Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson James Hetfield Signature

jlb32

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you working on a Explorer' date=' Flying V or Les Paul? I'd like to see Gibson and Hetfield come up with something completely new for a signature guitar instead of remaking one of his old guitars.

If they ever did get together I'm sure it would be a Les Paul shape since that seems to be his preferred model these days but he still uses alot of explorers and V's also.[/quote']

Gibson Explorer right now. I have an LP copy I already moded to something he could use. Eventually I want a V and a real Gibson LP.

• 3 weeks later...
Wow I read everyone's comments and I only have two things to say: Metallica are my favorite band since they started and second....I'll just stick my Gibson :-

+1 I personally just don't understand Gibson most of the time and a majority of guitar players these days seem to feel the same. They don't seem to ever listen to most of what their fanbase desires. It seems they would rather spend a majority of their time producing limited runs of new guitars that 99% of people laugh at (reverse explorer' date=' reverse V, holy explorer, hippie multi plywood SG, robot guitars, Dusk Tiger, $15K Page Signatures, etc.....) All of this while their sales and quality control continue to go downhill yet they continue to raise their prices year after year.

It's a shame IMO that someone like Hetfield has tried to work with them and Gibson has did nothing but be difficult to this point. Makes me wonder if they are really in the business to make money these days or if they are just holding out till they are forced to sell Gibson to another company.

[img']http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/joe32/GibsonJamesHetfieldRustyexplorer2.jpg[/img]

• 2 weeks later...
+1 I personally just don't understand Gibson most of the time and a majority of guitar players these days seem to feel the same. They don't seem to ever listen to most of what their fanbase desires. It seems they would rather spend a majority of their time producing limited runs of new guitars that 99% of people laugh at (reverse explorer' date=' reverse V, holy explorer, hippie multi plywood SG, robot guitars, Dusk Tiger, $15K Page Signatures, etc.....) All of this while their sales and quality control continue to go downhill yet they continue to raise their prices year after year.

It's a shame IMO that someone like Hetfield has tried to work with them and Gibson has did nothing but be difficult to this point. Makes me wonder if they are really in the business to make money these days or if they are just holding out till they are forced to sell Gibson to another company.

[/quote']

It might have something to do w/ JH's contract w/ ESP.

Gibson seems to be marketing to collectors too much. Metal fans need more than just a ZW sig. I don't own one, nor will I buy one but, I'm just saying. A Hetfield sig Gibson and/or Epi? I'd get one of each.

It might have something to do w/ JH's contract w/ ESP.

Gibson seems to be marketing to collectors too much. Metal fans need more than just a ZW sig. I don't own one' date=' nor will I buy one but, I'm just saying. A Hetfield sig Gibson and/or Epi? I'd get one of each.[/quote']

It really doesn't have anything to do with ESP. James and ESP have a very open relationship. James had his Iron Cross Gibson Les Paul in the works with Gibson as a signature but Gibson wanted to be difficult it seems and James became impatient.

A James Hetfield Gibson signature would sell alot of guitars for Gibson IMO. It would probably be one of Gibsons biggest selling signature guitars.

A Truckster is on my to buy list. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Something always comes up. I had the $$ but I have always wanted a Gibson Explorer. Priorities. Maybe next time. If Gibson ever does do a deal with Hetfield, I hope it's an Explorer or a V and not an LP. Not that I don't love LPs but who is the first guitar player you think of when you see an Explorer?

• 2 weeks later...
A Truckster is on my to buy list. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Something always comes up. I had the $$ but I have always wanted a Gibson Explorer. Priorities. Maybe next time. If Gibson ever does do a deal with Hetfield' date=' I hope it's an Explorer or a V and not an LP. Not that I don't love LPs but who is the first guitar player you think of when you see an Explorer?[/quote']

Yeah, I think his Gibson Rusty Explorer or Rusty V would be killer signatures. I would like to see a Hetfield Les Paul signature though since he does play them alot now but a explorer or V would be awesome also and definitely something different in Gibsons lineup.

Yeah' date=' I think his Gibson Rusty Explorer or Rusty V would be killer signatures. I would like to see a Hetfield Les Paul signature though since he does play them alot now but a explorer or V would be awesome also and definitely something different in Gibsons lineup.[/quote']

There are no Signature explorers. I like LPs but they are EVRYWHERE. My vote for James Hetfield signature would be for an Explorer. But it's not up to me [thumbup]

• 2 weeks later...
There are no Signature explorers. I like LPs but they are EVRYWHERE. My vote for James Hetfield signature would be for an Explorer. But it's not up to me [biggrin]

Yeah' date=' IMO any Gibson Hetfield signature guitar would sell like crazy especially if they did a USA version that was decently priced along with a Custom Shop model that wasn't outrageous.

Look how well the 400 Gibson white '84 reissue explorers sold ("Guitar of the Week" based on Hetfields). Those things went for around $1200 new and now you will be lucky to find a used one go for less than $1700-$2000. Those weren't even Hetfield signatures, they had a ton a QC flaws on them and they still sold like hotcakes.[biggrin

IMO Gibson really doesn't know the money they are missing out on by dissing James Hetfield. He has a HUGE following and most would love to see him do something with Gibson over the ESP stuff he does now.

Yeah' date=' IMO any Gibson Hetfield signature guitar would sell like crazy especially if they did a USA version that was decently priced along with a Custom Shop model that wasn't outrageous.

Look how well the 400 Gibson white '84 reissue explorers sold ("Guitar of the Week" based on Hetfields). Those things went for around $1200 new and now you will be lucky to find a used one go for less than $1700-$2000. Those weren't even Hetfield signatures, they had a ton a QC flaws on them and they still sold like hotcakes.[cool

IMO Gibson really doesn't know the money they are missing out on by dissing James Hetfield. He has a HUGE following and most would love to see him do something with Gibson over the ESP stuff he does now.

Maybe they figure regular explorer sales are enough. I'm sure that's why the 84 reissue came w/ EMGs. They make enough "limited runs" anyway. I was disappointed to hear about the QC issues. I really wanted one but too many problems.

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe they figure regular explorer sales are enough. I'm sure that's why the 84 reissue came w/ EMGs. They make enough "limited runs" anyway. I was disappointed to hear about the QC issues. I really wanted one but too many problems.

For guitar companies, regular sales are never enough. The '84 reissue explorer came with EMG's because it was based on Hetfields old Gibson. It wasn't a signature guitar and was very poorly done but yet it still sold out quick and sells for way more now than they did new.

Look at all of the Les Paul models Gibson has yet they still come out with signature Les Pauls and limited run Les Pauls all of the time. Any James Hetfield signature Gibson would sell like crazy wether it was a LP, Explorer or Flying V as long as it was in a half way decent price range. Gibson just seems to be reluctant to listen to what their consumers want. They have been ignoring their consumers wants for years but don't seem to have a problem putting out new guitars most would never buy.

It ain't going to happen man.

Maybe not but you never know. Gibson did afterall do a Buckethead signature so anything is possible.

Over 16,000 views and climbing says alot on a forum that's not really high traffic. That should tell Gibson something right there.

A limited Hetfield signature of 400-1000 would sell in a heartbeat if it was priced in the USA Slash or Buckethead price range.

Maybe not but you never know. Gibson did afterall do a Buckethead signature so anything is possible.

Over 16' date='000 views and climbing says alot on a forum that's not really high traffic. That should tell Gibson something right there.

A limited Hetfield signature of 400-1000 would sell in a heartbeat if it was priced in the USA Slash or Buckethead price range. [/quote']

Yeah, I know I'm gonna get flack for this but they have almst saturated the market w/ Slash signatures. Once you start doing the Epi signatures, it's time to move onto someone else. Just my $.02. All of a sudden Slash has like 5 different signature models. He has not been in the spotlight for how long? Velvet Revolver was like 5 yrs ago (I never follwed them so sorry if I don't have the timing right). Gibson is not about appealling to the masses anymore. Who cares about us? I'll just give my money to ESP.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah' date=' I know I'm gonna get flack for this but they have almst saturated the market w/ Slash signatures. Once you start doing the Epi signatures, it's time to move onto someone else. Just my $.02. All of a sudden Slash has like 5 different signature models. He has not been in the spotlight for how long? Velvet Revolver was like 5 yrs ago (I never follwed them so sorry if I don't have the timing right). Gibson is not about appealling to the masses anymore. Who cares about us? I'll just give my money to ESP.[/quote']

Yeah, I like Slash but Gibson is wearing him in the ground IMO. G 'n R with Slash has been dead for a long time and Velvet Revolver has been off the map for years now also.

Maybe Gibson will see the light and realize that a Hetfield Sig. is something alot of fan would love to see. They are in the guitar business to make money afterall and it's pretty well known that Hetfield loves his Gibsons and would love to get something done with Gibson.

Here are some more RECENT live photos of James STILL USING HIS GIBSONS. Actually he plays just as many Gibsons live as he does ESP's and ESP gives him the guitars for free. For the studio/recording he mainly uses all Gibsons. Hetfield is a HUGE Gibson fan.

GibsonJamesHetfieldFlyingVburst2.jpg

GibsonJamesHetfieldsilverburstexplo.jpg

GibsonJamesHetfieldwornLesPaul.jpg

If you have the Death Magnetic box set, the DVD shows James playing a brand new LP custom w/ the pin stripe and Iron Cross. The guitar still had tags hanging from it while he was playing it. Check out making of "All Nightmare Long." Don't know if he got it like that from the factory or added the stripe and cross before taking off the tags. Either way a fresh Gibson "Iron Cross" looks pretty dang sweet. I'd do it to an Epi...I would not have the heart to do it to a real Gibson.

If you have the Death Magnetic box set' date=' the DVD shows James playing a brand new LP custom w/ the pin stripe and Iron Cross. The guitar still had tags hanging from it while he was playing it. Check out making of "All Nightmare Long." Don't know if he got it like that from the factory or added the stripe and cross before taking off the tags. Either way a fresh Gibson "Iron Cross" looks pretty dang sweet. I'd do it to an Epi...I would not have the heart to do it to a real Gibson.[/quote']

Yeah, I have seen that before. The Gibson Hetfield "Iron Cross" was definitely in the works with Gibson but the rumor is that Gibson was being difficult and not wanting to make the guitar like James wanted it done and continued to stall and waste time. James finally got impatient and ESP ended up doing it. Very badly IMO. It sucks that Gibson couldn't just GET IT DONE and quit wasting time and being difficult.

Here are some more pictures of some of James's Gibsons.

Here are some of his original Gibson Les Paul bursts. From left to right it's a 1958,1959,1960,1959

The car is his 1953 Buick Skylark "Skyscraper"

GibsonJamesHetfieldLesPaulswithcar.jpg

Here is some of his Gibson Flying V collection

From top left it's a white 1980, natural 1975, black '58 reissue 1983, cherry red 1967, natural 1978, black 1975.

From bottom left it's a white circa 1982 Korina, natural 1975, cherry 1982.

GibsonJamesHetfieldFlyingVcollectio.jpg

James Hetfield with his Cherry 1982 Gibson Flying V

GibsonJamesHetfieldFlyingVred.jpg

Yeah' date=' I have seen that before. The Gibson Hetfield "Iron Cross" was definitely in the works with Gibson but the rumor is that Gibson was being difficult and not wanting to make the guitar like James wanted it done and continued to stall and waste time. James finally got impatient and ESP ended up doing it. Very badly IMO. It sucks that Gibson couldn't just GET IT DONE and quit wasting time and being difficult.

[/quote']

Assuming that rumor is true, that would feel like a slap in the face to me. Gibson makes all these other replicas and "inspired by" but they can't make a f-ing guitar for JAMES HETFIELD??!! Did he ask for no robot electronics and that hurt their feelings? That's bull crap but who am I kidding. IF Gibson ever makes one it will be limited run and I could never afford it anyway. C'est la vive

Assuming that rumor is true' date=' that would feel like a slap in the face to me. Gibson makes all these other replicas and "inspired by" but they can't make a f-ing guitar for JAMES HETFIELD??!! Did he ask for no robot electronics and that hurt their feelings? That's bull crap but who am I kidding. IF Gibson ever makes one it will be limited run and I could never afford it anyway. C'est la vive

[/quote']

I agree. I think it's just a misunderstanding but the Iron Cross could have easily been a Gibson if Gibson would have worked more on making it happen. IMO both would like to see something happen. James definitely wants a Gibson sig. and Gibson would profit highly by doing so. IMO his Gibson "Rusty" explorer or one of his Gibson Les Pauls would be a killer signature guitar.

If Gibson and Hetfield can get together and keep the guitar in the price range of the Slash models it would sell out QUICKLY. No doubt the demand is there. I guess it just comes down to is Gibson in business to give their consumers what they want and make money or are they in business to continue to put out limited gimmick guitars that no one wants like they have been doing of late.

GibsonJamesHetfieldflyingv2.jpg

If Gibson and Hetfield can get together and keep the guitar in the price range of the Slash models it would sell out QUICKLY. No doubt the demand is there. I guess it just comes down to is Gibson in business to give their consumers what they want and make money or are they in business to continue to put out limited gimmick guitars that no one wants like they have been doing of late.

It's all about what Henry J. wants and feeding his ego. :D

FYI...almost done turning my explorer into something Hetfield can use. I need to rewire the neck pick up. I did something wrong. It buzzes pretty bad and the volume pot isn't working. :-

I'll post a pic later but I started with a black Gibson explorer of course. EMG 81/60, Black Sperzels, Aluminum diamond plate PG, chrome dome knobs, and chrome pick up rings, black Schaller strap locks (relocated upper strap button like 84 explorer). The 81 sounds great (as does the 60 when on high gain). I just gotta fix the wiring in the 60.

Archived