Gibson Brands Forums

2002 Les Paul Standard Gold Top w/59 neck

joegb8

I just have to say... I just bought my first Les Paul and I LOVE IT!

Feels great, sounds awesome, looks awesome.... fits like a glove.

Funny though, says on the tag w/59 neck but it feels like a 60's neck, nice and slim (i thought 50's necks were really chunky.. no?). And the headstock has that nice vintage look.

Anyway, I'm stoked, and looking forward to playing this beautiful beast for many many years!

cheers!

many thanks all!

sorry, bit new to the whole forum thing lol, will try and get some pics up asap! although, maybe I'll hold off for now as i discovered a nasty hairline scratch on the back, so i'll be exchanging it for another, if the neck isn't to chunky (i'm told this 2002 goldtop is discontinued and the only other one they have has more of the classic 50's neck), that or the dealer's going to have the back part re-finished for me, something I'm skeptical about but he tells me the guy's connected to Bob Rock and has worked on Metallica's guitars so.... that might be cool.

oh, Seymour Duncan 59 neck pickup?? hmmm.. thanks I'll definitely be asking the dealer about that.

I love this guitar!

Joe

Are you sure it didn't mean Seymour Duncan 59 neck pickup?

59 refers to the neck profile.

although' date=' maybe I'll hold off for now as i discovered a nasty hairline scratch on the back' date=' so i'll be exchanging it for another, if the neck isn't to chunky (i'm told this 2002 goldtop is discontinued and the only other one they have has more of the classic 50's neck), that or the dealer's going to have the back part re-finished for me,[/quote'']

A scratch is a scratch and if you ask them to refinish the entire neck for you, they'll just look at you funny. IT'S A USED GUITAR, not the Mona Lisa!! If you're going to play it, it's going to show signs of wear - there's nothing that can be done about that.

Your guitar hasn't been discontinued, it's been renamed. The 2008 & newer Les Paul Traditional is the exact same guitar as your 2002 Standard. The only differences are the picks & that the Trads have plekd frets.

Archived