Gibson Brands Forums

Shut up and play...?

LesBonfire

I think most guitar players are always tweaking the gear they use and it never stops. We have talked before about playing Vs. tweaking and which is right and I think it depends where you are in he learning/playing curve if your just starting the I agree get a guitar you like leave it the hell alone and learn to play after you have your chops down then experiment to your hearts content after 20 years of playing practice isn't going to take hours a day anymore so trying different amps and tweaking gear for a certain tone has become more important at least to me. So as in most things in life to each there own.

that said most great players have rooms full of gear, there's only a few (Neil Young) types that have found there own sound 30 years ago and don't change anything no matter what. I'm betting if Hendricks was still alive he wouldn't be playing a upside down Fender in today's world there's too many choices now to make do with something that isn't right.

Everybody, I don't care who they are eventually achieves their own sound, regardless of who they're trying to emulate. I personally like my sound, and no matter what guitar I play, or what amp I use, I sound like me, might be louder depending on the amp I suppose, but once you've reached that point, a guitar is a guitar, modded or not. 'Course I guess that's subjective, but I've played several different types and brands of guitars, and if they're humbucker equipped, I sound the same on an Epiphone as I do on a Gibson as I do on a Hamer as I do on a Paul Reed Smith. It ain't the guitar, it's the player.

I definately play my guitar a hell of alot. Some people eat when they're bored.. I play guitar. For hours.

If I said I don't care about guitars and gear I'd be lying. I'm obsessed with it.

But my main interest is in playing. I seriously have trouble in school because all I can think of in class is music.

I have the same problem.... but thankfully I somehow get the work done

Me to...they keep senidng me to the guidence counslour and they ask why i cant foucs...i say because i got music in my head. Soon they will say i have MD music disorder.

George said later' date=' that he hated his "Beatles" guitar tone! The tone that so many "Beatles Freaks" now, Try so hard, to obtain! LOL!

Everyone goes through this...IMHO. I go through periods, where I like the tone I'm getting....then, changing nothing,

I get bored with it, or start disliking it, for some reason. That's why we all change "pickups and hardware" or even

guitars and amps...we get bored, or want a change...to try to find that perfect tone, feel, whatever. It's a "Tail Chase,"

no doubt...as there is NO "perfect" tone, and it, along with "feel," changes as our moods or even physical feelings, change.

Just a part of being "human," you know? Though, it can drive you "crazy," at times...huh? ;>)

CB[/quote']

+1

I've got a 3 month old amp and I'm already looking into swapping out the tubes

even though I KNOW that there's really nothing wrong with the tone ....

It's like searching for the Holy Grail of sound , it doesn't exist.

I really should be spending more time on technique rather than tone.

I think there's more to neck shape, nut width and strings than get credit.

I went through the "tone" thing and "playability" thing just like everybody else, and that was with acoustics as much as electrics.

Then... it seems as if at a given point and I'd dumped guitars I played better than others I kept some some silly reason... then I decided to quit the trading game and keep what I had.

Oddly the guitars I use most now have somewhat similar necks, nut width, all are humbucker pickups for "electric" (a single pole add-on for the 12-string and piezos on the two A-E guitars)...

Basically the same strings or string types are used on all of the above.

Yeah, I have a hunch I sound pretty much the same regardless of guitar or specific amp.

There are some old guitars I once traded that I'd love to have back.

If somebody wants to give away a guitar, I'd take some Gibbie hollow or semi-hollows; but the first thing I'd do is lower the action and add those nice light strings... but I don't think I'd care to trade any of what I've got even straight across for something "better" at this point.

Yeah, I think a lot has to do with looks that made my dumb decisions - not playability or even tone.

As for "the old guys," sorry, I do think they went through the same thing until finally they hit a guitar that made their technique easier and sounded "good" to "excellent." That's whether they played Bach all the time, flamenco, jazz or rock...

m

LOL....you know, the other thing is...(I won't speak for others, here...but) the more I'm playing "out" or in "live" situations, for people,

paid (or not), the less I tend to worry about changing anything, technically. I think people start to "change things," or

get bored, when they have too much time, on their hands...and start looking for things to "make it better," you know? The more one

plays, and the better you get, the less interested in "modding," one becomes...in my experience, anyway. But, that's just me!

I'm quite happy, with all my guitars...and, amazingly, they're mostly "stock!" I wouldn't have purchased them, if I didn't like what they

played and sounded like, in the first place. And, any real "Tweaking" I've done, has been on or with the Amp(s). My Fender Twin Reverb,

has been (consistently) over 40 years, the amp I most go to, overall. If I need a Marshall Tone, I use a Marshall Pedal....Yeah, I know...

not exactly the same thing, but...it's "close enough, for Rock & Roll," most times. Smaller venues, I use a Blues Junior, or HR Deluxe.

Both, will give me excellent results, in the appropriate venues. Other's here, will have their favorites. But, my "Tone" really comes from

my playing technique, more than anything...good or bad, as that may be. :>)

CB

Is this thread's title is a homage to Frank Zappa's "Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar"? :) :)

All great points as always on the Gibson forum). I think all artistic people have very clear ideas about how they wish to present themselves through their chosen medium, and of course it is only right to spend time honing the equipment/tools they have, to get the sound that express' themselves.

The 'however part' of this post though (once again) comes back to people putting too much emphasis on what gear they have; and not enough emphasis how they practice, focus, and make their sound, with their own technique and musicality.

'The gear', is the cherry on the cake, of 99 percent of you and your ability.

ie it is you that makes the sound...YES YOU! LOL =P~ :)

I have met people who have thrown thousands and thousands of pounds on effects, amps and guitars. They have all tried to buy their sound. This is lazy in my opinion as it is not accepting the responsibility that it is YOU that is the most important factor in achieving this. It cannot be purchased.

You can buy countless R9's, vintage Gibsons, boutique valve amps- and the kid/guy/woman who has gone deep into their own self, will sound better with a Yamaha Pacifica and a Peavey Blazer.

Matt

Hi Matt

Nice to meet you properly #-o There is a Jazz Guitarist called Matt Otten who has the most amazing, amazing tone; and he laughs in interviews because he uses a Korean Epiphone Sheraton ii through a solid state sessionette combo. He says that people are always asking him what he uses and are surprised by the choice of gear. But hey, it works for him.

Matt

ps Jeez three Matt's in the post...Matt c'mon confess your gear LOL

It seems to me there are two kinds of "tweaking." The one I'm most often guilty of comes from boredom, from not being able to play because life gets in the way. So I (we?) obsess over details, because thinking about it is the next best thing.

But then there's the creative process, where you're twiddling dials because for this song, right here, you want something different, more original, or just plain better. I doubt any worthwhile musician, ever, has "just played" and ignored this part of the creative process. And some of the greats are notorious for it, aren't they?

Ok, here goes:

Epiphone Les Paul Classic (pictured)

Zoom 505II

Crate B20 Combo 1x12

Acoustically:

"Marlboro Martin"

Johnson MA100 Mandolin

The most expensive thing in that list is the Epiphone, and as far as I'm concerned, is indispensable...very..."Les Pauly" to my ear. The Fake Martin I traded a computer monitor for, the Zoom was about 30 bucks, the Crate is my Significant Others dearly departed Father's amp, and the Mandolin was 75 bucks, out the door. I likie the Zoom because it has all the types of sounds I need, and they're all adjustable, I haven't even used to the empty user banks, which is about 20 more, give/take. I like my rig, very portable, very loud.

A lot of discussion in here is on modifications' date=' pick ups, wood types, mahoganey tops, maple tops, rosewood and ebony fingeerboards, graphite and bone nuts ... this and that...what I'd like to know is if any of you think that guys like Muddy, BB, Chuck Berry and the rest of the greats cared about this stuff when they were making some if not the greatest music in the last century??? Or they just played...and played...and loved that its what they did professionally? I'd like to hear peoples input on this one...

[/quote']

I play what sounds good, I dont really care for details.

That said I preffer to buy certain brands and will almost never even try other brands, same goes for some models of the brands I like, Ill never even give them a try.

But then again, sounding good and feeling a bond with what you are playing should be the most important thing, if it was for details we would still be playing acoustic guitars as they are "the real thing" (this regarding all the purist talk about tubes and solid bodies)

Ok' date=' here goes:

Epiphone Les Paul Classic (pictured)

Zoom 505II

Crate B20 Combo 1x12

Acoustically:

"Marlboro Martin"

Johnson MA100 Mandolin

The most expensive thing in that list is the Epiphone, and as far as I'm concerned, is indispensable...very..."Les Pauly" to my ear. The Fake Martin I traded a computer monitor for, the Zoom was about 30 bucks, the Crate is my Significant Others dearly departed Father's amp, and the Mandolin was 75 bucks, out the door. I likie the Zoom because it has all the types of sounds I need, and they're all adjustable, I haven't even used to the empty user banks, which is about 20 more, give/take. I like my rig, very portable, very loud.[/quote']

I just requested you as a friend.

Hearing the tones you get on your tracks, and then reading the gear list above just made me smile. Nice work and tastey playing!

Matt

If you make time...There's plenty of it to play guitar and fiddle around with effects and forums and upgrades....blah blah blah.

I have often found that a new pedal or guitar can help create new music. Almost as if it has a soul of it's own waiting to do something different.

Or maybe I'm just &%%$%^$&^%.=P~

Certainly though, it is far better to just play when you are starting out. Get good first, then try different things.

Chops first......Applesauce later!!

Tone is in your fingers more than the materials. The materials will color the tone that comes from your fingers. That's why you can hear a great player playing a plywood body crap guitar and still sound great. Overcompensation never helped anyone except in high stakes winner takes all scrabble.

Mmmmmm pork chops.....ya lately I've really been trying to get a nice tone from just my fingers. I'm 26 and feel like I have arthritis now!!!....so something must be working!

I really hope jrseriel is reading this thread!!! Useful stuff for that kiddo!

Archived