Gibson Brands Forums

RP pick guard conversion

Blackie

Man, I gotta agree with GIANTRobOT420 in your quote. You are a mad scientist!

Your SG looks killer with that new pick guard. I bet you're the only person on the planet with a pick guard like that on a RP. Nice work.

So did the kitty help ya? Do you actually leave any guitars stock? Jeez' date=' I wish I was that talented to do that. I am considering purchasing a 3 layer B/W/B full pickguard (like on the standards) for mine. Ya beat me to the punch again. lol[/quote']

The cat supervised somewhat, and I did have a black SG Standard that was stock (no need for any change)

but it was stolen and there is no record of the serial number so it is out there along with a million other

black SG's. So I make sure to register any new guitars right away. The mods I have done to the

RP may void the warranty but I have faith in the overall construction of Gibson guitars and am not

worried about any problems. I am going to get some type bass next and turn it into an EB-3 shape

unless I find an epi EB-3 bass somewhere cheap.

11aa150.jpg

Here ya go, these are not the right covers I just put um on so we can see the look

might go with some nickle ones. Also I plugged it in and I see and hear why this needs to

be done correctly. I might even just get new covered pups instead of gambling on doing it.

I really want to do this pick-guard conversion but I would need to have a custom made one that would cover the channel cavity between the pup cavities.... Plus I would have to deal with the holes... So I guess the full sized PG stays for now.

BTW, very nicely done=d>

11aa150.jpg

Here ya go' date=' these are not the right covers I just put um on so we can see the look

might go with some nickle ones. Also I plugged it in and I see and hear why this needs to

be done correctly. I might even just get new covered pups instead of gambling on doing it.[/quote']

That looks so sweet. It looks pretty '70s-ish. I agree that a third pickup would be cool. Usually I like the look of créme coils with a triple pickup guitar. But that would be heavy customization. Then again, many old SGs were routed for 3 pickups under the guard. You could always go back. It just might be a little costly...

Anyways I'll stop throwing ideas at you. Lookin good.

Archived