Gibson Brands Forums

DaveinSpain And Other World Travelers...

Murph

Well... I'll weigh in, I guess...

In the pre-digital era I dumped everything electric and it was a long (nearly 6 weeks) work trip in Germany, Netherlands, Belgium and France to do a series of pieces on ag trade between the US and western Europe. I shot the heck out of a couple of hardbody Nikons and did well except for some unexposed film that got screwed up on Xray machines. #$@%#@$

Went to blade razors, etc. Big normal lens with wide-open aperture in those days so a flash was pretty unnecessary if you like kinda a film noir sorta look that was pretty popular in the 1970s newspaper world.

Most of my travels (also Asia and South America) I tried to keep anything electric to a minimum. In the latter two instances I used storebought non-rechargeable flash batteries. Check on what you may need for a regular camera battery. AAs are available everywhere.

Nowadays? Be careful of some of the converters you might consider for camera and/or laptop batteries. Getting something with the proper conversion may cost a few bucks. You may wanna not take the laptop and figure how you can upload camera "digital un-film" to a memory stick or something powered by AAs.

Frankly on trips more than two days for such work I tried to keep everything to a minimum on the assumption - always justified - one can more easily get stuff than one thinks in local stores and I usually kept "stuff" to a backpack minimum, including the stuff I made my living with. Souvenirs, it all depends.

I speak enough German and read enough Dutch and French to order food. That helped.

But then although I wear the cowboy cut Wranglers at home (no snakeskin boots in this part of the world - other stuff yes, not snake), overseas it's inevitably a minimum of coat and tie, but usually a suit and tie. In tropical climates dress pants and dress shirt and tie.

Daveinspain is right about the technical stuff.

A smile and a notebook to draw pictures - an aid in communication where you have no idea of how to make the language work - always seem appropriate.

Oh - and the number 1 is handwritten like a "7" here and the number "7" has a line through it. Also be prepared to tip the ladies who are the potty cleaning ladies and - at least in the older days - had a little desk or whatever outside the restrooms.

Frankly I never got ill overseas although a lot of friends did. I was always more terrified about dental problems or whatever so - I usually carried plainly marked prescription antibiotics and an antibiotic salve. It is a good idea to have some otc anti-diarrhea meds.

You may wanna take some of your fave guitar picks. One never knows.

m

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Milod had some great tips but I think he is a bit off base about bringing a suit or a jacket and tie... Unless of course you are planing to go to some high class gourmet restaurants and don't mind dropping $100 for dinner.

Bring comfortable cloths, try to blend in. Look around and take note of what everyone else is wearing. If you see everyone wearing long pants don't go around in shorts. You will be immediately pegged as a tourist and the target of every pick pocket, thief and beggar in the area.... Just sayin'...

How exciting Murph! :)

I am sure you will have a wonderful time and find the people very welcoming. I know there is a stereotype of the French not liking the English or Amercians, but I have only ever met the most polite and accommodating people. I have always found Italian people on the whole very warm and laid back and again despite the misconception of the no humour Germans, I have found their humour very full on and belly achingingly funny!

I think when people try very hard to fit in, in a foreign country, they end up like a geek at a party who tries so hard to say and do all the right things, but end up failing drastically; ie by looking very self conscious and not fitting in a tall LOL.

Re The National Lampoon's European Vacation mention, I love when Chevy getting all homesick and patriotic says to Russ of all the great Amercicans and he includes Einstein. Russ corrects him and says "dad Einstein was German" his reply under tears is "it is hard to tell under that accent"

Matt

lot's of good advice so I'll only add this.

Give up now on getting ice in your drinks like pop etc. they serve it cold and don't understand the concept of i e in the glass even if you ask they look at you funny then bring two ice cubes. this is especially true in Italy there not mean about it they just do not get the concept of wanting a glass of ice. Italy was the hardest language wise which was weird as they really tried hard but a lot of people did not speak english well. Keep change for tips especially public restrooms and don't be afraid of the food some of the best food and cofee etc. I had it Italy came from the gas stations that are huge truck stop type places that sell everything.

Dave....

My Europe was 30 years ago. And I was "working" at embassies, accounting firms and such most of the time. Asia and South America pretty much ditto although only 20 years ago and the suit was frankly a work uniform. I also usually took black "khakis" that don't show wrinkles much depending on the type of place I would end up going, and in cool weather a light bomber jacket as well as a "London Fog" type top coat.

Yeah, world culture has changed a lot, but the suit still would be a current work uniform for me except in the tropics. I dunno what regular tourists look like because frankly I've only had one such trip since 1965. Band trips in the north central US region were different, but don't really count.

I will admit the "dressup" thing can get a bit odd. After doing a capoeira demonstration with a local at a martial arts event in western Brazil, I hadda toss the shirt and tie thanks to a combination of sweat and the red dust. <grin> But I was young and full of hot blood as they say. Was only 50 at the time. And my suits were always cut for movement.

Jeans always are too restrictive in ways, even for jumping a fence when taking bull riding pix. I usually wear really baggy ones. Not exactly "Wrangler butt," but a lot safer for an old guy.

As for drink temperatures? Hey, learn to live with lukewarm stuff, it's not the end of the world and it really changes your perspective. I will admit, though, that toward the end of a 6-week trip a cold coke is worth its weight in gold. <grin>

m

Dave -

I just got thinking - no, I didn't wear a suit in the Korean Buddhist temple, either. <grin> Don't ask what I was wearing, though. It still was kinda a work uniform, one might say. Khakis and two-pocket shirts, photog vest. In Seoul or cities, though, always a suit.

m

Hey Milod, I kinda figured you were talking about some years ago when referencing the need for a suit or at least a jacket and tie... Things have changed so much. Of course the way you dress depends on where you are going and what social circles you find yourself in...

Mostly my trips were work - hence the suits.

But as we both agree, a lot depends on where and what you're doing.

I did take one cruise to the Bahamas - no suits even though it was actually work. <grin>

Also almost all my shirts are two-pocket for work, even with a suit. Properly cut a suit is easier to move in than jeans and actually more comfortable than khakis for air travel.

But then I also tend to look at clothes as kinda like military utilities and the more pockets and such the happier I am.

And... heck, at my age I can look like an older guy in a suit without seeming too odd. And I'd not care to interview some bigwig looking like I just stepped out of a rodeo arena. <grin> I will admit I don't own "shoes" except a pair or two only for working out.

Hmmmm. Right now working late? Two-pocket buttondown collar dress shirt, no tie; close but not tight-fit Wranglers, "ropers," tweed sportcoat and black hat (on the hat tree until I shut this computer down and go home.) In summer make the hat straw and swap a light fishing vest for the sportcoat.

m

Thanks all.

No England, I wish, but it's all predetermined, Italy, Germany, and Austria.

"London Homesick Blues" was on my mind when I made the Snakeskin Boot comment, ksg. Rest assured I will have some "manly footwear" for the trip......

The food is always a big factor for me, even here in the States you can drive just a few hours for a totally different flavor. Having lived from Ohio to Florida to Oregon, Arizona, Louisiana, and Texas I know that well.

And, of course, looking forward to some great beer.

Hey Murph why don't you tell us a little bit about the gig...

It's a local choral group, my daughter got in a few months back, they are doing performances in this area and have one in Florence, and one in Salzburg, perhaps more next summer.

The director is a real study on classical stuff, and it's a great thing for her.

She was playing a 1/2 size fiddle, and taking lessons at age 5, and could yodel, then we got her a vocal teacher, and also put her into piano lessons at age 6. She got a Les Paul Studio (Fireburst) for her 9th birthday when she was getting bored (and too cool) for the fiddle.

I'm not really pushing her too much, just putting a lot of options in her hands.

Best to ya.

Thanks all.

The food is always a big factor for me' date=' even here in the States you can drive just a few hours for a totally different flavor. Having lived from Ohio to Florida to Oregon, Arizona, Louisiana, and Texas I know that well.

And, of course, looking forward to some great beer.

We have the best Mexican food in Arizona +:-@

Murph...

With all due respect, it sounds as if your support for your daughter's music is going the right way - support but not glowering orders to do X or Y.

Sounds like a great kid and your trip a great fun thing with your kid - may she break a leg. <chuckle>

m

Murph...

With all due respect' date=' it sounds as if your support for your daughter's music is going the right way - support but not glowering orders to do X or Y.

Sounds like a great kid and your trip a great fun thing with your kid - may she break a leg. <chuckle>

m

[/quote']

Thanks milod. It's a fine line.

Part of me wants to force her to play 2 hours a day, and stick with one instrument, bla, bla, but I just can't do it.

#1, I love her first.

#2, I'm a damned good bass player, and enjoy it, but when I'm on a 6 string is when I'm hunting bear and out to kick your a$$. Who am I to choose her instrument? She's 9 years old. I never touched a guitar until I was 11. (played in a bar at age 12, though, but she did that at age 8......)

We have the best Mexican food in Arizona +:-@

I've been gone from the Valley since '82, but I remember the enchiladas at Freemont Jr. High on Bush Highway as some of the best ever. That school was a bunch of pods with sidewalks going from one to another. I bet it's long gone now.

Murph' date=' you should take the tele with you. I mean its a guitar but...its a tele. You can say its your beater. [/quote']

Have you seen what the airlines are charging for baggage lately? I haven't played that Tele in over a year, since I got the 339.

I should just send it to you for a few months, you could change the strings and clean her up a little.....

+:-@

Have you seen what the airlines are charging for baggage lately? I haven't played that Tele in over a year' date=' since I got the 339.

I should just send it to you for a few months, you could change the strings and clean her up a little.....

+:-@ [/quote']

All my guitars and temp guitars get a nice cleaning everyweek, strings, fretborad, body. You name it...ill clean it.

Archived