Gibson Brands Forums

String buzzing

RickLafayette

I picked up a fairly new guitar off of e-bay, the L1 Robert Johnson model. The only problem I have with it is that the high E string is buzzing on the first fret. What is the best way of shimming up the string? I will probably have a new nut installed down the road but, for now, I want to play it a while. The rest of the set up is spot on.

I temporarily cut a small piece of a wound G string and stuck it in the slot between the nut and the E string and it seems to be working and not affecting the tone at all. I just don't want to have to keep doing this every time I change a string.

I remember reading an article many years ago where powder made from grinding an old nut or saddle was mixed with some type of epoxy and used in this type of application. Is this what I want to do? Can somebody recommend the right epoxy?

Thanks.

Some people (me included) have used bone dust and super glue to fill in a low nut slot. I haven't had very good luck doing that.

You might have a fret end that's not seated well, or that end of the first fret might be high. The truss rod might even be too tight. All I'm saying is that it might not be the string slot at fault.

Another consideration is that you just got it off ebay, so I assume it was shipped, possibly from another part of the country. You might want to let it acclimate to your environment. Even having the strings slacked off for shipping can affect it for a few days.

For now I'd leave the g string piece there. It's not hurting anything. Splitting hairs, it's probably affecting intonation, but it will still get you by for now. Try taking it out a week from now and then re-assess it. If the buzz is still there, check the truss rod adjustment and also feel around the base of the fret, see if you can catch your fingernail under it. If you need clarification then, just holler.

If it's just the high E buzzing on the first fret I don't suspect anything but a too-deep nut slot on that string. If that's the case, there should be an obvious difference in string height at the nut between the E and the B next to it (assuming the B is good to go). Use your G string fix until you get a new nut made. The nut slot can be filled with dust and glue, but it would have to be re-cut to the proper height after the mixture sets......do you have nut files? If so, do the fix and keep the nut. I've heard of luthiers using slow set super glue for the setting agent.

Disclaimer: I am not a trained luthier.........use your own judgement on this one.

Archived