Gibson Brands Forums

What's Brad playing?

Gilliangirl

It sure is nice!

I just realized that this video has a *political* side to it so it may get yanked. No problem. Didn't mean to upset anyone. I just thought the guitar was interesting. Well, and Brad...... be still my heart! :o/ (clears throat) but the guitar, that's the point.

It sure is nice!

I just realized that this video has a *political* side to it so it may get yanked. No problem. Didn't mean to upset anyone. I just thought the guitar was interesting. Well' date=' and Brad...... be still my heart! :o/ (clears throat) but the guitar, that's the point.[/quote']

Yea, right!!!

if you pause it at 3:22 you can almost read the truss cover. it looks like the last figure is a 5 but it might be a "BP". is it a J-45? with the exception of the pickguard and the burst, are all the other features consistent?

his rhythm player can be seen playing it here

as schmaltzy as the song and its topic are, i like it alot. man he's a good player. great tele tone. thanks for that, gg.

Fred, where did you get those photos? I think you're probably right about that guitar. I really like it.

Alison K is so sweet, love that picture.

Cunk, thanks for the YouTube clip. Obviously that guitar of his is a keeper and goes everywhere with him.

Don't mean to hijack but can someone please explain to me the difference between a Tele and a Strat?

how dare you! ;P

strats have double cutaway 3 pickups come standard... generally have a brighter sound.

teles single cutaway.... 2 pus standard... generally more twangy and countrylike

+1 to what J!854me said. I dig that pickguard' date=' the shape, it looks like it's got some mass to it too.

Here's a capture from the video:

[img']http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt303/jchabalk/BradPaisley.jpg[/img]

Ah - now THAT'S the way to do it!! Wish I was smart enough to do that too. :-)

You can see the script logo and banner headstock, the reverse belly bridge with the drop in (not the slot through) saddle, and the pickup input.

Cool pickguard.

Fred

how dare you! ;P

strats have double cutaway 3 pickups come standard... generally have a brighter sound.

teles single cutaway.... 2 pus standard... generally more twangy and countrylike

LOL I know nothing about electrics, as I always say. Thanks for the explanation DAS

+1 to what J!854me said. I dig that pickguard' date=' the shape, it looks like it's got some mass to it too.

Here's a capture from the video:

[img']http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt303/jchabalk/BradPaisley.jpg[/img]

Oooooh, that is a very very fine picture, jchabalk. Thank you for that

Notice at the treble side of the 12th fret it appears there's a strap button! I thought that was a big no-no putting it there.

GG! here is an expert answer from sweetwater.

http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/techtip.php?find=2003-11-21

the strat and tele are two like animals from the same maker (fender) but with very different personalities. even though your not sure if you know, you have heard the differences many times in your musical life and probably haven't accredited it to that instrument. that picky, snappy, twangy tele sound found in a variety of country music, both modern and classic, is the same sound found in this brad paisley video. it is instantly recognizable once you know what it is. strats, otho, have their own sound. jimi hendrix and eric clapton, among others, made the strat famous in the hard rock and blues world. both guitars are unique primarily because of their pickup configuration. the tele has two single coil pickups and a three-way toggle switch, located besides the volume and tone control knobs, allows the player to select either the bridge pickup, the neck pickup or both. hence the term 'three-way'. the strat has three pickups and a 5-way switch allowing for some other tonal possibilities. when the 5-way toggle is all the way to the right - only the bridge pickup is on. when its all the way to the left - only the neck pick up is on. when the selector is in the center, all three are on. there are two 'extra' positions on the strat toggle - halfway in between center and left - and halfway in between center and right. for 5 postions in all. when the selector (or toggle as it is also called) is halfway between center and right, the bridge pickup and the center pickups are on. likewise, when the toggle is positioned betwwen all the way left and center, the neck pickup and center pickup are on.if you've ever heard the term 'quack tone' this is kinda the sound it makes in this position. again, very recognizable once you know what you're listening for. when it is directly in the center, all three are on.

here's a demo of each guitar.

this is a pretty comprehensive video but fast forward to 3:09 where he shuts up and actually plays.

GG! here is an expert answer from sweetwater.

http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/techtip.php?find=2003-11-21

the strat and tele are two like animals from the same maker (fender) but with very different personalities. even though your not sure if you know' date=' you have heard the differences many times in your musical life and probably haven't accredited it to that instrument. that picky, snappy, twangy tele sound found in a variety of country music, both modern and classic, is the same sound found in this brad paisley video. it is instantly recognizable once you know what it is. strats, otho, have their own sound. jimi hendrix and eric clapton, among others, made the strat famous in the hard rock and blues world. both guitars are unique primarily because of their pickup configuration. the tele has two single coil pickups and a three-way toggle switch, located besides the volume and tone control knobs, allows the player to select either the bridge pickup, the neck pickup or both. hence the term 'three-way'. the strat has three pickups and a 5-way switch allowing for some other tonal possibilities. when the 5-way toggle is all the way to the right - only the bridge pickup is on. when its all the way to the left - only the neck pick up is on. when the selector is in the center, all three are on. there are two 'extra' positions on the strat toggle - halfway in between center and left - and halfway in between center and right. for 5 postions in all. when the selector (or toggle as it is also called) is halfway between center and right, the bridge pickup and the center pickups are on. likewise, when the toggle is positioned betwwen all the way left and center, the neck pickup and center pickup are on.if you've ever heard the term 'quack tone' this is kinda the sound it makes in this position. again, very recognizable once you know what you're listening for. when it is directly in the center, all three are on.

here's a demo of each guitar.

this is a pretty comprehensive video but fast forward to 3:09 where he shuts up and actually plays.

[/quote']

Wow, that was an incredibly informative video! Thanks Cunk. As I watched it I could hear different artists as he moved the toggle switch to the different picks-ups. Oooh, that sounds like Keith Urban. Ooooh, that sounds like Jimi. Oooh, that sounds like the guy from Cheap Trick, etc. I'm glad I finally learned the difference. Now I understand why DAS had a mini-meltdown when I asked haha!

Notice at the treble side of the 12th fret it appears there's a strap button! I thought that was a big no-no putting it there.

Hey GG...

That is where I always want my strap button. There are other places you can put it' date=' but #5 on the photo below is my and my luthiers preference. It seems to give the guitar the best balance with that location. Some say it gets in the way of their hands when playing up above the 12th fret...... (but nobody really plays up there anyway, do they?!?! [-o< ) FWIW.. I play up to, and beyond the 12th fret with no problems on any of my guitars, but it is easier on the Taylor with a cut away.

[img']http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd219/lofapco/Straplocation_1.jpg[/img]

Archived