Gibson Brands Forums

'71 Les Paul Deluxe Goldtop advice

stratele

Hi,

I've been offered one and I'm just looking for some input on this guitar. The price is £1750 GBP, and the only thing non-original on it are the tuners, which have at some point been replaced by Schallers. Also, the pickguard is missing. The neck is straight and true and there are no major issues with the guitar, although to me the bridge looks a bit odd. I love the look of this thing, but have no idea if it's worth the money he's asking. Have a look at the pics, and any advice would be greatly appreciated...

BbYvoHwBmkKGrHqQOKjoEq4ZDEtBKv3e-1.jpg

Guitar28171copy.gif

Guitar28179copy.gif

P1020194copy.gif

P1020195copy.gif

Hello I have looked at the "vintage and rare guitar "website for that shop in Bath(www.vintageandrareguitars.com). They have a 72 goldtop going for £2950.00. it has had Grover kidneys put on it but that seems to be the only mod done to it . It is a lot cleaner than the one you showed in your post, but then it is over a grand more.Also the shop I mention, is top dollar (but you can haggle ). The bridge on your one seems to be the most worrying thing, but it 's not a hard fix ?

Looks to be your basic, garden variety early 70s Deluxe, in fairly good shape. Knobs have been replaced with current prod reflector knobs. Not sure what the exchange is right now, but figuring $2 USD per GBP, at around $3,500 it would depend upon closer examination, condition of the case, etc. A little steep to me, I just paid $1775 for a well used '71 Custom.

Back in that time period it was a pretty common swap to replace the sloppy stock Klusons with Grovers, Schallers, etc. You could install new production Kluson repros, which are quite good, using "step up" bushings. The bridge looks stock to me, saddles have likely been replaced, '71 origs mostly had nylon inserts. The bridge studs may need some attention. It was quite common when that was produced to find that when using light gauge strings the studs were too far forward to permit proper intonation, and / or they were at the wrong angle to the top, causing the strings to rest on the back of the bridge when the stop tail studs were run down. Those may have been bent back to address one or both problems. I just had to address the problem on the aforementioned '71 Custom. Ended up installing new studs and a Tone Pros bridge which permits just enough additional travel to get the intonation spot on.

Ok...first off NO the guitar was NOT in a fire, neither is that "soot" on the guitar. I happen to have a 1974 LP Deluxe Gold Top that I purchased new. The discoloration you're seeing there is a common occurance with the Gold Top guitars. I have seen instances of Gold Tops from 1950's through 1970's that have that look. What has happened is one of a couple of things: either the binding has separated from the top finish, allowing the "Gold" to tarnish OR the finish has worn through and allowed it to tarnish. It's common for gold paints and even gold coins to have some copper added to the gold. My guess is that Gibson had gold paint that has some amount of copper in it...and when it gets exposed to air and moisture it tarnishes. It's similar to a patina you find on copper and bronze statues.

The knobs look close to stock. Mine are also reflector style, but lack the lettering on the one pictured.

The bridge looks the same as mine. I can't tell from that angle if the posts are bent though as someone else stated. I would need to see a side shot of the bridge.

I've never heard or seen the nylon inserts spoken of, but I've never seen a stock '71 so I can't personally say.

I know from checking the Vintage Guitar Price Guide that my 1974 was listed at about $3500 USD. Mine is in considerably better condition that the one you have pictured. Modifications drop the price and finish imperfections drop it even more. I think they have that guitar way overpriced. Its in pretty rough shape.

Check these guys out...they are one of the top vintage dealers in the US...this will give you some idea of prices and conditions: http://www.gruhn.com/

The guitar was not in a fire, that's how the formula for the gold color can react to sweat and other environmental actors. You'll see the same effevct on mnay original 50s gold tops. FWIW, you can tell new production reflector knobs from the originals quite easily: 1) the metal itself is brushed on the new ones, whereas the insert is shiny, clear lacquer coated on the originals 2) on the new ones the top of the bell rises higher above the metal inserts and the edges around the insert are thicker. Vintage LPs, even the 70s variety are less common in the UK and will command a higher price compared to the USA. Can't really compare pricing A vs B for different instruments in the two markets.

Archived