Gibson Brands Forums

New set of Strings

daveinspain

I always used 10's on my guitars and a friend suggested I try 9's... Easier on the fingers and still sound great!

Interesting, Dave. I went the other way, using 9's for several years and, in the interest of tone and volume, tried some 10 sets on my Eagle and my Sheraton II. I love 'em. The Del Rey still wears 9's and they feel almost non-existent when I've been playing the heavier ones for awhile.

I swear by D'Addario 8-38s my hands aren't real big and I've been "blessed" lately with arthritis howeverI've been using them for over 20yrs.They stay in tune better and hold their brilliance much longer than many othersI've tried and since I come from the Jimi Hendrix-Buddy Guy school of extreme string bending they allow more aggressive bends and still remain in tune.They also stand up to severe whammy bar use provided you lube your bridge and nut(standard Strat type)and stretch the strings as you tune after putting them on.

8's how the heck do you keep the guitar in tune?

+1- I recently dropped down to 10s (from 11s) and I find chords will often sound sharp - and I am over bending too. I may be switching back to 11s unless I can learn to lighten up my touch.

Archived