Gibson Brands Forums

Not one of their better performances...

daveinspain

I have heard many say that Zeppelin live sucked....I can see why after watching that video.

Their studio albums are amazing as we all know' date=' but back then they werent very polished for a live show.[/quote']

Actually Blue they were great live... I saw them at least 4 times in Boston back in the day and I was never disappointed.... I think the performance in question must have been the tail end of a tour or they were just wasted that night.

Actually Blue they were great live... I saw them at least 4 times in Boston back in the day and I was never disappointed.... I think the performance in question must have been the tail end of a tour or they were just wasted that night.

Dave' date=' the one and only concert I've seen back then, was FABULOUS! I agree with what you said above,...and pop stars remain ordinary people after all, most of the time they're in excellent shape and you'll get the double of your concertticket in return, and sometimes they mess up...I call it, human. I was 16 and probably just lucky...not probably, just very lucky...seen John Bonham 3 months before he died...

[img']http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp185/DeVeeWee/LedZeppelin.jpg[/img]

I loved that clip and although not lucky enough to have seen Led Zeppelin live, have always admired their live performances, from the bootlegs and official live recording that have been made available recently.

This DVD http://discography.ledzeppelin.com/disc_dvd.html is just awesome. The Earls Court footage is ace.

Too many players today are as sterile as a doctors surgery and too anal in my opinion. I don't view Page's playing as sloppy, but as sensual, animalistic and always pushing the boundaries.

Matt

I saw "Zep" several times, and Page and Beck playing together in the Yarbirds, 3 times in one year. All were decent performances, but NONE were "perfect!"

In one, Jim McCarty (Yardbirds drummer) passed out cold, on his drum kit, in Wichita Kansas, at the Cotillion Ballroom. We though it was because he was "wasted,"

but it seems it was "exhaustion?" At least, that's what they "said!" LOL! And, who knows? I might have been true? Page (to me) has never been a "clean"

precise player...but, has lots of feeling, and charisma (when he's not wasted), to make up for it in "Live" situations. Beck and Clapton, are far more precise,

IMHO. People sometimes complain that EC needs to "let loose" once in awhile...and really "burn it up," but he's never been a "wild man!" And, he "burns it up,"

plenty...again, IMHO.

CB

Page was a studio wizard. He had great ideas and chops, they even had the look and the mystique.

Having said that, it was hard to get that full sound live...I found live Zepp to be hollow and sloppy.

You guys are gonna hate me for this...Bonham was recorded in such a way that he sounded better then he was.

John Paul Jones was very underated...A musicians musician.

Deepblue,

John paul Jones was born in Sidcup where I live. It is a little suburban town in South East London; but buzzing with music. Kate Bush grew up 4 miles away in Welling, David Bowie went to school 6 miles away at the school I attended (Ravens Wood school, Bromley) and now teach the guitar at. Then 7 miles to the left of Sidcup is Dartford itself, yes the town Mick Jagger grew up in!!!!#-o=D>

As if this doesn't sound far fetched enough, where I grew up from the ages 5-18 in Orpington (7 miles from Sidcup) the professor of Classical Guitar at The Royal College Of Music lived a 5 minute walk away so i used to have weekly lessons from him.

Jeez reading that it sounds like sheer bullshit LMAO, but it is all very true. Britain and especially London, is a thriving music community all within such a tiny area.

Matt

Well, it's like Dave said Bonham shined, and with a good back beat, you can suck a little bit which I don't think he did, considering he was probably either high, or strung out when that was filmed. I think he was/is a master of improv, and besides, and I think Jesse will concurr, he's Jimmy Page, they were at a point in Led Zeppelin where they could have royally sucked, and the majority of the crowd wouldn't have cared...they're Led Zeppelin! I absolutely LOVE the first song they do on "Song Remains The Same", Rock 'N Roll"...Page TEARS it up. I WISH I could play like that.

Not an exact quote but when Joe Satriani and Vai were interviewed together in Guitar World in the late 80's I was really taken back by the reverence to Page, and also Hendrix...

Joe said 99 percent of the time on stage he was thinking about Jimi Hendrix and regarding Jimmpy Page, that Page was an excellent composer, producer, writer and guitarist. He said something along the lines of "what more could you want?".

I love The Battle Of Evermore, Going To California, Your Time is Going To Come, Rock and Roll, The Song Remains The Same, That's The Way!!!! bloody hell i love all their stuff!!!

Matt

wow, jimmy surpassed his own personal best for dead notes there. lol. yeah. chalk it up to a bad night. bonham was delicious. plant's voice was cracking like a schoolboy. this song in the movie 'song remains the same' gives me chills. the solo is perfection in every aspect. plant is right on, too. its magic.

Deepblue' date='

John paul Jones was born in Sidcup where I live. It is a little suburban town in South East London; but buzzing with music. Kate Bush grew up 4 miles away in Welling, David Bowie went to school 6 miles away at the school I attended (Ravens Wood school, Bromley) and now teach the guitar at. Then 7 miles to the left of Sidcup is Dartford itself, yes the town Mick Jagger grew up in!!!!=P~ :-

As if this doesn't sound far fetched enough, where I grew up from the ages 5-18 in Orpington (7 miles from Sidcup) the professor of Classical Guitar at The Royal College Of Music lived a 5 minute walk away so i used to have weekly lessons from him.

Jeez reading that it sounds like sheer bull**** LMAO, but it is all very true. Britain and especially London, is a thriving music community all within such a tiny area.

Matt[/quote']

Sear...

I believe it. England is the Mecca for outstanding musicians. I lived in Tunbridge Wells for a while and I saw Roger Daltrey in Sainsburys.

Dark glasses and very low key, but it was him. I was told he lived in the area.

Not as tall as I expected.

Deepblue!!

Tunbridge Wells was a favourite busking spot for me about 12 years ago!! I used to play in a bar in the pantiles too.

I was a little reprobate, I used to play until I had about £40 and then eat pizza and then drink the afternoon away! I always met interesting people too =P~ :-/

Matt

Deepblue!!

Tunbridge Wells was a favourite busking spot for me about 12 years ago!! I used to play in a bar in the pantiles too.

I was a little reprobate' date=' I used to play until I had about £40 and then eat pizza and then drink the afternoon away! I always met interesting people too =P~ :-/

Matt[/quote']

Sear...

I lived about a 5 minute walk from the Pantiles. I lived there nine years ago and I must say that I do miss it sometimes.

Jeez Jocko!!!!

Saying that Jimmy Page is not a rock God is like saying that Jesus didn't resurrect after three days on a Christian fundamental forum. :) :)

This needs to be added to the rules of the Gibson site.

rule 19. Jimmy Page was infallible and a rock God. His playing shall not be questioned on the forums. Anyone breaking this rule shall be banned without prior warning.

Axe, I am beginning to have strange feelings towards you my comrade

Matt

well maybe you don't have to go that far....

but i for one will say that particularly the early live Zeppelin (and even earlier Yardbirds) stuff was classic rock'n'roll.

there are quite a few really good live bootleg recordings from the 1969-1973 period that showcase what a brilliant band Zeppelin was and what a spectacular player Page was. i do agree that after about 73 the band got into the lifestyle of excess and that drink and drugs made their performances more hit and miss. sometimes even within the same show -some parts were sloppy while others were great.

Zeppelin's early stuff was largely explorations of classic improvisational blues. the very nature of that type of music means it is bound to have rough edges and technical experimentation. Page always excelled at that stuff, even if he was not as consistent as some more modern players.

the guy still blazed musical trails that thousands of guitarists have been following for the past 40 years.

Jocko

My blues playing (I assume you mean the blues/improv clips on youtube) is a completely different style ... BUT anyway I can't touch this guy!

His note choices and what he reaches for is just out of this world. When he screws up yes he screws up royally, but when he doesn't he takes you somewhere else. He was a risk taker and a very dangerous, volatile, unreliable and because of these things a very exciting player.

Many people may be able to perform on the guitar these days, all perfect and clean, but much of it is like the safe boring missionary position stuff compared to Pages rampant sausaging of the instrument.

and yes Milod sausaging is a 'bona' fide word!!!

Jocko, I await my apology via pm!!!

When is your birthday? I am going to buy the BBC sessions and send it to you as a present.

Matt

Archived