Gibson Brands Forums

the price of Gibson strings....wow

Hillybilly

i have always used Gibson's Vintage Reissue strings on my Les Paul. And i admit that i do not change my strings enough; in fact i kinda like them worn down and gross. of course, at this point i probably play less than an hour or two every week.

so anyhoo, i decided today the old strings needed to go as they were about a year old, give or take a month or two. both Sam Ash and GC wanted 9.99 for one pack of strings! they used to be $5.99. thats so ridiculous- i'm not paying 10 bucks when i can get a pack of Slinkys for $4.50.

Henry's greed has exceeded even my expectations.

yeah but here is the thing, if you like them, I would get them, if not don't

Get what works for you

again, I am just playing devil's advocate

I like Ernie Ball slinkys, but GC had a huge sale on Dunlop strings recently, they were like 2.50 a pack so I got a couple, they are good strings but I'm not sure what I like yet, they work that's about all I know

I use Gibson VRs, too. Yikes, $10/pack is crazy!!

Up here, they're $7.50/pack and if you buy a 11 packs at a time (like I do) you get one for free.

RichCI keeps posting a link to some website that sells NW strings for around $2.50/pack.

I'm waiting for them to start selling PN strings.

I have always played Ernie Ball 10's, so I have never tried the Gibson VRs. Are they that much better? For $10 you should just buy the strings with that junk on them that last for months (drs? elixir?) I play about an hour a day and I think the best thing you can do to increase string life is simply wiping down the strings after playing- it is a dramatic difference.

I have always played Ernie Ball 10's' date=' so I have never tried the Gibson VRs. Are they that much better? For $10 you should just buy the strings with that junk on them that last for months (drs? elixir?) I play about an hour a day and I think the best thing you can do to increase string life is simply wiping down the strings after playing- it is a dramatic difference.[/quote']

I have dunlop 65 string clean and conditoner, i use it on my guitar every week and it cleans and makes the strings last longer. Ive had the bottle for around a year and a half and their's more then half left.

Well... I like the elixirs. Don't mind paying extra.

In the olden days <grin> I got some fairly pricey strings too while on an expedition or two to experiment. It all depends, I've concluded, with what you like to play more than the price tag. The elixirs are pricey, but feel good to an old fingerpicker for both right and left hands.

So...

m

Now they are made overseas' date=' I thought it would be cheaper.[/quote']

Really? Might have to switch the strings I have been using the past 8+ years; between the price increase, the sweat shop manufacturing, and the fact that they go out of stock every few months (wtf is that about? Not making them Gibson?). Makes me think of the new Fender* Jaguars and Jazzmasters: more expensive than the CIJ series and made in Mexico, i.e. cheaper to make and more expensive at the shop. Super.

*Sorry for saying the F word.

Archived