Gibson Brands Forums

need advice.

bigfatblood

I've only just been in the market for a new acoustic for a few days. I've decided to go Gibson over Martin. I'm an absolute novice when it comes to acoustics.

There are two I'm tossing up between...

2006 Gibson LG 1 re-issue, 1 of 20 made, with pickup. Roughly $1700

and

New, scratch n Dent (dont care) Gibson J 45. $2300

I've played the J 45 and it sounds heavenly. Prefer the look and smaller body of the LG 1 though. Has anyone played an LG 1??? This is a 2006 re-issue, and i'll be getting it from the states (live in Australia) so won't get to play it before I buy.

Is the LG 1 a noticably inferior guitar? I am aware that it was initially Gibson's "budget" guitar. Will it compare to the J 45?

I wish I could try out one of the new LG1's to see how it compares to my 1964 LG1. I am assuming if they stayed true to the original, it is a ladder braced guitar like mine. The tone of a ladder braced vs. X braced guitar is quite different. It is more of a boxy muted tone that is perfect for blues fingerstyle, 60's folk music, several Beatles tunes and it shines in DADGAD tuning as well for Celtic type music.

That said, if I were given the choice of a LG1 or a J45 sight unseen, I would most likely grab the J45 as it is a more versitle guitar overall for strumming and fingerstyle. I have my Taylor and my Gibson AJ for when I prefer a more modern sound with sustain, overtones and such but I really love my LG1 and many times is the one I grab when I am just sitting down to noodle on a guitar due to the comfortable size, quite tone and ease of playability. Played through my Genz Benz amp, it is even more fun for blues licks and jamming with my Ipod.

I can't give you an exact comparison but I have a few observations based on what I have owned.

I have an LG-2 with a red spruce top- it has great tone and can cut through ...some, but it isn't a big body guitar and will not ever have the power of one.

J-45- you should be able to get one for $2k with no scratches or dents- Fullers has plenty.

A J-45 is more guitar, bigger, louder, more money. If you are going to play in a group at all I'd go that way.

The LG-1 will be nice on the porch or in the parlor, or in front of a mic as long as it doesn't have to compete.

I can't give you an exact comparison but I have a few observations based on what I have owned.

I have an LG-2 with a red spruce top- it has great tone and can cut through ...some, but it isn't a big body guitar and will not ever have the power of one.

J-45- you should be able to get one for $2k with no scratches or dents- Fullers has plenty.

A J-45 is more guitar, bigger, louder, more money. If you are going to play in a group at all I'd go that way.

The LG-1 will be nice on the porch or in the parlor, or in front of a mic as long as it doesn't have to compete.

yeah i guess the j 45 is the way to go.

I WISH i could play the LG 1 re-issue though.

http://www.laguitarsales.com/pages/3735/Gibson_LG1_Reissue.htm

pretty sexy hey?

I do need to play it live over another (distorted) electric guitar, a bass and drum kit, so maybe its a no go.

if anyone has some decent places to shop for gibson acoustics in L.A or New York please let me know.

I'm heading over in November.

I've only just been in the market for a new acoustic for a few days. I've decided to go Gibson over Martin. I'm an absolute novice when it comes to acoustics.

My advice: don't make a decision based on brand names. Play a bunch of them and buy the one that grabs you -- regardless of the name on the headstock.

That being said, the J45 is much more versatile of a guitar than the LG-1.

Kebob says - "My advice: don't make a decision based on brand names. Play a bunch of them and buy the one that grabs you -- regardless of the name on the headstock."

Thats great advice - something I have never been able to follow!! But, its not all gold cos it says Matin or Gibson. There are many other great choices. Having said that, I am very partial to the J-45. It is a very versatile guitar. If you are ordeding from the US, which is a good idea, look at elderly.com, buffalo bros, and for Gibson, very definately Sweetwater or Fullers guitars. Thet will fill you with envy!

Archived