Gibson Brands Forums

How many of you use finger picks??????

onewilyfool

I've been playing more and more with finger picks. A thumb pick and these plastic picks that fit over the finger and under the real finger nail, called "Alaska picks". They are also available in metal, which I think I will try also, for a stronger sound. I just got tired of having nails break, and it takes a while to get used to, but now I'm very comfortable playing with them. The "pad " of the finger is exposed and I can still get a "feel" for the guitar. They do enhance the sound of the strings, which is good, BUT also any mistakes....lol....I was just wondering how many out there use them, or other styles of finger picks and thumb picks.

http://www.alaskapik.com/

Anyone try these????

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/PK47SP-L.htm

I don't use fingerpicks much, but at one point I tried a bunch of different kinds and decided the Propicks were the best for me. My problem with fingerpicks is that I use 3 fingers when picking and if I have fingerpicks on it seems hard to get the right angle on the ring finger for good tone, plus it knocks against the guitar a lot. I suppose if I used them more I'd get used to it. Also the thumbpick makes the bass so loud, then you have to learn to mute, why not just use the bare thumb in the first place for the same effect!!!:D/

I use Dunlop brass .0225 gauge (http://elderly.com/accessories/items/PK8B-225.htm). I've used metal fingerpicks since I started playing back around 1964 or so. I saw a picture of Fred MacDowell's hands on a record cover and figured if he used them, so would I. Now they are simply second nature to me.

I used to use the silver-colored metal picks, but i like the brass because I can play without the metallic sound. I guess the brass is softer or at least is quieter on impact with the string. I never liked plastic finger picks, although use a plastic thumb pick.

Occasionally, i will play with bare fingers late at night. I also take the picks off for the rare Thumb-pluck-pluck type tune.

I've used metal finger/thumb picks for many years. I like the sound they produce (kind of a quicker attack) and the louder volume. Sometimes, when it's quite, i just go at it with my bare fingers and that gives me more control over the volume and attack. There's things to like about both ways.

I use a thumbpick and a single fingerpick on my index finger. I tried for years to play 'fingerstyle' w/ bare thumb/finger(s) w/o success. I finally was determined to overcome this problem and endeavor to use picks. I'm glad I did, results have been fantastic. Depending on the style of music and song I resort to a flatpick as needed. But for the ragtime/blues/gospel stuff that I enjoy playing there is no substitute for thumb/finger picks.

I broke my nail......and I've been using these pics for a week now.....I'm pretty used to them....I have the plastic ALsaka pics....and I'm thinking of getting the metal ones for a more steel string sound.....will report back when I can find the....not everyone carries them....

How do the propiks sound? Do you play boom buck style with your palm rested on the bridge? The reason I ask is I'm curious to see how they sound in that position because with regular fingerpicks, you're attacking at too much of an angle so it is like plucking with the side of a pick. With bare fingernails, it is easy to get caught underneath the string buecase you don't have a very large sweet spot. With real fingernails, it is first off hard to get theme shaped right for that hand position, and second, hard (or should I say impossible) to keep them from getting chewed up on steel strings. Thoughts?

How do the propiks sound? Do you play boom buck style with your palm rested on the bridge? The reason I ask is I'm curious to see how they sound in that position because with regular fingerpicks' date=' you're attacking at too much of an angle so it is like plucking with the side of a pick. With bare fingernails, it is easy to get caught underneath the string buecase you don't have a very large sweet spot. With real fingernails, it is first off hard to get theme shaped right for that hand position, and second, hard (or should I say impossible) to keep them from getting chewed up on steel strings. Thoughts?[/quote']

Those Propiks with finger pad exposed are pretty good......HOWEVER.....they are only really good strumming up ......if you like to strum down with the playing fingers.....these are not the best....The alsakan's work both ways....actually sound pretty good with the back of the "nail" strumming down. I'm thinking of getting the brass version of these Alsaka piks for a more "metal " sound on the finger picking....will let you know how that works when I get them....

When I was trying to finger pick I think I bought $50.00 worth of finger picks. I liked the Alaska's the best. I did find that since the leading edge of my nail beds were not perfectly matched to the machine perfect, pick/nail bed interfacec I had to use a diamond nail file to contour each pick to custom fit to each finger. Then it was just a matter of marking each pick with the letter of the finger onto which it belonged. i, m, a.

Always the tinkerer, I also modified the business end of the picks to suit my preference.

I haven't had them out in a couple years. I've often thought too, that I could make my own from PVC water pipe.... which could be how the boys at alaska picks got their start. :-$

I've never had a problem with fingerpicks coming off. I keep them pretty tight and just a little pick exposed above the finger. In fact, if I let my nails get a bit long the nails will interfere with the picks.

Do your picks come off during an upstroke or a downstroke? I don't think I use the picks on a downstroke. I think I use the nails on my two bare fingers, but I'll have to check next time I play as it is all pretty automatic for me after many years.

TommyK...thanks for those hints.....I find that if I hit the strings hard with these pics' date=' that they sometimes come off!!! One guy on another forum claimes he uses bandaids to stick the backs to this finger so they don't fall off??? I will experiment with that and let you know....[/quote']

These are made of a flexible plastic and are "C" shaped and wrap around the fingers. Strumming down would necessarily tend to pull the pics off as the 'C' shape opens up. If you shred that hard, then I'd suggest you put a bandaid around the entire pick to secure things. Probably better, and cheaper, to use a bandaging tape and make a couple rounds around each pick.

6string......With the Alaska pics, when I strike hard on the up stroke.....I can sometimes pull them off from under my real nail......

I've never had a problem with fingerpicks coming off. I keep them pretty tight and just a little pick exposed above the finger. In fact' date=' if I let my nails get a bit long the nails will interfere with the picks.

Do your picks come off during an upstroke or a downstroke? I don't think I use the picks on a downstroke. I think I use the nails on my two bare fingers, but I'll have to check next time I play as it is all pretty automatic for me after many years.[/quote']

I took a look at the Alaskas, and I can see that they would be very different than the ones I use. I was also surprised to see how many varieties of fingerpicks there are. I hadn't really looked in a long time because I'm satisfied with what I use. I wonder what the stainless steel picks sound like.

Since moving from bare fingers to picks (or vice versa) would require some change in technique, it is possible you would eventually stop having the pull off issue. You might subtly change your angle of attack so that you didn't catch them. These kinds of changes can be almost subconscious, it seems.

I think Gretchen 'nailed' it. Finger picks are almost impossible to get to adapt to the feel of your finger (so you don't feel like you even have them stuck on there) and to still perfectly attack the strings as well as you can learn to with your own finger. Some pickers get their nails lengthened / strengthened at a nail salon. I personally think any finger pick is an intrusion. No offense intended.

Fortyyears.....I agree with you, they are in intrusion.....but one thing they do is give a different sound to the guitar, which I like. There is this guy on Youtube, Deltabluestips......he actually files his fingers to create callouses and his approach sounds good......Robert Johnson used to use a thumb pick, but I can't imagine those old blues guys using finger picks....lol......that being said....I saw Keb mo on youtube and HE uses finger picks....so who knows.....after a lot of hours of playing, even if I don't break a nail, they get 'filed' down by the strings.....so, I will keep playing with them picks and see what happens, so far, I can go from the Pro Piks, to the Alaska picks, to my own fingers pretty easily, and I'm discovering many different sounds with the plastic, steel and such....so fun to experiment......I will keep you posted......

OWF, You're right, no doubt. I probably should have stuck at it longer. Back when I tried finger picks there were only three kinds and they all were lame. A clear plastic 'dobro' which was at a 45 degree angle, metal ones that were a good angle, but too restrictive feeling , and platic 'tortoise' picks which wouldn't stay on. Even for the banjo - I could never get comfortable enough to hit the right string more than occassionally =D>. There's more better choices now through the internet. Maybe I'll give it a go again. Tnx

I use a clear plastic Dunlop (the pointy one) thumbpick and three Dunlop metal finger picks (.20-.25 thickness range). Frankly, my playing decreases by about 70% if I don't use them as I've become dependent on them over the years and now my hand seems to require the picking angle that the fingerpicks put me on when playing. I get a good clear bright sound out using 'em and can control a loud or soft or inbetween volume on the guitar with them.

QM

Archived