Gibson Brands Forums

Me sucking

Tim Plains

1 - You don't suck, Tim.

2 - I don't think those song choices were really great ones for comparing the tones. However, the R9 definitely sounded clearer to me - more presence, more overtones. It made the Trad sound flat and dull. Impressive.

3 - The Blackheart has great overdrive - you just have to turn it up past 2/3 to get there. Maybe for the next vid?

4 - So, you are buying a 5th or 6th or 7th sunburst (and one that doesn't sound nearly as good as your R9) why...? I couldn't see myself playing the Trad at all when that R9 sounds so amazing!

5 - Nice couch

6 - Thanks for posting that. I enjoyed hearing the comparison. I would love to see you do the same for all of your sunbursts (though that could take a while!). :D

surfpup,

2 - You're right, they weren't. I'm not a good guitarist, by any means - I just do it for fun. This was the second vid I've posted and I just pick simple songs rather than try and show off ma skilz!!

3 - Again, you're right. It does but it comes out sounding like crap when the camera is just 1' away. If I do decide to post another vid, it'll be with the Marshall. =P~

4 - Why? G.A.S., that's why! If I do buy anymore Les Pauls, they'll all be historics, don't worry...but I don't see myself getting anymore for a while. The next three guitars on my hit list are a Firebird, 359 & maybe a PRS 513. If not the 513, then another Les Paul.

5 - What is it with all the couch comments? :D It's the most comfortable couch ever! lol

surfpup' date='

2 - You're right, they weren't. I'm not a good guitarist, by any means - I just do it for fun. This was the second vid I've posted and I just pick simple songs rather than try and show off [i']ma skilz!![/i]

3 - Again, you're right. It does but it comes out sounding like crap when the camera is just 1' away. If I do decide to post another vid, it'll be with the Marshall. =P~

4 - Why? G.A.S., that's why! If I do buy anymore Les Pauls, they'll all be historics, don't worry...but I don't see myself getting anymore for a while. The next three guitars on my hit list are a Firebird, 359 & maybe a PRS 513. If not the 513, then another Les Paul.

5 - What is it with all the couch comments? :D It's the most comfortable couch ever! lol

The couch is very retro 80s.

Almost precisely what I did Tim except in addition to just strumming some chords with the amp, I started by just strumming some chords amp-less. There's a difference there too. I then took probably 10 or so blues licks I know, first played on one then the other. All done on a Bogner Shiva so there's no way I could have doubts about the amp adversely biasing the comparison in any way. NICE AMP BTW! Think I've said that before elsewhere.

The R9 is just a little brighter with a little better-sweeter sustain IMO but what wow'ed me more was "how it played" better, not that the Traditional Plus I was playing was crap by any means. On the contrary I still like the Traditional Plus enough to probably own one someday. An LP I can actually take somewhere - unlike the R9. It was, after all, the winner of all the other LPs I tried [studio, Classic, Standard, Supreme, Several Customs]

And for those that like to play dirty, so do I but when I'm comparing guitars, I probably do 90% of it clean. Just virgin, as unaltered as possible, tone.

Thanks for sucking for us Tim . . . Fact is, when you're comparing guitars, you don't have to play something that shows your capability as a player, you play something simple that you can play exactly on the other guitar. KISS it and compare them as long as the shop will put up with you.

Both sound great.

That said, I always found it dificult to tell one guitar from the other when listening to one or two songs for a couple of minutes... for me to notice the differences I have to have both guitars for a while (a week maybe?) and play them a lot, get acustomed to each guitar's tone and have it clear in my memory.

Acordingly, you'll have to send me both guitars so I can give you an opinion Tim:D

4 - Why? G.A.S.' date=' that's why! If I do buy anymore Les Pauls, they'll all be historics, don't worry...but I don't see myself getting anymore for a while. The next three guitars on my hit list are a Firebird, 359 & maybe a PRS 513. If not the 513, then another Les Paul.[/quote']

I was just gonna say "firebird"=p~ what about a vox virage or a rick? You'll have to buy a rick sooner or later... just sayin'

Archived