Gibson Brands Forums

Why amps?

jrseriel

Why do we use amps? Why dont we just use patches from computers with midi capabilities. and a nice loud speaker. Why do we choose amps?

Why ask questions?=D>[-X

Some people like using amps (the majority actually, including me) for the tone and everything that comes with it

Some people like using computers and the sort for ease and everything that comes with that

Personal preference

But......... why can't I play like Slash? #-o

Computers and modeling effects units are getting better all the time but one thing they can not do is act like a tube amp. I have loads of digital effects on my PC and in the Pod XTLive but neither of those units will ever come close to the sounds of a analog tube amp. For recording (because I live in a apartment) I use my Line6 and other digital units recording but live its my pedal board and a tube amp.

You should try the Tonelab LE it actually acts like a tube amp. I can use my guitar volume to clean up or overdrive it like the real deal. If you live in a place you cant crank an amp up this is the best thing out there. I've gotten like 10 people to go try this and 8 have purchased it after trying.

Mind you I love my '79 Marshall JMP.

I spent my childhood modelling - little cars made out of plastic.

Then one day I used the real thing - the smell' date=' the feel, the heat of the engine.

Amps are the same, they smell, they give of warmth, they have character.

You either get it, or you don't get it. If you play through tubes and [i']still[/i]

feel modelling and computers is the way to go - great for you. More amps for me. Nice.

My hat is off, I am awestruck.

Simply a beautiful sentiment.

Add to that airplanes - that really drove the point home for me.

I've flown multi-million dollar full-motion flight simulators for Boeing Cessna and Beech jets.

Very impressive technology.

It's still nothing like putt-putting along at 110 knots in a 'lowly' Cessna 172 in the REAL sky.

Same as all the fancy fretwork in the world;

It doesn't move me like my own LP or 335 plugged into my own JCM 800.

Rip thru some two-string power chords and then finish of with a big full D.

... and let it ring..... sustain..... feedback a little ..... hair on the arms stands up .....

Some of the young guys I work with are always playing music on their cell phone.

Guys, I don't care. It sounds like SH!T coming from a cell phone, okay?!!!

#-o

Here's a thought which may answer the OP.....

All the fancy modelling and emulation stuff around rarely copies solid-state gear.

All those DAW software packages (AmpliTube, Eleven, GearBox, Guitar Rig, Guitar Combos, ReValver etc'), all those Hardware modelling devices (Line6, VOX, Zoom, Boss, Digitech, V-Amp etc;) and all those technologies (COSM, VAMS, REMS etc;)..... they try and emulate the pre-amp tubes successive stages of mild and rounded clipping, the power amp tubes juicy onset of harmonically rich but not harsh distortion as they smoothly move into soft clipping, the output coupling transformer saturation induced non-linearities, the loudspeaker extreme excursion induced compression-like constraints and cone break-up, and the slight power-supply sag induced compression artefacts of old tube amp and cabinet rigs and combos.

Emulation:-

Duplicating the functions of one system using a different system, so that the second system behaves like (and appears to all intents and purposes to be) the first system.

Modelling:-

Replicating the functions of one system using a different system, so that the second system behaves like (and appears in most respects to be) the first system.

Rocking Out:-

Plugging a guitar into a tube amp and finding that sweet spot where the tone starts to sing with you.

All my recordings on Soundclick were done without an amp...or an interface for that matter.

I just run whatever I'm using directly to the computer's soundcard

which usually consists of a Zoom 505II into a Zoom MRS8 (drum/bass programs)

into my laptop. That's it.

Archived