Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jlb32

Gibson James Hetfield Signature

It's all about what Henry J. wants and feeding his ego. :-({|=

FYI...almost done turning my explorer into something Hetfield can use. I need to rewire the neck pick up. I did something wrong. It buzzes pretty bad and the volume pot isn't working. #-o

I'll post a pic later but I started with a black Gibson explorer of course. EMG 81/60' date=' Black Sperzels, Aluminum diamond plate PG, chrome dome knobs, and chrome pick up rings, black Schaller strap locks (relocated upper strap button like 84 explorer). The 81 sounds great (as does the 60 when on high gain). I just gotta fix the wiring in the 60.[/quote']

Yeah, Henry needs a reality check. If he thinks Hetfield wouldn't make Gibson a ton of money and be great for the company then he has completely lost it. From what I have heard he lost it years ago anyway. Maybe it's time to let someone else control the reigns at Gibson for a while.

The Gibson explorer sounds cool. Definitely post some pics when you get a chance. I've owned a few before and really liked them. I need to get another sometime. Maybe a Hetfield Gibson explorer if it ever happens.[confused] I do think this Les Paul with maybe a few tweaks would be a killer Hetfield signature.

GibsonJamesHetfieldpurpleLesPaulCus.jpg

Yeah' date=' Henry needs a reality check. If he thinks Hetfield wouldn't make Gibson a ton of money and be great for the company then he has completely lost it. From what I have heard he lost it years ago anyway. Maybe it's time to let someone else control the reigns at Gibson for a while.

[/quote']

Maybe Henry is not a Metallica fan.

Maybe Henry is not a Metallica fan.

I sure Henry probably isn't a big fan of alot of artists music that have Gibson Signature guitars. IMO it shouldn't be all about what Henry himself is a fan of. It should be about the fans/customers that love Gibson guitars.

Heading towards 23' date='000 views in a section that isn't very high traffic should definitely tell Gibson something about the intrest in Hetfield.

[img']http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/joe32/GibsonJamesHetfieldLesPaulheadstock.jpg[/img]

My local Sam Ash has a black and a white EPi "84" reissue. I'm tempted to pick em up but I can't get over those rounded points and the fact that I already own a Gibson Explorer modded to be like one in Hetfield's arsenal.

THAT is the sig model I would want!!

I agree. Now that the Iron Cross has alrady been done by ESP and James is more known for his explorers anyway a Gibson Hetfield Explorer signature would be awesome. "Rusty" would be the best choice also IMO.

I agree. Now that the Iron Cross has alrady been done by ESP and James is more known for his explorers anyway a Gibson Hetfield Explorer signature would be awesome. "Rusty" would be the best choice also IMO.

And super easy to produce. No major mods to explorers already in production. Only bigger hole for the 3 way toggle. I'd buy that in a second if it was a reasonable price. I'm sure IF it ever happened it would limited to less than 400 pieces and I would never have to chance to buy one.

And super easy to produce. No major mods to explorers already in production. Only bigger hole for the 3 way toggle. I'd buy that in a second if it was a reasonable price. I'm sure IF it ever happened it would limited to less than 400 pieces and I would never have to chance to buy one.

If they would ever get a deal and make one I'm sure it would sell out fast but if you reserved one early you shouldn't have a problem.

Now that Metallica is on hiatus and done with their Death Magnetic tour I wonder if Gibson will get busy and try to get something done or maybe they will just continue to put out signature guitars from players that rarely even play Gibsons and no one really cares about.

ESP will not stand in the way of Hetfield and Gibson doing a Signature guitar together if Gibson is willing to be flexible. James is not going to play only Gibsons and he's not going to accept a signature guitar that doesn't meet his approval. I personally don't see the problem. Gibson is in the business to make guitars and money. Hetfield wants a Gibson signature and there is no doubt that it would be a HUGE seller.

If they would ever get a deal and make one I'm sure it would sell out fast but if you reserved one early you shouldn't have a problem.

Now that Metallica is on hiatus and done with their Death Magnetic tour I wonder if Gibson will get busy and try to get something done or maybe they will just continue to put out signature guitars from players that rarely even play Gibsons and no one really cares about.

ESP will not stand in the way of Hetfield and Gibson doing a Signature guitar together if Gibson is willing to be flexible. James is not going to play only Gibsons and he's not going to accept a signature guitar that doesn't meet his approval. I personally don't see the problem. Gibson is in the business to make guitars and money. Hetfield wants a Gibson signature and there is no doubt that it would be a HUGE seller.

This thread has been mostly you and me going back and forth. Maybe Gibson will see it and make 3. 1 for you, 1 for me and 1 for Papa Het. [lol]

This thread has been mostly you and me going back and forth. Maybe Gibson will see it and make 3. 1 for you, 1 for me and 1 for Papa Het. [lol]

That would be nice of Gibson to do for us 3. [biggrin]

It has been me and you alot posting in this thread but what I find majorly interesting is the over 34,000 views. IMO that shows alot of people are interested. It's just most don't post.

I do the same thing. I look and read alot of posts that I am interested in and wish Gibson would do but usually don't post in those threads. Of course this is a thread that I started.

That would be nice of Gibson to do for us 3. [biggrin]

It has been me and you alot posting in this thread but what I find majorly interesting is the over 34,000 views. IMO that shows alot of people are interested. It's just most don't post.

I do the same thing. I look and read alot of posts that I am interested in and wish Gibson would do but usually don't post in those threads. Of course this is a thread that I started.

I'll pass along a message to James Hetfield to read into this. Friend has a friend with connections to the band...

I'll pass along a message to James Hetfield to read into this. Friend has a friend with connections to the band...

I don't think it's Hetfield that needs to read into this. To bad you don't have a friend that has a friend with connections in Gibsons upper management. They seem to be the ones that are clueless. [biggrin]

I don't think it's Hetfield that needs to read into this. To bad you don't have a friend that has a friend with connections in Gibsons upper management. They seem to be the ones that are clueless. [biggrin]

Maybe they think regular explorer sales are enough. :unsure: Shoot, I bought one and modded it to be James Hetfield-worthy. I plan on buying another unless a Het sig comes out before then.

Gonna be bidding on an ESP Explorer on ebay....auction ends on Saturday....keeping my fingers crossed [-o< Gonna have to sell some stuff (an LTD, Jackson, Crate amp, one of my keyboards) to offset the cost but if I win, it will be worth it.

Change of plans.....I bought an ESP style explorer (not EX) style body off ebay today. Will be shipped tomorrow from Tennessee. As soon as it arrives next week, I'm going to order a Ken Lawrence style neck from Warmoth and eventually have my own KL replica! [biggrin]

I don't know what color it will be yet. Stained blood red or black.

Change of plans.....I bought an ESP style explorer (not EX) style body off ebay today. Will be shipped tomorrow from Tennessee. As soon as it arrives next week, I'm going to order a Ken Lawrence style neck from Warmoth and eventually have my own KL replica! [biggrin]

I don't know what color it will be yet. Stained blood red or black.

Congrats. Once you get it done I'm sure you will love it. I had my ESP explorer diamond plated years ago like James's JH-2.

ESPexplorer003.jpg

ESPexplorer004.jpg

Oooooo...bell TRC! Nice. Anyhoo...if you get a chance, i'll be posting regular updates on the progress in the Gibson Lounge....the thread is called (soon to be) NPD...new project day....you can weigh in on the finish.

Oooooo...bell TRC! Nice. Anyhoo...if you get a chance, i'll be posting regular updates on the progress in the Gibson Lounge....the thread is called (soon to be) NPD...new project day....you can weigh in on the finish.

Sounds cool. I will try to check it out if I can find the thread.

Maybe one day we will get a official Gibson Hetfield instead of having to make our own. [thumbup]

So far.....long way to go

kl001.jpg

Looks good. [thumbup] The figuring in the body is nice also. I personally would probably leave it as a natural finish and just stain and clear it.

I'm gonna do a blood red stain so the figuring shows. This Saturday I'm getting an EMG 81/60 set I saw on craigslist and then meeting with a local luthier on Sunday to do start the finish on the body and neck. For Christmas I asked for nothing but gift certificates to either Sam Ash or Guitar Center so I can buy the rest of the parts.