Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson James Hetfield Signature

jlb32

I know I'm going to get thrashed for this but.....](*,)

I've never heard of James Hetfield

Personally I think only the all time greats and the people who had a tremendous impact on music as a whole (BB King, Les Paul, SRV, Robert Johnson, Clapton etc...) should have signature guitars made not the people who are (among professional guitarists) good.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This whole concepts makes me scratch my head there's the side that love's anything signed or authorized and must have it then there's the polar opposite who doesn't get it and doesn't want anything that's signed and even get's angry when gibson releases a model???

Guess I'm squarely in the middle I have several of the signature models but can't imagine anyone really caring that they are signature models even me. So far I own:

Warren Haynes - LP I bought this guitar because I loved it and it's become my number one guitar it's a new guitar that's basically a R8 with a solid body no weight relief, Bone Nut, Strap Locks, BB and a great Burst color and look and a gorgeous plain top. it also has the CAE SOUND unity-gain buffer pre-amp built into the guitar (which is probably the most useful add on electronics made for guitar) The signature part is a signed and autographed COA and a photo of Warren playing which is actually kind of cool since he's the best guitar player alive in my opinion. The serial number also shows it's a signature as it's WH-0XX but I doubt if anyone else even knows it's a signature model.

Second Signature model is a Billy Joe Armstrong model I bought second hand. I wanted a new Junior to play since my 59 is getting to valuable to haul around I wanted a white Jr and I wanted a ebony board on it so the Green Day Model was what I ended up finding. Almost didn't buy it because of the signature which is on the case and combined with a Faux Leopard skin interior not my style but honestly everybody loves it and it get's comments every time I open it.

My third signature model is a Johnny A - don't know if that counts though and even if it does who cares it's great guitar.

So I guess I like the Signature Models - but for the wrong reasons some are just cool guitars. If I found them at the right price I would probably also buy the Joan Jet melody Maker and I love the Dave Grohl 335 in blue looks like a Trinni Lopez model. And after saying all that I'd love to own the custom Shop Bob Marley

and that one I wouldn't play I'd hang it on the wall and look at it so I guess thats as signature model as you can get

Hey kids whos james hetfield? "Who?"

Hey kids who slash? "Some famous guitarist."

It's probably the opposite if that question was asked.

Slash was in G 'n' R in the late 80's - early 90's and what has he done since then that people actually listen to?

There was Velvot Revolver for a few years and now that's done for the moment. Slash has rarely even been on the radar for the last 20 years.

Metallica just released a album last year that has sold around 3 million copies and counting.

Personally I think only the all time greats and the people who had a tremendous impact on music as a whole (BB King' date=' Les Paul, SRV, Robert Johnson, Clapton etc...) should have signature guitars made not the people who are (among professional guitarists) good.[/quote']

So I guess someone that is in the Rock 'n' Roll Hall Of Fame, has sold over 120 million albums so far and has probably influenced more people in hard rock/metal than anyone else in their generation doesn't count??? I think that's a little more than being "good".

So I guess someone that is in the Rock 'n' Roll Hall Of Fame' date=' has sold over 120 million albums so far and has probably influenced more people in hard rock/metal than anyone else in their generation doesn't count??? I think that's a little more than being "good".

[/quote']

did I say he wasnt worthy? no....

I said I didnt know who he was.

only an idiot would make an assumption like that.

learn to read the posts and COMPREHEND what they're saying.

remember I just gave my opinion on who should get it and said that I didnt know who he was..... so think on it for a sec.

did I say he wasnt worthy? no....

I said I didnt know who he was.

only an idiot would make an assumption like that.

learn to read the posts and COMPREHEND what they're saying.

remember I just gave my opinion on who should get it and said that I didnt know who he was..... so think on it for a sec.

Did I post anything stating you said he wasn't worthy? My statement was a rhetorical question. How could it be stated towards you directly when you posted you didn't even know who he was?

You said you didn't know him and stated others you thought were worthy so I gave some facts of some of their accomplishments in a rhetorical sense.

Maybe you should take your own recommendations before you jump to conclusions about what my statement was.

James Hetfield is the best rhythm guitar player that ever was and is, can't touch him.

Add his uncanny ability to write lyrics and lead one of the most influential and successful bands of all times for over 30 years.

Metallica rocked Nashville a week ago, they fücking killed it, they wowed the crowd like I never seen before.

You don't like Metallica cool, I don't like Jazz so I let it be.

A Hetfield signature would outsell many other guitar legends models, I assure you.

If you don't like signature guitars don't buy them. I don't.

touche

but you made it sound like I said he was a bad guitarist If I may quote "I think that's a little more than being good."

I never said he was bad

Maybe I should have worded it differently and not in a rhetorical sense but I never thought you would think I was accusing you of saying he was bad or unworthy since you stated you didn't even know him.

Anyway' date=' heres another pretty cool Hetfield Les Paul.

[img']http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/joe32/JamesHetfieldsilverishGibsonLesPaul.jpg[/img]

Not flamming ya but IMO it would be a really bad business decision of Gibson to even attempt this mdl. James is more known for his ESP guitars.

He played 2 ESPs, his Ken Lawrence Explorer, 3 Gibson Explorers and a Gibson V here in Nashville. Majority Gibson by my Math although not by much.

Its for certain your a fan but it takes more than one to do this' date=' the fan base just isn't there. Majority of those who purchase these signature models do it for what the guitar has to offer. Just like Zakkx what would this guitar offer? Emg's and a decal, so what. If I wanted I could get the same out of my studio and emg's but I hate emg's. This guitar would have nothing to offer the playing musician other than bragging rights of; Look at me I spent 3.5k for a guitar with emg's and a decal. But if it is made then it would be more than the custom mdl Gibson can't give away the Zakk mdls right now and only the hard core like the upper end guitars and signature mdls.

Not flamming ya but IMO it would be a really bad business decision of Gibson to even attempt this mdl. James is more known for his ESP guitars.

[/quote']

I see what you are saying but those things can be said about almost all guitars in general.

IMO you can't even compare anything Hetfield with anything Zakk Wylde just because both use EMG's. Zakk just doesn't have the popularity at all IMO. Personally I'm surprised Gibson sells any of those Zakk signatures.

There was a guy selling his take of James's Iron Cross Les Paul on Ebay a month or so ago. He made 3 or 4 of them and they all sold quickly for around $5,000 or more.

Of course it would have to be a guitar that was different enough to be known as Hetfields but I almost guarantee they would sell. If Gibson can sell all of these Slash guitars they have been making recently a Hetfield model would sell probably 3 times faster.

James is known for ESP's but for most he is known for Gibson also.

Zakk just doesn't have the popularity at all IMO. Personally I'm surprised Gibson sells any of those Zakk signatures.

tell that to someone who loves him.

it's aother thing thats just so subjective.

you cant think for everyone else (who would buy what).... dont even try to.... just stick to what YOU like.

tell that to someone who loves him.

it's aother thing thats just so subjective.

you cant think for everyone else (who would buy what).... dont even try to.... just stick to what YOU like.

What I stated was based on what guitarest posted if you want to read his post.

Of course my statement was exaggerated and of course he has fans but if you are going to compare his fanbase against Hetfields then it's not much of a comparison.

That's why I stated I'm surprised Gibson sells any of those if guitarest thinks a Hetfield model would be a bad business decision yet Gibson continues to sell many Zakk Wylde models.

Geez you guys are so sensitive about your hero's. NO one said any thing negative about James' date=' Zakk or any one else.

Chill with this [/quote']

It's all in fun discussion. I don't have anything against Zakk Wylde or his signature guitar.

Geez you guys are so sensitive about your hero's. NO one said any thing negative about James' date=' Zakk or any one else.

Chill with this [/quote']

neither of them is my hero hell I dont like wylde and I only like one metallica song.

Chill with this

Actually I thought you sounded pretty tore up and un-relaxed about signature guitars in general.

If a signature guitar inspires somebody to play better or even play to begin with nothing wrong with that.

Signature guitars DO sell, that is why them make'em, it all comes down to the simplest business equation.

If there is Demand there is offer. Simple as that.

yeah i'm a little surprised that hetfield doesn't have his own sig. especially with zakk having one. it'd be a pretty cool git with all the locking hardware and active pups. personally, i'd save the money, buy a standard and just mod it. but there would be plenty of fans that would prolly shell out the jack. especially with all the old metallica fans that have grown up and become yuppies....

Oh I am but its cool to buy them if you want' date=' I just don't want this to be another "Fill in the Artist" for god and all others can suk it threads[/quote']

I don't think this thread will turn into that. I'm not huge on signature guitars either. I just think it would be cool for Hetfield to have a Gibson signature since he's been playing Gibsons for 25+ years. Even if it was just a limited to 400 or something one time deal only.

Here's his Gibson Les Paul Custom Cliff Burton tribute guitar.

JamesHetfieldCliffBurtonGibsonLesPa.jpg

It's probably the opposite if that question was asked.

Slash was in G 'n' R in the late 80's - early 90's and what has he done since then that people actually listen to?

There was Velvot Revolver for a few years and now that's done for the moment. Slash has rarely even been on the radar for the last 20 years.

Metallica just released a album last year that has sold around 3 million copies and counting.

So I guess someone that is in the Rock 'n' Roll Hall Of Fame' date=' has sold over 120 million albums so far and has probably influenced more people in hard rock/metal than anyone else in their generation doesn't count??? I think that's a little more than being "good".

[/quote']

and 2.5 million of those ppl who bought it are posers. I win. :-k/

That's pretty funny you talk about anyone being a poser considering your avatar.:-s

Anyway here's a few more of James's many many Gibsons.

JamesHetfieldGibsonsilverburstV.jpg

HetfieldGibsonSilverburstexplorer.jpg

What about my avatar..you calling Death a poser band boy? One of the fathers of death metal a poser? Plz go on. =D>

What about my avatar..you calling Death a poser band boy? One of the fathers of death metal a poser? Plz go on. :-s

I think it was you that started calling certain things poser.

You seem to be the type that considers everything you don't like poser. Well I don't care for death metal.

I think it was you that started calling certain things poser.

You seem to be the type that considers everything you don't like poser. Well I don't care for death metal.

No i do like metallcia its just that bands that get to famous for not being what their roots were piss me off. Also dont judge a book by its cover.

No i do like metallcia its just that bands that get to famous for not being what their roots were piss me off. Also dont judge a book by its cover.

Their first 4 albums is what got them famous and popular. The Black Album just upped that popularity and their diversity is what has kept them famous.

For me personally I am the opposite of how you feel. I personally don't think any musician or band should be limited to or expected to always play a certain genre of music.

Metallica have always taken risks and have always played what they have felt' date=' not what others expect them to play. Every album they have ever released sounds different from any other one.

Here's one of his Gibson LP Bursts.

[img']http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/joe32/JamesHetfieldGibsonLesPaulBurst.jpg[/img]

personally don't think any musician or band should be limited to or expected to always play a certain genre of music.

Metallica have always taken risks and have always played what they have felt' date=' not what others expect them to play. Every album they have ever released sounds different from any other one.

[/quote']

+1000000

my hat is off to anyone who does what they want to do, even if its not the popular choice or any good. St Anger is obviously the weakest album in their catalogue, but they did what they wanted to do.

no one gives Jimmy Page any **** because of In Through the Out Door.

Archived