Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Trad standard

Optomisma

Hi..(finally got back on forum after logging in fiasco)Right ..I got Delivery of My new trad standard the thing is initially i was not impressed!!Firstly the action was way too high ,I adjusted then got buzz on the G and B string on the 21st fret not good on a Plekd guitar,I stoned the fret and cured the problem,my question is should the stop bar be down to the body or left 3/8" off the body as this one is?all my previous similar type guitars had the stop bar bolted as low as possible.....the good news is that at this moment the guitar is sounding fantastic...cheers...ta ta for now,,,,,

You haven't mentioned if all your other guitars have ABR-1 bridges or Nashville bridges. The Traditional (I'm assuming that by "trad standard" you meant Traditional, the whole point being that it is not the newly revised "Standard") has a Nashville bridge. The up-side of that design is greater travel for the saddles (since the body of the bridge is wider) and less chance of rattling (since there's no retaining wire and the saddles have springs holding them from underneath). However the drawback with the wider bridge body is that you can only go so far down with the tailpiece before the strings start to hit the back of the bridge, which you basically want to avoid since it theoretically gives a second coupling point and in any event Gibson recommends against it in the owners manual.

An option might be to try screwing the tailpiece all the way down, but then restring with the strings top-wrapped over the tailpiece so they're not at such a drastic down-angle over the saddles. Works for the Rev. Willy G, so it's hard to argue against it. There should be plenty of threads on "tailpiece height" and "top-wrapping" if you do a search.

Oh, and congrats on the new axe. Can't go wrong with a trad.

Archived