. The female of the species thinks this odor better'n Hai Karate and a leisure suit. But to most other species it is most obnoxious.... like Hai Karate and a leisure suit. Boar meat should only be used for highly spiced smokey links and the like.

Every once in a while a boar carcass sneaks through the system and winds up in your skillet as fresh (unspiced) pork. While it is okay to eat, it is not very palatable. If the smell of it doesn't linger for several hours to a couple days, it probably is not boar meat. If it is boar meat, remove the skillet to the outdoors, when it cools, bag the cooked and uncooked meat back up, take it back to whence it came. You may have to hold it out the window as you drive, so be careful. Maybe tie it on the roof. Ask to see the meat manager. When he arrives, open the bag and tell him, 'We have a problem.' His nose will do all the 'splainin' The meat manager will want to quickly get the bag closed and your problem resolved.

I have never had this problem with Aldi meat. Last time was some pork chops I bought at a small independent grocery who cut their own meat. He buys halves and hole carcases and and parts them out, just like in the good old days. Sometimes the source of these small lots don't have the quality control to keep the boar carcasses segregated. He was most obliged to replace it.

I've worked in the livestock industry before. Packers who process boar and old sows are a specialty business. Any packer who purchases the usual 220 butcher hog doesn't even allow boars and sows on their lot. This being said, the big chain stores are probably less likely to get boar meat into their stock. It's the independent guy who may ... dare I say.. buy a pig in a poke when he purchases a few sides instead of pre-packaged meats. Once the hide and stones are off it's not easy to tell, short of a good sniffer, if it's boar meat.

Boy Tommy lot's of detail in that post you know your sausage apparently. The above thread proves yet again what a city boy I am. I don't know anything about animals as food, as I never see them before being processed and wrapped and you know what I'm fine with that concept I don't need to know anything about my food before it's processed I don't really like to think about food having a face, and I sure don't want to know what happend in the process.

Years ago my brother jumped into my car on the way to a weekend hiking/camping with 3 other friends. He had a sausage egg mcmuff in his hand. In less than 30 seconds I had stopped the car and everyone bailed. We had not smelled anything that back since the last 5 day old road kill. We made hi throw it away. He breaks wind a lot and the thought of him in the car and breaking wind after eating something that smelled that bad was just too much to contemplate. He went hungry. You know what they say in Russia?? Toughky Sh*tsky. You don't smell up my car with that!!

Archived