Gibson Brands Forums

THE AMP

SG dude

Right alot of people here are trying to capture that "angus tone" and the amp must play a big role in getting THE sound, no?!? so does anyone know which amp Angus young uses? on a few vids ive saw him play what looks like a plexi (maybe?) anyone? (and i know the amp isnt the only thing, but id would be good to know, and you can definatly get close to it without the amp, but hey)

I'm not sure the exact model that Angus used, I know he played through some vintage Marshall amps. You'll probably be able to get the tone you want by getting a tube amp. -Look for like a 50 watt if you can. -A friend of mine got a pretty killer AC/DC type tone from an old Sovtek Mig 50.

No matter what kind of amp you get, make sure you don't use a ton of gain. That was a key factor to his sound, there was distortion, but it didn't cover up the notes he was playing.

I know it's a little off the topic of amps, but talkin about Angus Young tone. Has anyone played the Angus signature humbucker? I saw them advertised and wondered if they made a difference or not. As with all the signature products, you pay for the name. Some of the sig. stuff helps with the quest for tone and some stuff is a total waste of money IMHO. I do know that alot of Angus' sound is generated by his playing style (vibrato from hell!!)

Just wonder which catagory the Angus sig. humbucker falls into?

I remember reading an interview with Angus a few years ago (I can't remember the article, otherwise I'd try to link to it). Angus mentioned how his amp caught on fire when he played the solo on 'Let There Be Rock' and they kept the solo.

Generic?

Blasphemer!!!

I would say organic.

No effects' date=' no bullsh!t.

The only thing between his SG and an amp is the cord - or wireless in later years.

Yeah, old Plexi's are the trick.

He owns a truckload of them - literally.[/quote']

I'd say it's organic too. I'm a huge fan on plugging straight into the amp. I just find that his tone isn't very unique. I also think most of his riffs are generic too. I love his solos though.

Sorry that my comment sounds so opinionated. That's just how I've always felt about ACDC.

If it helps my dad is good friends with chris slade (I've hung out with him and ridden in the car with him and stuff) who isn't just the ACDC drummer. He has a remarkable history of other musicians he has jammed/ recorded with.

He was in a band with jimmy page for example... Manfrid Mann.. The list is amazing.

I thought the drummer is Phil Rudd unless there was a time he filled in. Phil is in

all the early videos and the lastest the only one I'm not sure is who played on

the Donnington DVD. Any of the older Marshalls and a SG plugged straight in will

get you the sound. I use my JTM50 or JCM800 throught a 2x12 with greenbacks and

bingo.

CW

Wikipedia says he used 1959 100 watt super lead plexis with Celestion 12" greenbacks.

Another thing to keep in mind is the recording aspect. The microphones, cables and compressors used in the recordings all color the sound. They probably took 2 4x12 cabs, ran three different mics on each of them, summed each three into mono and used both cabs as a stereo image. They probably used a small-diaphragm dynamic (SM57), large diaphragm dynamic (Sennheiser MD421) and either a large diaphragm condensor like the veritable c414 or a ribbon mic (Royer).

Not to mention the microphone pre-amps probably cost $2,000 each.

Recorded on 2 inch tape so theres plenty of nice tape saturation, the likes of which you can't get with 24 bit DAWs.

Also, I'm sure each of his power and pre tubes were hand-selected, tested, and broken in.

Also, he had guitar techs to painstakingly tune, intone and adjust his guitars according to his specific tastes.

Lastly, the rooms they recorded in sounded perfect. No errant harmonics, properly configured bass traps, no screeching high frequencies and plenty of mid-voices are absorbed by panels.

Phew! Lots of things to consider when recording.

I'm with neo and the others that use no effects.

I just plug in turn on and play.

I call them the 3 easy steps to learning to play guitar.

plug

turn on

play!

+1

For me,(and I profess that my knowledge of technical/equipment issues is minimal) the standout feature of Angus's sound is the way he uses vibrato.I think it's in his fingers,with the help of a "plug in and play" set up that none the less is superbly tweaked by the techs.

I don't have a band doing ACDC covers, so the best I will hope for is to appreciate his technique, glean a little from it, and then move on to absorb other guitar influences as I discover them.

Different ,I suppose if you aim to duplicate his sound on a professional basis, then I could see why it would be more important.

You are also forgetting the other guitar rocking out in the mix - Malcolm's beat up Gretsch. That guy has killer tone too and when you combine the two (SG & Gretsch) it is pure nirvana. Doesn't get more rock and roll than that. For a good example, I highly recommend checking out the live tracks from the Bon Fire box set. There's an in store performance where they rock out High Voltage.

Archived