Gibson Brands Forums

Any ideas guys.

DAS44

How about something about magnets and string vibration, maybe something like what an E-Bow does.

There is a lot of science and math that goes into guitar design and in music in general, here's a couple more ideas.

Scale length and fret placement.

String tension and pitch as relates to string guage.

Notes converted to Hz and how the octaves, harmonies and such are mathmatical.

This last one is something I've wanted to do a extensive study on myself, on the basis that I believe all music can be explained mathmatecally. Could a song become an equation, or is there a mathmatical reason a I-IV-V progression sounds so good. Inquiring minds want to know. As I've been known to say "music is math".

Not sure if you can pull this off with an electric, as the sound needs to be central to the object, but if you can get your hands on an acoustic this would work great:

If you are able to work in a large area, test the Doppler Effect to demonstrate how a given pitch will change as the object creating the noise moves to and from the listener.

There is a science behind it, as the object gets near the listener, the sound waves shorten; the pitch gets higher. As the object moves farther from the listener, the sound waves elongate and the pitch becomes lowerdeeper.

For added fun, pick out any musically inclined students (if any) to listen: Try hitting your low open E then move away from them to resonate the next relative octave of E.

Then do that with more notes, to show how consistent it is.

Just an idea =D>

You know what I've always wondered? Does time and sound change the structural makeup of wood? We are always told that old guitars (solid tops) will sound better with time because as the wood is exposed to sound waves, it becomes more flexible. Has anyone ever proven that? I don't know how you'd conduct an experiment like that tho'. AND, it would really only appeal to acoustic guitar geeks.

Don't show up that day. Tell Teacher it was an experiment in invisibility.

L5Larry

There is a lot of science and math that goes into guitar design and in music in general, here's a couple more ideas.

Notes converted to Hz and how the octaves, harmonies and such are mathmatical.

"music is math".

+1 for L5Larry's project.

when I was in high school, my sci fair project was on lengths of "tubing" and pitch of the tone if one used a trumpet mouthpiece...

In retrospect, I kinda like some of the ideas the other guys offered about scale length and fitting frets for a tempered scale. Showing harmonic spots at 5th and 7th and 12th "fret" areas could make it obviously something anyone could repeat. I'm guessing a 2x4 piece of lumber long enough for a string, string connections, a metal "nut" and "bridge" shouldn't be too hard. Get say, 4 of them, one without any frets, one with x number of frets, etc, etc.

I'm guessing for this purpose just superglue and nails would work as frets.

good luck!

m

Archived