Gibson Brands Forums

Emails & tracking somebody

Tim Plains

A question to you computer folks, out there.

I was watching a show about the Craiglist Killer - a guy who found woman via Craigslist & assaulted them, killing one.

It got me thinking - the police were able to find out his home address through emails he sent these women. Can anybody do that, or just the cops?

Say I send an email to a guy who's more computer literate than I. Can he find out where I live?

Yes Tim, I can.

:-)

Okay, seriously....

You're in luck where I'm concerned - I know d!ck about computers anyway.

Forensics?

Forget it.

I saw one case where they nailed the guy thru a MapQuest search he did.

They somehow knew he was using MapQuest in a previous case they were investigating.

He agreed to meet (undercover cops) in a remote area not far from where he had dumped a body previously.

When the web service detected a search in that area they immediately determined it was his IP address.

Drove to his house and busted him with the map he had just printed.

If you are using e-mail thru a service provider that has your info then authorities can obtain warrants for

that info. Someone at home behind there own machine with advanced systems knowledge yes, ordinary

morons no. ..............oh and by the way your new amp sounds nice and your out of milk

There are a couple of ways to do that thru IP addresses (and possibly the MAC address) depending on the account used and the equipment.

For example, every leased router from you local cable or phone company has a static IP address (its ID). The companies have that information about the equipment and who has it, and where it is located. Email can be tracked via logs to an IP so that is one way it can be done. You would have to have access to the IP's and their assigned people and accounts.

If the guy was smart he'd have used a portable computer and accesed the web only thru hotspots, using random public email accounts, and vary his location, moving target. But, it could still be tracked to the various hotspots, but not to him directly.

Sick huh!!

E-mails are as private as a postcard...anyone with access to the servers can read anything thats sent through them, and everything leaves a trail.

Even if you delete them from your computer they are stored as magnectic data and can be retrieved with the proper software.

Wanna find out something?....Find a buddy at Cisco systems and have some cash.

I hope you have an alarm system Tim or/and a gun.

Or you can just photoshop your guitars to look ugly, post'em in the forums and avoid anybody looking you up.

You can go like: Hey guys I added EMGs and stickers to my R9, what do you guys think? next I am installing a Kalher.

A question to you computer folks' date=' out there.

I was watching a show about the Craiglist Killer - a guy who found woman via Craigslist & assaulted them, killing one.

It got me thinking - the police were able to find out his home address through emails he sent these women. Can anybody do that, or just the cops?

Say I send an email to a guy who's more computer literate than I. Can he find out where I live?[/quote']

Why what'd ya do? Just asking.

So this guy breaks into a woman's house this past week.

He totally burgs the place and before he leaves he logs on to his facebook account.

She comes home finds that her house was broken into and her jewelry and other items are missing.

After calling the authorities she gets ready to log onto her facebook account and realizes that it's not her account on the log in page.

It was the thief's! The found him and arrested him within hours of the burglary. What a dip-wadd.

He has a line on a R9 thats only $250.00 without a case and the seller promises that "It is very real and true getar' date=' trust us we have nothing but rel gibson getar."[/i']

what!!!!

bunch of bull ____(well you know)

rel gibson getar

wow

So this guy breaks into a woman's house this past week.

He totally burgs the place and before he leaves he logs on to his facebook account.

She comes home finds that her house was broken into and her jewelry and other items are missing.

After calling the authorities she gets ready to log onto her facebook account and realizes that it's not her account on the log in page.

It was the thief's! The found him and arrested him within hours of the burglary. What a dip-wadd.

=D>

Bwahahahahhaaha.

This is the "Technology Smart" generation.......

Can you get banned for murder?

I didn't see that in the rules......

Amusing anecdote;

During a brutal 2 year divorce war, I was ordered by the court to pay $1,700 a month and carry $1,000 worth of insurance on the woman who robbed me blind to the tune of about $400,000.

Told my attorney I wasn't gonna pay her a f-ing dime, she already had all my money.

My credit was destroyed and I had NO JOB!!!!

I was selling off tools, guitars and guns just to eat.

Lawyer sez "You gotta pay or they'll throw you in jail."

Told him "Well, I can't pay sh!t from jail now, can I? What difference does it make to ME?"

At this point I didn't care, that b!tch would never see a penny from me.

My attorney told me

"Look, you might get away with murder - happens all the time - but you CANNOT escape child support."

There was a brief silence while we both mulled over what he had just said.

When he realized I heard something he really didn't mean to say, he suddenly said

"Wait! No! That's not what I mean!!!"

He explained that a good defense attorney can get murder cases thrown out, but child support is simply an order.

There's no hearing, it's automatic until a court rules otherwise.

I suggested he get that hearing scheduled before Plan B was implemented...

Worked like a charm.

True story.

:-)

Yes They Can Tim and if you Are Sent an Email and you Open it up.

Its Kinda Like Someones a Knocking at Your Front Door and you

Open-it up and Let Them in.

Because once an Email is Sent and you open it. Your Fuxked.

Many, Many Things Can Happen From your Computor Crashing

to the Real Kool Stuff like Sending a "My Doom Virus" or a "Keystroke Logger"

Those once sent and opened hook on to a port inside your Computor and allow one to View

your Computor remotely, Keystoke for Keystroke and Access everything inside your Computor

and even Access your Built in Web Cam :-s

Got your Computor in your Bedroom and Want to open an Email From Someone you Don't Know.

You'll be Letting Someone in Their Too and if you Have a Web-Cam They Could Tape Things

and it Could End up on You-Tube while they become you and Empty your Bank Accounts or they can Type things

and Send Emails From your Computor to Anyone Else

Cool, thanks guys.

I get tons of random emails from guys at My Les Paul, guys who's user names I don't recognize; so, I was just wondering.

I hope you have an alarm system Tim or/and a gun.

Both but up here in Canada, we don't need guns. Well, unless you live in Scarborough...

The thing is, a good anti-virus program and firewall installed on your computer will catch a lot of malicious software but you have to keep those programs updated.

Bad people are always trying to work around those anti-virus programs and firewalls which causes them to update their product. It's a cat and mouse game. Also sometimes the less popular anti-virus programs are better because there are a LOT less hackers trying to break them. Often times hackers are trying to just take down or work around or break into and find back doors in popular programs ~ bragging rights. This is why Microsoft is one of if not THE most attacked company in the world.

On the other hand, MAC users feel safe and that in part is because they are a smaller company so less people are trying to hack their systems; it also has to do with the fact that their operating system is a little more secure.

Bottom line: Make sure you have a good anti-virus program and firewall, keep them updated, and check weekly for viruses.

I think all divorces are painful' date=' mine was no worse or better than many others I am sure.

I feel quite blessed that I get on very well with my ex now and her new partner, we didn't have any kids i'm sure that made it easier, now that I have my own Kids I can only imagine how much harder that must make the whole process.

What i do know is that over here the lawyers wind both sides up I'd say for their own selfish reasons I had to sack one firm of lawyers and appoint another firm to sign the settlement with my ex wife one which we were both happy with and which neither her Lawyer or my original one would recommend, I guess they just hadn't reached their target fee levels.

As for the whole big brother is watching us thing all i can say is that these days if he's looking this way he's gonna die of boredom, suits me to live a quiet life but that B******ST*RD KEEPS POKING HIS NOSE IN.

For the past ten years my ex and i have had a joint tax thing going on nothing serious but it just drags on, my ex being a lawyer is good at dealing with all that stuff and I trust her completely to deal with it, heres the

catch though the guy at the Tax department is called Rich Evill, two Ll's I guess that makes it ok then? And don't get me started on the planning department, word of the day Month and year is Mendacious, great word and sums those people up i'd say.[/quote']

Roger? You SO need to Jam and chill out with a nice bottle of Red mate. Then look around.

I have been through it myself. The DREADED CSA. LONG story which I will tell you about one day. You are probably thinking WTF has that got to do with anything?

Man I have been to the bottom. THE VERY bottom. Hell do you think for one minute I would ever think about giving up with 2 kids and a wife who I love?

You are a strong guy and a good person. You will win I have absolutely no doubt. I DID! in such a cool way hahahah. You will too.

Humans being and humans doing. A BIG difference my friend.

Archived