Gibson Brands Forums

Krank Amps

canon_mutant

Just curious . . . I don't see Krank Amps discussed much here. There's the occasional mention of the Rev Jr Pro that I have when folks are GASing for a low watter [frankly too much for a low watter!] but Krank Amps in general don't get much air time.

They have that "shredder" reputation but I know from experience with my Rev Jr Pro that you can get an excellent bluesy crunch out of them if you actually experiment with those "knob thingies!". Since I'm not a shredder, I wouldn't have gotten the Rev Jr. Pro otherwise. You get "good, not exceptional" clean to excellent bluesy crunch to also excellent classic rock growl. And then there's the metal shred for those that care.

Just curious what other people think . . .

And, no I'm not afilliated with Krank, BTW!

I confess I know absolutely nothing about them.

Seen their ads for a few years now and they never caught my eye' date=' I guess they aren't aimed at me.

I always assumed they were a poor kid's Marshall made in China or something.

Am I wrong?[/quote']

Nope, made pretty much in your backyard I believe . . . in Tempe. One of the things I like about them.

Had a friend who owned one and her really liked the amp; it was the Rev Pro 100 watt head and the thing was a aggressive amp on the lead channel but I was not too impressed with the clean channel. In fact I thought it was not my cup of tea. Those are amps for a very specific breed of guitar player for sure. I bet you will not see too many older rockers playing that amp' date=' but loads of people do enjoy those amps.[/quote']

Yeah, sadly, this is their reputation, not the reality. Though it is true you ain't gonna get Fender clean out of them, the idea that they are hi-gain only is simply not true. Like I said, I don't shred.

Out of the box, when I heard the hi-gain rectifier hum kick in, pretty much assumed it would be going back in the box. But spent some time messing with a wide range of sound you can get from them and found a number of settings that a blues-classic rocker like myself can enjoy.

I am at 50, afterall, probably in that "older rocker" group you refer to . . .

My friend has one. I think I remember him calling it a Krankenstein or something like that but I don't know if that's the name of the model or what. He likes it alot. He says it's really versatile.

By the way he's a total shredder but he plays alot of acoustic and blues and stuff. He's a really good player. I need to get him to teach me some stuff.

Nope' date=' made pretty much in your backyard I believe . . . in Tempe. [/quote']

Ya don't say....

Hmmmm....

Well, what's the next hurdle?

Pricey?

Like I said, I just never see them anywhere but Guitar Center.

Nobody I've seen gigs with them in clubs around here - of course I don't do metal/shred shows.

It's a huge market now.

Trying to break in is tough, without an endorser. Even a "dead" endorser......

I'm sure Krank has some, but, like Neo, it's not in my "zone" either......

I've never seen one in a bar.

Murph.

I wont listen to a guitarist that has krank amps...

The gain is to bright on those amps' date=' just not for me. [/quote']

That gets back to "using the knobs" that I referred to earlier. They work.

Nothing personal but I hate shredder music and yet I bought one. Play just blues and classic rock on it.

It's just my "portable" throw and go rig but I'll at least consider them when I go high power again.

That gets back to "using the knobs" that I referred to earlier. They work.

Nothing personal but I hate shredder music and yet I bought one. Play just blues and classic rock on it.

It's just my "portable" throw and go rig but I'll at least consider them when I go high power again.

I know how you feel, im not a big fan of shredder. When i think shredder its guys like paul gilbert and steve vai that go in my mind.

Archived