Gibson Brands Forums

Surely some mistake - ebay listing...

rcadian

As I am on the lookout for a 1968 guitar (my birth year), I have an ebay alert set up and this listing popped up today...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170386245291&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

But doing some research on the number of digits in the serial number and some googling which suggests the J30 was only introduced in 1985, I presume the seller is mistaken...

But I didn't want to tell him as much without checking with the experts on this forum, given that I am not one of them and may be mistaken...

Can anyone confirm my opinion or tell me that actually the seller is right?

Rc

Reported it for wrong info. Anyone else wana help?

I happily will, and will send the poster a comment through ebay... Can't know if it was a genuine mistake or a deliberate falsehood. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as who would post a serial number for anyone to check if they wanted to hide the fact it was a '95. But it certainly shows a lack of due diligence on the part of the seller...

Thanks for confirming what I thought...

8.45pm Eastern EDIT...seller has ended listing and re-listed it, correctly, as a 1995 J-30...

Rc

I see your trouble. Your wound strings need to be circled in the clockwise direction and the monofilaments in a counter-clockwise direction.

Thanks...

I shoulda' realized..#-o #-o .. Last time I spun them half clockwise-half counter clockwise all I got was static..#-o #-o

I stopped "nipping" the strings on that guitar about 20 years ago.. I dropped the "nipper" ONCE (came close' date='scared0011.gif but no contact relieved.gif)..

Archived