Gibson Brands Forums

Reinstalling covers

Blackie

I know there is a pickup section but it takes days for anyone to respond

move this after I get a couple replies.

I am thinking of reinstalling some metal covers, I desoldered them and can redo that

but I want to know what I should do about the wax, can I just melt some in there

or what ?

I dunno....

:-)

I suppose there needs to be something in there to prevent squealing or buzzing.

I've often wondered if you could just use silicone to stick the covers back on.

Shouldn't take much.

I have no empirical data to suggest it would work, just wondering....

AFter soldering the cover to the pickup... take:

1. 80% paraffin/20% bees wax mix

2. Put them in a coffee can, set it in a pot of boiling water (double boiler, in other words)

3. Stick a thermometer in , wait til it melts completely

4. Once it melts, maintain a constant 150 degrees

5. tie the pickup lead to something long and thin that will span the length of the coffee can to prevent the lead from falling in

6. Completely submerge the pickup in the hot wax. Let it soak for 15 min

7. remove it and let it dry on a paper towel, with the pole pieces facing up

8. while its drying, when it has cooled enough to touch, wipe off some of the liquid wax from the top of the pickup.

That's it. Some people stick it back in after it dries for a second time, depends on your tastes.

I added covers to the pickups on my Explorer, soldered them with a 40w iron, melted parafin and bees wax and submerged the pickups, shook them well while in the wax, then I pulled them out and put the pickups in a bag and vaccuum sealed them with my Foodsaver.

The pickups are pretty solid, no bad feedback even using a Metal Zone. Any overtone from the hollowness in the cover cavity has dissapeared, which, in this partucluar guitar is good.

I am thinking of reinstalling some metal covers' date=' I desoldered them and can redo that

but I want to know what I should do about the wax, can I just melt some in there

or what ?[/quote']

You do not need to re-wax the pups. If all you did was remove the cover then all the wax is still there. More than likely you have some black tape around the actual windings and underneath the tape is the wax.

Again, if all you did was de-solder the covers then just re-solder them.

Archived