Gibson Brands Forums

Which One: Les Paul Traditional OR SG 61 ReIssue???

GibsonBlues1959

You can't go wrong with either one.

I've played both and what can I say... they were Sweet.

Best way to know is play'em and see which one calls to you most.

Two totally different guitars.

IMO - you are better off buying both and just put an end to the question once and for all. :D

Traditional.

You can always get the SG 61 later if the desire still burns within you.

Not many people start out with an SG that don't long for a Les Paul later.

Both great guitars' date=' but if it's a Gibson you gotta have a Les Paul.

[/quote']

+1 LP all the way...

I have to agree with the above... I own a SG Standard and a few guitars later I ended up with 3 LPs! I have 2 now.

I have thought about both of the guitars you have mentioned but have never went for it. I played a 61 SG at GC that was beat up by other customers, strings were horrible and old, I can't blame Gibson for that though. That guitar will never sell for what they want for it... off topic but the "demo" guitars that EVERYONE plays should be sold "used"

I'll go the other way' date=' I much prefer my 61 RI to my LP although the LP is not a Traditional. Lighter weight, nicer neck, it just feels a lot better. I play the SG everyday - the LP gets pulled out maybe once a week. However, I'd say to go play both and then pick the one that feels best to you.[/quote']

Yes, I am going to have to play both to make a decision. I appreciate all the input.

thanks from Austin, TX.

It seems that neither one moves you more than the other, or you wouldn't be asking. nevertheless, consider that the Traditional might not be available for much longer. The way I see it Gibson includes the Traditional in the marketing lineup for those of us who aren't exactly comfortable with the changes of the new Standard, and it might just be a transitional thing rather than an alternate offering in their permanent lineup. So it might be a good bet to get a Trad now while you still can (unless you go for a used Historic instead - ok there, I said it). And believe me, you can't go wrong with a Trad.

Both really great guitars. But as said above, I would play on good examples of both and see which feels best to you. Physically there are a lot of differences which add to how the guitars play. E.g. the SGs access to the higher frets and the LPs shall we say, less access.

But you can't do wrong with either IMO. I have had my SG for 15 years+ now and I would never consider sellling it. I also love the Traditionals...I own two of them and I am still gassing for one with a gold top!

Traditional.

You can always get the SG 61 later if the desire still burns within you.

Not many people start out with an SG that don't long for a Les Paul later.

Both great guitars' date=' but if it's a Gibson you gotta have a Les Paul.

[/quote']

Never thought I'd admit it as I love my SG, but, yes,my next guitar will be a Les Paul.It is going to be my next acquisition.It may be a little while(I have just left my wife due her drinking problem),and when the dust settles financially I will actually be in a position to get one- which would never have been a possibility when together.-Oh to be able to travel back in time eh?!

IMO - you are better off buying both and just put an end to the question once and for all. #-o

I know this was meant to be a joke but it's so true...

I have to agree with the above... I own a SG Standard and a few guitars later I ended up with 3 LPs!

I started with an SG Special, now I have 8 Les Pauls!! lol

Archived