Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson James Hetfield Signature

jlb32

no one gives Jimmy Page any **** because of In Through the Out Door.

Whoa, hold on a tick. We were talking about lame-*** Hetfield who should have a custom shop microphone, not a guitar. I would figure a guitarist from the band would be more appropriate to receive a custom guitar. Don't come back at me with that rhythm guitarist crap either: rhythm guitarist < lead guitarist. Is Hetfield's guitar really that cool? I hope gibson releases a Hetfield model just so this conversation can end. It was all downhill after Metallica's "Kill Em All". Don't get Page or Zeppelin caught up in this mess. "In Through the Out Door" was a good album I thought: it showed Zeppelin's progression as artists/band and the fact that they no longer wanted to play appropriated blues songs. How about a custom model for Robert Plant? He played rhythm...

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whoa' date=' hold on a tick. We were talking about lame-*** Hetfield who should have a custom shop microphone, not a guitar. lol good one. I would figure a guitarist from the band would be more appropriate to receive a custom guitar. ummm..he pretty much is the band. Don't come back at me with that rhythm guitarist crap either: rhythm guitarist < lead guitarist. Is Hetfield's guitar really that cool? I hope gibson releases a Hetfield model just so this conversation can end. It was all downhill after Metallica's "Kill Em All". sure, MOP was just the worst. Don't get Page or Zeppelin caught up in this mess. "In Through the Out Door" was a good album I thought i like it too.: it showed Zeppelin's progression as artists/band and the fact that they no longer wanted to play appropriated blues songs. sure it did....or it showed how strung out JP was in 1979. thats why JPJ's fingerprints are all over that album. How about a custom model for Robert Plant? He played rhythm...

while we're at it,the argument can certainly be made that page is really nothing short of a song stealing, drug addicted hack. i like the guy a lot, but he certainly wasnt all that revolutionary except in his ability to get away with plagiarism. ever seen him play live? not uncommon for it to be sad and sloppy.

hetfield is a good guitarist. is he the best lead player? maybe not, but he can hold his own in the writing department.

by your logic, i suppose John Lennon shouldnt have a sig guitar? if lead is all that matters, then Lennon was a shitty shitty musician.

and do you believe Angus Young should have a sig? BJA? or maybe no sigs at all would be the best.

can we let this thread die?

Why let it die? It's a legitimate thread/discussion about a musician that plays Gibson guitars and this is a Gibson discussion forum.

You have already stated that you are not a Metallica fan and didn't even know who James Hetfield was so why would you even worry about this thread? There are plenty of other topics.

Here's another of his Gibsons

JamesHetfieldGibsonRustyexplorer.jpg

It was all downhill after Metallica's "Kill Em All". Don't get Page or Zeppelin caught up in this mess. "In Through the Out Door" was a good album I thought: it showed Zeppelin's progression as artists/band and the fact that they no longer wanted to play appropriated blues songs. How about a custom model for Robert Plant? He played rhythm...

You don't really know what you are talking about. If you are not a Metallica fan that is fine but the notion that everything Page did is gold is not true and you know it. Knocking down Hetfield and rhythm guitar players. Malcolm Young has a signtaure guitar, does he not deserve it either?

Metallica has been together for almost 30 years and they still rock, Led Zeppelin was together for 10 years and during those 10 years they had their peak. Page has not done anything relevant since.

You don't really know what you are talking about. If you are not a Metallica fan that is fine but the notion that everything Page did is gold is not true and you know it. Knocking down Hetfield and rhythm guitar players. Malcolm Young has a signtaure guitar' date=' does he not deserve it either?

Metallica has been together for almost 30 years and they still rock, Led Zeppelin was together for 10 years and during those 10 years they had their peak. Page has not done anything relevant since.

[/quote']

I agree. I think if anyone deserves it it is Hetfield. He may not be a lead guitarist but he does play some lead and is the best rhythm guitarist around in hard rock/metal. IMO being a lead guitarist or rhythm doesn't really matter. The guy is super talented.

The fact that he would love to have a Gibson signature if Gibson showed the intrest is great also IMO. It would be different if Gibson SINCERELY offered and James turned them down but I don't think that would be the case.

I know there are alot of non-Metallica and anti signature guitar fans here. I'm not huge on Signature guitars either but I do like seeing them when I feel they would be a great combo between the artist and the guitar manufacturer. IMO Hetfield could make Gibson alot of money and give them representation in a musical genre where that they don't have alot.

I know there are alot of non-Metallica and anti signature guitar fans here.

Surprisingly so.

I am 40 and grew up with Metallica from the beginning, I have the Kill'em All vinyl from MegaForce Records before they signed with Elektra and then all of their vinyls including a few English singles. It was cool to grow with them as opossed to live off memories of extint bands.

Metallica is a succesful band, people seem to react funny because they didn't: die from a drug overdose, go broke, break up, throw fits and cancelled concerts, disrespcted fans, went back to play bars (for need, they actually played "The Basement" here in Nashville).

They have been together for almost 30 years, most of their albums are incredibly successful, survived the 80's to 90's grunge, the Alternative trend, the new metal and still rock it out.

A band that does not have a "Greatest Hits" album after 26 years of recording because they do not need to.

By the way, signature guitars ain't that bad either.

To each its own.

Surprisingly so.

I am 40 and grew up with Metallica from the beginning' date=' I have the Kill'em All vinyl from MegaForce Records before they signed with Elektra and then all of their vinyls including a few English singles. It was cool to grow with them as opossed to live off memories of extint bands.

Metallica is a succesful band, people seem to react funny because they didn't: die from a drug overdose, go broke, break up, throw fits and cancelled concerts, disrespcted fans, went back to play bars (for need, they actually played "The Basement" here in Nashville).

They have been together for almost 30 years, most of their albums are incredibly successful, survived the 80's to 90's grunge, the Alternative trend, the new metal and still rock it out.

A band that does not have a "Greatest Hits" album after 26 years of recording because they do not need to.

By the way, signature guitars ain't that bad either.

To each its own.

[/quote']

Yeah, I have been a fan since Kill 'em All also. Their success is without a doubt and they are bigger today than they have ever been.

I agree with all of your points. For them to still be going strong after almost 30 years together, to be in the Rock 'n' Roll Hall Of Fame, to have sold over 120+ million albums and counting and still selling out everywhere they go wether it's a 15,000 seat arena or headlining a 150,000 fan festival is amazing.

Every new album they release goes straight to #1 in almost every country it's released in. Why Hetfield and Gibson have not got together is beyond me. I think alot of it is Gibsons old fashioned ways but if they are in the business to make money the relationship makes alot of sense to me.

JamesHetfieldnaturalGibsonLesPaul.jpg

No i do like metallcia its just that bands that get to famous for not being what their roots were piss me off. Also dont judge a book by its cover.

so metallica cashed in because they could. don't think for a second that chuck wouldn't have done the same thing. he just never had the opportunity. a lot of people feel the same way about later-death as you do about later-metallica....

so metallica cashed in because they could. don't think for a second that chuck wouldn't have done the same thing. he just never had the opportunity. a lot of people feel the same way about later-death as you do about later-metallica....

damn..you win...

But 3/4 of todays metal sucks!

more than that....

the vast majority of metal sucks...its those rare bands like Pantera' date=' Slayer, etc that make it worth while. ymmv[/quote']

Ya those bands do...i can name a few bands today that are from the 2000's that are pretty damn good. Necrophagist is one since there guitarist is ****ing really good.

Ya those bands do...i can name a few bands today that are from the 2000's that are pretty damn good. Necrophagist is one since there guitarist is ****ing really good.

Yeah there are still a few good bands around but I agree most of todays metal is very bad. Personally I am really liking Alice In Chains new album.

For me Metallica is still one of my favorite bands. I for one really love their versatility and never expected them to continue to put out album after album of the same style music. Maybe that's why I still like albums like Load and Reload even though they are different from their first 4 albums which I love. I personally really don't compare albums to albums. I just listen and go from there.

JamesHetfieldGibsonLesPaulBlackBeau.jpg

Yeah there are still a few good bands around but I agree most of todays metal is very bad. Personally I am really liking Alice In Chains new album.

For me Metallica is still one of my favorite bands. I for one really love their versatility and never expected them to continue to put out album after album of the same style music. Maybe that's why I still like albums like Load and Reload even though they are different from their first 4 albums which I love. I personally really don't compare albums to albums. I just listen and go from there.

same here. load was actually the first metallica i ever consciously heard. i do like the first 4 albums the best, but i have found good in everything they done since.

I have to say I am fascinated by Death Magnetic. When people give me crap about Load and Reload I simply ask them what heavy rock mainstream band they were listening to during those years, not very good answers.

Garage, Inc was great, killer versions of (in my book) classic songs, Mercyful Fate played by Metallica, simply delightful.

I have to say I am fascinated by Death Magnetic. When people give me crap about Load and Reload I simply ask them what heavy rock mainstream band they were listening to during those years' date=' not very good answers.

Garage, Inc was great, killer versions of (in my book) classic songs, Mercyful Fate played by Metallica, simply delightful.[/quote']

they were listening to Creed. #-o

I have to say I am fascinated by Death Magnetic. When people give me crap about Load and Reload I simply ask them what heavy rock mainstream band they were listening to during those years' date=' not very good answers.

Garage, Inc was great, killer versions of (in my book) classic songs, Mercyful Fate played by Metallica, simply delightful.[/quote']

Yeah, Garage Inc was killer. Load and Reload to me wasn't that mainstream. It was fairly radio friendly but it still had a sound like nothing else out at the time. IMO the Black Album was the most radio friendly album.

St. Anger was definitely a mystery with it's over the top raw production. With better production I think I would have liked it much more.

Death Magnetic is really good IMO. It's kind of a step back but still modern and still sounds completely different than any album they have done. It also could have used better production though IMO.

JamesHetfieldGibsonFirebird.jpg

Stupid question but what would a signature model provide over a regular Custom Shop model?

I'll use the Firebird in the above post as an example.

If you knew exactly what pickups, electronics, tuners, etc were in Hetfield's you could order it through Gibson (or make your own mods) and have it the same.

What's so unique about a signature model that makes it cost so much more? Other than, of course, the obvious cost of Gibson paying to use XXXX player's name on the truss rod cover.

Stupid question but what would a signature model provide over a regular Custom Shop model?

I'll use the Firebird in the above post as an example.

If you knew exactly what pickups' date=' electronics, tuners, etc were in Hetfield's you could order it through Gibson (or make your own mods) and have it the same.

What's so unique about a signature model that makes it cost so much more? Other than, of course, the obvious cost of Gibson paying to use XXXX player's name on the truss rod cover.

[/quote']

For one thing it would probably cost you more to order a one-off Custom through Gibson than it would if it was actually a signature guitar they offered.

As far as modding a production model Custom to replicate the artists version, it can be done easily sometimes and sometimes not. Alot of the signature guitars have unique tops or paint jobs, etc....that would be hard to replicate without major expense.

Alot of the Signature guitars cost more obviously because of the musicians name being on it. They are popular though because some fans just like having guitars like their favorite musicians play. Alot of them are limited also and hold their value well so some consider them a collectors pieces or good investments.

There will always be the argument between those that love Signature guitars and those that feel they are a waste but guitar companies make them because they sell and it's a good way to endorse their products.

Personally I'm not one that wants to own all signature guitars but I don't mind having one or two if they aren't outrageously priced and if I consider them something cool that I relate to a favorite musician.

Archived